Why do you have a stash LARGER than you can build?

In addition to the "once it is sold out it is gone" thoughts above (which I also believe in), I needed more than one kit to build what I wanted to do.

For example, it is pretty easy to build a high quality F-15 in 1/72, right? Well, I only wanted one specific example to go with my mostly USN aircraft. That aircraft is the F-15 ASAT bird. So, I bought the Esci kit to get the missile. Then the Hasegawa kit to get a really good kit of the aircraft. And when Wolfpak made the missile's decals, those were a no brainer also.

The same thing happened with my F-4F,,,,,,,the aircraft was easy, but, I wanted the MW-1 system for it,,,,,so, I have a Tornado that I will never build, because that kit had the MW-1 and was cheaper than an aftermarket kit (if it exists, that is)

I like the Fujimi and Airfix Skyhawks,,,,,but, an Esci Skyhawk is far cheaper than resin drop tanks of the correct size,,,,,so, I have a tall stack of the Esci Skyhawks,,,,,all cheaper than the resin tanks (and the Esci kit was correct and done first, before the resin came out)

We buy kits to get the decals out of them for "better" kits that are newer, also. (I have two sets of the USN F-4J's 'first flight' markings that I will use on a new Hasegawa tooling)

I figure about 300 of my 600 kits will get built,,,,,,and the rest won't be worth a nickle to try and sell off as used kits.

A couple of different answers

a) just in case I get snowed in for 20 years and need something to do

B) so that I have choices

c) to will to my son who is not quite 2 now but will surely love my strange hobby

d) because my interests shift faster then the rate at which I can actually build something

e) because it seemed like a good idea at the time?

f) sales. I rarely pay full price for any of my kits

Edited by twhite80

Geez Terry,,,,,,,so does that create a tie with "current projects: none"?

I would like to know how all the people that don't "bleeve" in stashes think that other modelers kitbash things?

Just an FYI, you need kits with different parts to look at, in order to combine them into a model.

Well my stash is quite impressive. Seriously I have huge stash! People always comment how large my stash is when I show it to them. Frankly they can't believe how big it is. The more I think about my stash the bigger it gets! There are people that say that size doesn't matter when it is about your stash but i think they're wrong. I mean what defines you more than how big your stash is? One look at my stash and you'll wonder why your stash is so small.

You are talking about your stash aren't you ?? :scared0016:

Well, I have another, slightly different question. If You manage to build all of Your models from the stash, where will You put them?

Ok, ok... that was actually from a talk with SWMBO... luckily she is supportive of my obses... I mean hobby. Otherwise it could have turned real ugly real quick ;)

On the subject - I buy them just in case I don't have any money in the future to buy new ones;)

When I got back into the hobby several years ago after a 30 plus year hiatus, I promised myself that this time I would never have a stash more then a max of 12 kits. Yep, you read it right. There is always new kits coming out in my areas of interest. Kits with better detail, designed and manufactured to a higher standard then the same model offering's 10 years or so ago. I only build one model at a time, and average 4 builds per year. I've haven't yet not been able to find any discontinued/out of stock kit I really want, and that includes all the AM stuff I'm interested in. The hunt is half the fun for me.

I'm semi retired, will full retirement in 1 1/2 years, so I don't have any reason to have a buy now build later philosophy. I'm not going to be around more then another 20 years or so max, and I highly doubt it that much past my mid 80's I'll be physically able to build detailed models. Most seniors shake, have poor eye sight, and God knows what else. So I just enjoy the hobby now one kit at a time.

For those of you that think that kit collecting is a good investment, the average kit looses value the longer it's out of production. I have several long time modeling friends from the 70's who collected literally 1,000s of kits believing that what they didn't build, and eventually didn't want, could be sold for a profit, or at least break even. Now they go to every local show/convention/contest, and spend their time at rented tables trying to sell 30 year old kits that no one really wants unless you're practically giving them away, instead of enjoying the show for all it has to offer. Yes, there is always the exception to that rule. But for the vast majority of kits, it's not that way. What you buy, you should buy with the intent of building it in the foreseeable future.

And for those that haven't given any thought to just what happens to your stash when your gone, make some plans in your will for it's disposition. More then one old time friend that have passed, had their stash's eventually given away by their family since they had no use for the kits, and you really can't take them with you. What no one wanted, ended up in the local landfill.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Frankly, I like to hunt down kits and buy them. It's fun. I also like surveying my stash to decide on my next build. I think I also spend a fair bit of time just managing the stash (not quite as much as I spend building, but it's still a fair amount). Maybe when I retire I'll have time to build them all--but since I'm a really slow builder, I'm not so sure that will be the case.

Well, I have another, slightly different question. If You manage to build all of Your models from the stash, where will You put them?

Ok, ok... that was actually from a talk with SWMBO... luckily she is supportive of my obses... I mean hobby. Otherwise it could have turned real ugly real quick ;)/>

On the subject - I buy them just in case I don't have any money in the future to buy new ones;)

That is my issue. I have half the basement BUT I am tossing/giving away a model for every new one I make.

That is my issue. I have half the basement BUT I am tossing/giving away a model for every new one I make.

Phantom,

I'm assuming that eventually all of us that actively build, will reach a stage that wherever and or however we display or store our finished models, that the allotted space will eventually run out. For now I have one 10 x 12 bedroom that is solely mine which is my man cave, used exclusively as my computer/modeling room. Even with that space, I have limited display space. That's the main reason why I've stayed out of the 1/32 scale market.

Like you, I can visualize the time when I will have to give away or trash one old model for every newly completed one. And even more depressing is the fact that sooner then later, we'll be selling our home of 35 years, and moving to North Carolina to a retirement community. No home, but rather a 2 bedroom condo, with one bedroom being a guest bedroom. Haven't the faintest idea of where or how I'll be able to display my finished models then. Most likely just one large display cabinet, where just the best of the best will survive.

Joel

Edited by Joel_W

Looking back, my stash grew out of a quasi-obsession with trying to complete a series, e.g. when I was actively creating and updating my F-16 website I was always hunting down and buying every F-16 kit variant and decal sheet I could get my hands on (within my already strained budget). Over time that stack got pretty large.

Because collecting it bit by bit made me happy! When I go into the stash lately i think to myself what an idiot I was. I should have bought stocks and bonds! I have started to try to whittle at the collection and have stopped buying much. Selling has it's own frustrations I won't go into but selling stocks and bonds would only take a phone call.

Bottom line is this. I grew up in a family that did not have much. So I made sure I would never want for another kit EVER! I kind of am that way with bicycles. I wanted a Schwinn when I was a kid and we couldn't afford one. My first bike was something I think my Dad found. It was a girls bike! All the kids made fun of me so my Dad had a buddy weld a bar up top to convert it. When I got a ten speed I didn't get a Varsity or Continental but some piece of crap welded waterpipe 10sp from EJ. Korvettes...

So that is why I now have 6 Schwinn 10speeds in the garage and I wouldn't trade my World Sport for any of the thousands of dollars Uber-Bikes I see on the trail...

So bottom line is I have a large collection because it makes me happy and I guess feel secure. It fills in a lot of holes in my childhood.....

Max Bryant

Max,

Each of us has a reason for everything we do. I've followed one path based on my life experiences, and you have followed another path based on your life experiences. Now that I have some insight into your "why", I certainly commend you for attaining those goals which are important to you.

Joel

I picked up around 250 kits over the years. About a year ago, and downsized and unload a huge amount of kits to my son, who has been building and enjoying the hell out of them. I am about to move into a town home where I will have room to work and display so I can get back into it.

I always wanted a bunch of kits to chose from, and I purchased all but a couple at greatly reduced rates.