Why do you have a stash LARGER than you can build?

Mainly 'cause I can't control myself. Actually though, up until the time I retired from the USAF my stash was not all that big & I was always able to find time to build them. Since I've retired, & went back to work full time, it seems I have less time available to work on a kit (its seems like I have less time off from work now than I did when I was in the military), hence I'm buying way more than I should, i.e. last year I bought between 10-15 kits from varioius sources. I finished (sort of) 1 and have another just started on the bench that I haven't touched in over 2 weeks.

Hmmmm

I really don't have an answer to this..... :jaw-dropping:/>

Perhaps the most logical to me is an over active imagination with a pinch of over confidence that ...I can build and display all of them......yeah I will stick with that.....:)/>

Just coming from putting a bid on ebay :woot.gif:/>

good question this is......

rgds

mr b

Edited by Mr B
  • 2 weeks later...

Funny, because my stash is nothing like anyone's on the board. I have 6 in the stash and 2 on the table. I love working on them but can't find the time, and having those 8 around the house (even though they are put away), stresses me out. Problem is, and even though I won't get to all of these for another two years, I'm going to end up buying the Academy F-4B and the GWH Mig-29....because I can't help myself. ARG!!!!

I had an awesome stash I was proud of, so many nice and hard to find models. That was back in 2008. I moved overseas so I sold my entire stash, which was alright since it was worth something. Now I have 2 models in my stash. During the time I've been out of the hobby there have been many releases that I would have loved to build. Now they are no longer available. That's why I would have a stash. Buy em while you can because after they are long gone or only available on poopbay for stupid prices.

I always find these questions rather odd. Ok you have your stash. You've been good and not bought any new. You get to the last kit in your stash. Then what? You only have two choices. Give up the hobby or start a new stash?

Me? I ain't a quitter! All you folk who think you have too many to do before you die, send 'em my way. :coolio:

I always find these questions rather odd. Ok you have your stash. You've been good and not bought any new. You get to the last kit in your stash. Then what? You only have two choices. Give up the hobby or start a new stash?

Me? I ain't a quitter! All you folk who think you have too many to do before you die, send 'em my way. :coolio:/>

Not so fast! I get the 1/72 scale models! ;-)

Wayne

Me? I ain't a quitter! All you folk who think you have too many to do before you die, send 'em my way. :coolio:/>

I think the OP was more focused on answers from the folks who buy 12-15 kits a month and only build two a year. lol. I do see your logic here. My ideal solution to a reasonable stash is to buy what you're really interested in building, and then call it quits until you get it built. With what I have in my arsenal right now, I know it's enough for me to stay excited about the possibilities and options available to me, while not having to feel stressed out at the fact that I've got 937 kits waiting in the "to do" list. lol. Once this dwindles, hopefully the next volley of new kits will be waiting, and possibly not still be subject to the sometimes ridiculous release prices that are often offered at kit release.

Free room & board while in the Air Force. Modelers selling their kits dirt cheap at the meetings. Hoarding in case all the model company factories burn down. Have something to do other than kill zombies during the zombie apocolypse.

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

First off, modelers can justify ANYTHING. So, the way I justify it is two-fold. First, the quality now is the best it has ever been, in most cases. Therefore, one must repurchase planes bought many years ago that suffered in the detail department. Secondly, the subjects available now are more than there were several years ago. Got to have 'em! There used to be a third part, but I don't do it anymore. I will list it though. I had to be the first one in the club to have the newly released models, sometimes before the hobbyshops got them. I outgrew that one. That one is WAY TOO EXPENSIVE to keep up! Just my 2 cents.

Don

Like a few others, I don't accept the premise that I won't live long enough to build it all.

And yes, PERHAPS that's denial. But I'm also 'only' 37 and have every intention of living at least another 50 active and independent years ;)

My stash hasn't grown much in the last 5 years; only a couple here and there every other year when I make it to a show and find something at a ridiculous bargain; there was a time, maybe 10 years ago, when I was buying much more often off of e-Bay (still good bargains - my tactic was to browse auctions that were ending in the next 24 hours that had somehow escaped everyone's notice, and get things at $5 or less - and only one time did the shipping bite me in the rear, when I found a Zvezda Flanker for a dollar, but then found out the shipping from Russia would cost me $10 :rolleyes: ).

When I moved back up here over 4 years ago, I just didn't have the time to build OR browse E-bay so my stash didn't grow OR shrink.

I haven't done an inventory, but it all fits in about half of a relatively small bedroom closet so I don't feel it's out of hand. And it was all acquired at a relatively low financial investment. I don't get to build near as much as I like right now, but I like to think of it like an investment in future liesure time when I AM able to build at a much more respectable rate.

Now, my Netflix queue and list of books I'm interested in reading? THOSE will easily live longer than me.

• 1 month later...

I doubt coming to a scale modeling forum helps if anything, probably will cause it to become worse. I tune into Revell's Facebook page today (updates are always posted on my newsfeed) and see this:

306169_549346488430956_430932484_n.png

Mind flashes right back to my first Abbotsford International Airshow, where I saw the Starfighters streaking overhead doing a demonstration. And to see Revell come out with one in MY scale (1/48) made me think: I want one! Yes, I know. Obsessive Compulsive Disorder kicking in right about now.

And...I also need this kit too. :(

PT45.jpg

And this one:

aca_1689_title.jpg

...and...

See what I mean?

What I have to do is cold-shower that impulse with this:

Nikkor-600mm-f-4G-VR-AF-S-Lens.jpg

and know that I can shoot a higher calibre wildlife photography than to which I would be able to ever build my model kits.

185703_10151382910330295_1126164925_n.jpg

Which would make more sense to me to follow... I think the lens over the three kits. :(

Edited by The_Animal

You're welcome, Kevin. :evil-laughter:

I need Nikkor-600mm-f-4G-VR-AF-S-Lens.jpg for my professional wildlife photography business. :) Luckily my dear SWMBO (though I don't do a very good job of obeying) agrees that I should get said lens. :) ...and said supports (A Gitzo Series 5 tripod and a gimbal as well as TC-14EII & TC-17EII teleconverters)

Then I can get photos better than this:

01-11-2013_BBAP_mature_bald_eagle_sitting_on_powerpole_wm.jpg

N-IKON D300s+70-200mm f/2.8 VRII (cropped image). :D

Edited by The_Animal

Wonder if that might be a less expensive Hasegawa re-box?

Matters not, have 3 in the stash and only plans for two of them.

I'll bet the -104G is the Monogram kit with new decals.

Mike

Mike, my gut says it's a re-pop. Doubt that Revell would go to the trouble of a new mold kit. :( The Starfighter I built in the late 80s had some serious fit issues. Then again my skills in model-building suck so...it could have been that too. :bandhead2:

My favourite part of this hobby is the research and the accumulation of parts to make the models. I'm quite "faddy" and change my mind often.

I've got a huge stash and far more kits and particularly accessories than I can ever use.

That said, I have found that buying in bulk when you can, saves hassle later.

A case in point. When the cross delta stiffener plates were on sale in 1/48, I bought 6 sets. I am glad I did because they're now OOP and hard to get. Similarly with decals. I've got decals galore as my "thing" is test aircraft and Aggressors / Adversaries. Most are now unavailable, but that's ok because I've got them :)

I've got about 5 Hasegawa Scooters (destined to be adversaries), 6 Tamiya Vipers (Aggressors and Test) and several Hornets (Test aircraft).

I really think that we get inspired by great models online or in a book / magazine and think; "Hey, I'm going to do that" and we accumulate all the things required. The we see another model and think, "Hey that's cool, I'm going to do that" and so the cycle goes on.

My favourite part of this hobby is the research and the accumulation of parts to make the models. I'm quite "faddy" and change my mind often.

I've got a huge stash and far more kits and particularly accessories than I can ever use.

A case in point. When the cross delta stiffener plates were on sale in 1/48, I bought 6 sets. I am glad I did because they're now OOP and hard to get. Similarly with decals. I've got decals galore as my "thing" is test aircraft and Aggressors / Adversaries. Most are now unavailable, but that's ok because I've got them :)/>

I've got about 5 Hasegawa Scooters (destined to be adversaries), 6 Tamiya Vipers (Aggressors and Test) and several Hornets (Test aircraft).

I really think that we get inspired by great models online or in a book / magazine and think; "Hey, I'm going to do that" and we accumulate all the things required. The we see another model and think, "Hey that's cool, I'm going to do that" and so the cycle goes on.

This sounds to me like probably one of the most relevant reasons. I think everyone has good intentions, and at one point or another would love to see everything in their stash flying from the ceilings on strings, or all in a good looking order on a shelf, but like you said...it's easy to become distracted. That's why I try to focus more on what's on the bench than what's in the closet. Sure, I like to shop around the hobby sites to see what's new, or whats close to releasing, but unless it's a REALLY cool deal, then I usually just wait, and realize that the money I spend now is going towards something that's going to probably sit for 6-12 months anyways, so....why not wait 6-12 months until I need it? So far that's worked out good, although I must admit, my 1:32 stash has grown from one to four kits over the past three months, but I only paid "full" retail price on one of them, and that was the Trumpeter Super Hornet. The other three were the Academy F-18A+, F-16CG, and Tamiya CJ. I got the CJ at 50% off during the squadron.com black friday sale...and the other two greatly discounted from squadrons mystery deal thread. If it's a really cool plane that I've actually eyeballed in the past with intention of wanting to do it, and I find a sweet deal on it, then yes. I'll justify the expense because it was something that I had planned on buying down the road anyhow, however, my list doesn't grow every time I add something to it. I'm actually only about 12 kits away from having every ideal kit that I've really anticipated having since I got back into the hobby about 14 months ago.

A case in point. When the cross delta stiffener plates were on sale in 1/48, I bought 6 sets. I am glad I did because they're now OOP and hard to get. Similarly with decals. I've got decals galore as my "thing" is test aircraft and Aggressors / Adversaries. Most are now unavailable, but that's ok because I've got them :)/>/>/>

I agree with "scapilot" on "Loki's" answer, it is the most relevant to my own reasons I have a "stash monster" in the garage and another starting to crowd my already tight work space. Mine grew by about 1/2 after my dad passed away and I inherited his stash. Since our interest differed somewhat (Does anyone else out there love Japanese torpedo bombers and scout planes from WWII ??!) I began selling some at shows/contests and then buying kits I wanted.

Now a days I think of it as a "rotating stash", I'll go through and pick out kits I have no/lost interest in building or room to display and grab a table at a show, sell a few, buy a few...

Loki says, "My favourite part of this hobby is the research and the accumulation of parts to make the models." I enjoy that as well, just last weekend I picked up a Revell F-86D and F-86F-40...in order to build a wing with slats extended for a Collect Aire F-86H I have standing by and also to "rob" parts such as drop tanks, cockpit tub and a few other bits to finish it out.

I am simply amazed. I do not have a stash, as I have been away from modeling for over 40 years. Back then I was allowed to purchase a model kit (and supplies) from my paper route earnings provided that 1) it cost no more than 5% of my earnings for the month (that was considerable back than) and 2) I had completed building my previous purchase. Now that I have started up again, I still follow the one rule -- no purchases until I am finished with the current kit. (I have already broken that rule -- I have two kits in the wings. Don't tell my mom). But you folks have told me a cautionary tale. I am now frightened of what may happen to me, because I do tend to get immersed in the things I get interested in....

God help me. I have already started the construction of my man cave. :blush:/>

Edited by txchamps