MiG-21R - Eduard, 1/48

Hi all,

Here's my new project I've started recently.

I'll be building the MiG-21R, here is the link to >>>AIRLINERS<<<

I'll be using the Eduard MiG-21 in 1/48th scale with Eduard Brassin cockpit set and Brassin wheel set + some scratchbuild details and maybe a few other details which I'll show you in the topic.

Brassin cockpit set is near finished. It's not finished yet, but enough to put it inside the fuselage, so I can continue with assembly. Cockpit si very good, although prepainted cockpit PE details is very hard to match.

Here's the seat, minus the ejection handle. Also, I've painted the headrest wrong, since on the actual aircraft is painted black, so I'll do that later.

mig-21-01_zps122d0045.jpg

Cockpit:

mig-21-05_zps205a285a.jpg

mig-21-04_zps9ea18e00.jpg

I've also drilled holes and replaced them with needles. Also, few panels that aren't there on real aircraft were filled.

mig-21-03_zpsfe502bc3.jpg

mig-21-02_zpsa2ef06d6.jpg

All your suggestions and critques are wellcome.

That's all for now, stay tuned.

Kristijan

Hi Kristian,

Before you go any further. There is a small mix up with the openings on the No.7. fuel tank (on the spine). The after opening is a fuel system overflow and it should have a tube coming out of it (like you did on the last photo). While the front opening is for the fuel system pressuraziton system and it should look like the one you did for the after part. Here they have simply welded a L shaped alu tube going up to the system under the small intake on top of the fuel tank. it would be fairly simple to redo them at this stage.

Best regards

Gabor

Hi Gabor,

Thanx for the input, but I don't understand what you mean. :dontknow:

Here's the actual bird's photos from the museum:

Front hole

dscf5951_zps3511c06a.jpg

Tail hole

dscf5952f_zpse72d6f2e.jpg

Although, I see now that i used too wide needles, I'll replace them B)

On the front hole it is just a weld line, it is not a tube coming out from the fuel tank. The whole tank 7. is a one piece assembly from aluminium which includes this welded tube end in it. It is a bit different on individual aircraft, on some a/c the weld line is deep inside the tank structure but in most cases around the surface line. It is not so prominent as shown on your kit with the inserted tube. On my example I simply drilled a hole, made some bends on its surface and added the weld line from a very thin stretched sprue, suitably melted with very thin plastic glue.

On the second photo it is a fuel overflow went and in this case it is actually a tube coming through the hole in the cover panel. You can lift up the cover panel (inverted U shaped) and the tube with all its support systems will be there in place. The length of the tube is different on almost every aircraft and in some cases it sticks out from the surface by even 3-5 cm while on other aircraft it is almost a flash fit.

I did make some close ups of the real aircraft, try to find it for you.

Best regards

Gabor

Edited by ya-gabor
  • 3 weeks later...

Thank you for nice comments. ;)/>

Marek, thank you for your reference pics, whey'll be very helpful.

I've made some progress, corrected the first hole, and the rear one will be pushed more inside , for a half a mm.

MiG-nastavak05_zpsfd9e96af.jpg

Also, removed some panels that shouldn't be there ont he R version

MiG-nastavak02_zps5292b8e8.jpg

I've put some Quickboost air scoops on and glued the halfes together

MiG-nastavak04_zps0597826b.jpg

MiG-nastavak03_zpsa793fa54.jpg

Also, put the Aires wheelbay in. Unlike the rest of the kit and sets, this wheelbay fit has a realy poor fit. But that just may be my fault.

MiG-nastavak06_zps52392512.jpg

And finally, i'.ll schratchbuild the exhaust cover.

MiG-nastavak01_zpsdca7dbce.jpg

That's all for now, stay tuned.

Kristijan

Edited by kiki.o