While I'm trying to work a solution for my destroyed (my own fault...) Vindicator canopy I decided to do a speed build.

I did this P-40 once in 1994. I was nine. I know a lot can change in eighteen years but I didn't expect the molds for Revell's 1964 wonder to have such bad fit now! Of coarse the detail is raised and the kit is no doubt common, but I will walk you through my build.

1. Here are the sprues laid out on my work area.

2. Since it's a speed build (2-3 days max) I decided to do some prepainting and pre shading before construction. I sprayed Tamiya Yellow-Green in the insides first, Tamiya Flat Aluminium second, and plain Model Master Flat Black last.

3. Wheel doors built up, requiring sanding.

4. My build with most sanding complete.

5. Most parts attached.

I'm still waiting to paint the pilot and attach the canopy.

IMG_1345_zps35c6c21b.jpg

IMG_1347_zps9138f7c8.jpg

IMG_1351_zps200c1e26.jpg

IMG_1353_zpsa82bae60.jpg

IMG_1358_zpsfe33abdc.jpg

It's Day 2.5 and I have the big stuff out of the way. I have to confess, painting is my least favorite part of model building.

Anyways, I have done some serious painting here, with Tamiya Olive Drab and Medium Grey. I was unpleasantly surprised by the darkness of the olive drab, it's almost Wesley Snipes dark (please don't kill me for that!!! :D). I added some detailing powder with a makeup applicator, courtesy of my wife, and I am pleasantly surprised by the result.

IMG_1359_zps2dccd6f2.jpg

IMG_1362_zps8984ae70.jpg

IMG_1364_zpscbd42d63.jpg

I did the silver weathering on the top with a dental scribe, lightly moving over traffic areas of the aircraft before the olive has totally dried.

Thanks,

While the solvent is doing its work on the large 'ARMY' decal I decided to paint and install the pilot and the pitot tube. The pitot tube is nothing special in this kit. I suppose I could have built a wire one, but I'm getting tired of this build. The prop disc blur attempt (my method seen here http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=254406&st=0&p=2413896&hl=prop&fromsearch=1entry2413896 )was a failure due to a broken circle cutter lock, so that will come at a later date. Also, I tried adding radio wires for the for time. I think they are thick, but it's fine by me. :D

Once the Army decal sets over a circular bump I will give this about 3 coats of Flat Laquer.

IMG_1371_zpsac2e95ca.jpg

IMG_1369_zps470d40d1.jpg