The Modern Hornet Guide

ModernHornetGuide_cover_zps4bf15aad.jpg

This one has been a long time coming, but is finally at the printers. As the name implies, it covers the Legacy Hornets going back to the first A/B models of 1982. It covers all versions of the Legacy Hornet, tracking all changes and upgrades to the jet over the past 30 years, including the D-model Night Attack jet used by the USMC and Malaysia, ATARS recon package, cockpit upgrades, GPS, JHMCS, etc.

Special sections of the book showcase the jet during carrier operations.

ModernHornetGuide12-13_zps365d2ca0.jpg

Other sections show the jet in export service, with pages dedicated to every nation that has operated the jet. This spread obviously shows the RCAF.

ModernHornetGuide22-23_zpsbec68d47.jpg

Then, naturally, we dive into the guts of the jet, showing the details.

ModernHornetGuide92-93-1_zps2edc419f.jpg

ModernHornetGuide140-141_zps4d9d1c64.jpg

Open panels are shown, like usual.

ModernHornetGuide132-133_zps3bc218d7.jpg

Unique changes to the jets made by export customers are shown. This page shows the RCAF's unique main gear.

ModernHornetGuide170-171_zpsc6051759.jpg

Lastly, the weapons carried by the type are covered. While not a complete list of every weapon ever used, this section still consists of 28 pages, showing the unique pylons to export users (Fat pylon and the Aussie BOL rails, for example), JDAM, targeting pods, AIM-9M/X, AIM-120, AIM-7, AIM-132, and more. Many were taken during a combat deployment to the Persian Gulf, showing common ordnance loadouts over Iraq and Afghanistan.

ModernHornetGuide180-181_zps818349ab.jpg

ModernHornetGuide190-191_zpsd1a1ac46.jpg

Printing takes about a 2 to 2 1/2 months, making this available right around mid-March. It is 204 pages, all in color, with 1026 color images. Cost will be the usual $39.95.

Thanks for the continued support, guys!!! Next up will a Bases of the World volume, covering Kadena Air Base Japan.

Jake

EEEEwwwwwweeeeee, that's AWESOME! Can't wait! Will there be (or is there) a pre-order option?

Just noticed the VMFA-242 picture there, are there many shots of "Bats" aircraft? I've got a -D model build coming up with their name on it!

Edited by blunce

This one took a little longer than expected guys. Sorry about that, but I wanted to make sure I didn't leave anything out.

I am the proud owner of every single one of your books. Keep them coming.

Thank you very much!! I appreciate that.

Just noticed the VMFA-242 picture there, are there many shots of "Bats" aircraft? I've got a -D model build coming up with their name on it!

I usually do a pre-order, but not until I have a very firm idea of exactly when I can expect the shipment to arrive here from the printers. It makes me uncomfortable to take people's money without having a product to give them.

There are a bunch (80 or so) pics of that squadron, but only about 5 that show the markings. An ATARS -224 jet is one of the USMC D-models I used for cockpit, ATARS, and some airframe pics.

Jake

Edited by jmel

is the A-7 book comming outin the same time frame?

i want both !

It will be a 2013 release. Layouts are about 95% complete.

Could have used that when I built my Hornet.

So, build another! :D

Great news.

I have learnt the hard way that if you have even the faintest idea of maybe making a model of the aircraft in which Jake makes a book, buy it straight away.

I missed the F-15 and A-10 train and am not going to miss another. With one complete Academy 1/32 Hornet, one on the bench, and 3 others (including a D) this book will come in handy.

Looking forward to future volumes.

• 2 weeks later...

I received the proofs from the printing company on Friday. I'll send them back on tuesday, which means now I can better estimate the time of release as late March.

proof1_zps43b6e0bd.jpg

proof2_zpsb44363a3.jpg

proof3_zpsfda7b702.jpg

proof4_zps0bfece84.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks again, guys. I appreciate the kind words. I received three advance copies of the book on Friday, and they look great. The remainder of the shipment is currently en route, and I still expect them here by mid-March.

Jake

You've surely set the new standard when compared to the Squadron walkarounds or DACO books.

Then you've probably not the latest DACO book !

His book about the F-104G Starfighter is IMHO the new standard... he uncovered every inch of that jet with this book.

And I'm sure I'm not alone appreciating this work as it seems he already sold out of this title in about 4 months!

His website show only 250 copies remain and with the upcoming Italeri kit it will be the bible to have on hand, luckily I got my copy already before it will hit high prices at Amazon ...

For the good understanding, I'm not affiliated with DACO, just a very happy customer...

Geoffrey

Edited by Geoffrey

Haha! Hello, Danny. Thanks for stopping by to add your thoughts. You really didn't need to start a new persona, though. If you want to plug your book in my forum, I really wouldn't have minded had you used your normal screen name.

I am curious, though-- if you still have 250 copies, how are you "sold out?"

Warm regards,

Jake

Haha! Hello, Danny. Thanks for stopping by to add your thoughts. You really didn't need to start a new persona, though. If you want to plug your book in my forum, I really wouldn't have minded had you used your normal screen name.

I am curious, though-- if you still have 250 copies, how are you "sold out?"

Warm regards,

Jake

Hi Jake

Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not me...

But, where am I sold out?

Danny

But, where am I sold out?

I have no idea. You wrote earlier that "he already sold out of this title" but your next sentence says "His website show only 250 copies remain." Just a bit confusing, is all.

Jake