Hasegawa F-4S -VMFA-251 Thunderbolts

At the request of a few ARC members, here are some pics of a project I completed in 2003. It started life as a Hasegawa F-4J and was then converted to an F-4S with the aid of Paragons slat set and a few other aftermarket goodies as well as pieces from one of Hasegawas' Hi-Grade kits. I built this model after a 15 year hiatus and at the time I didn't know anything about the weathering techniques that are so common these days such as pre/post shading and salt weathering. That said, the paint job is pretty straight forward with a wash and pastels making up the bulk of the weathering effects so consequently, the paint job is showing It's age. The only saving grace is that the real a/c that inspired the build of this model was rather pristine as shown by the pic I included during It's visit to what logically appears to be Top Gun as evident by the F-5 and A-4 kill markings on the splitter plate.

As this model was finished before I knew about ARC, the only people that have seen this model are those that attended the 04' Nationals in Phoenix and the local southern California shows. I felt rather weird about resurrecting this beast being that It is past It's hay day but I'm almost positive 95% of ARC'ers have never seen it so here it is.

At the time, this model had some very unique ideas built into it including: dropping the inboard leading edge flaps, slotted stabilizers, watch screws/nuts for the pylon sway braces, deployed drag chute, stainless steel tubing for all cylinder pistons and scratch made G-Suits. Needless to say, all the research and detailing turned this into a 2-3 year project as is typical for me. Hope you all enjoy the pics.

DSCN9875.jpg

F-42aspx.jpg

F-4aspx.jpg

F-41aspx.jpg

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Valdez told me about this F-4S and said the Slotted Stabs were remarkable. I am here to say they as well as the rest of this model is REMARKABLE! Crisp and well put together.

Like to know how you did those stabs if you'd like to elaborate!

Wish I'd been in Phoenix for this one... Would have loved to see this in person and snap a few shots. I'd still like to photograph it!

Happy New Year!

Larry McCarley

Thanks guys, glad you all like it. It definitely challenged me, especially making and getting the inboard leading edge flaps to fit as well as handling the model with slats and flaps down and not breaking things off.

Thanks again

NICE!!!!!!!!!!! VERY NICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike Valdez told me about this F-4S and said the Slotted Stabs were remarkable. I am here to say they as well as the rest of this model is REMARKABLE! Crisp and well put together.

Like to know how you did those stabs if you'd like to elaborate!

Wish I'd been in Phoenix for this one... Would have loved to see this in person and snap a few shots. I'd still like to photograph it!

Happy New Year!

Larry McCarley

Thanks Larry. I know Mike very well and have had many beers with him during the big shows. I'd be happy to explain the method I used for the slotted stabilizers and will even include some pics but I don't think the "Display" forum is the proper place to do this in. I can send you a private message if you want or if you have any other suggestions feel free to let me know. My intent is not to be secretive about it, just not sure where to add the information.

As far as you snapping pics is concerned, if you plan on attending any of the upcoming local model shows just let me know and I can drag it out of the dungeon and take it with me. I usually attend the Pasadena, Orangecon and sometimes the Antelope Valley and Ontario shows.

Thanks again for the compliments and say hi to Mike for me.

Elmo

Beautiful Phantom Elmo.

The extra detailling truly sets this one apart but everything about the model looks flawless from your images. It's apparent that you have a great deal of talent and skill sir. Well done and thanks for sharing such a delighful build.

Cheers and a very Happy New Year.

Elmo,

you made one of the best Sierra I've seen and don't find nothing of wrong in your painting,it look pretty the same of the real plane.

Also I love the G-suit;as figure painter and sculptor,I can affirme that these details that made a model "live". :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

:wave: Gianni

This is just sick Wardog!!! And this was built in '03?!!! Very fascinating, even the weapon pylon attachment points are amazing, especially at this scale...

OK, now that I went back and read yer introduction... Very nice, watch screws and nuts for the attachments, just awesome.

/Jesse

Edited by JesniF-16

JesniF-16, you are too kind. I was quite happy with the results especially since it was my first model after a 15 year break. The watch screw idea came from a modeling article I had read back then about a guy using watch movement gears on the rotor head of his helicopter. When I tore into a movement I found an amazing amount of parts that could be used to detail aircraft, the screws were one of them. I also thought I had done a better job of filling in the slots on the screw heads but apparently not. Glad you liked it anyway.

Edited by wardog
  • 2 weeks later...