Tamiya 1/48 P-47D

I've had this on the table for a couple months, and finally got around to finishing it. Let me know what you think! Please feel free to point out any inaccuracies or flaws in workmanship, etc. I don't have a great photo setup, so I apologize in advance for the not-so-great images. I usually shoot outside in daylight, but there's about a foot of snow on the ground right now. I wish I would have taken some photos of the cockpit before I buttoned it up, as it turned out pretty well. This is my first time using MIG pigments to try to represent mud on the tires as well. I'm reasonably satisfied with the appearance, though I could use some more practice. I was going to add a fuel line for the drop tank, but I got lazy and in a hurry to finish. As it is, I had to re-make the four threaded bolts and knobs that are used to snug the tank on the underside, as two of them broke off during painting. I was going to put two different types of tanks on the wings just for added interest, but I decided I wanted a slightly cleaner appearance and ended up just making the metal piece that takes up the space in the wing pylons when nothing's being hung there.

Anyway, have at it and thanks for looking!

DSC_0317s_zps9289de2f.jpg

DSC_0312s_zps0c54cf68.jpg

DSC_0310s_zpsca542ced.jpg

DSC_0308s_zps621c9635.jpg

DSC_0305s_zps58e546d4.jpg

DSC_0300s_zps7ec9fd20.jpg

DSC_0299s_zpsffc034e8.jpg

DSC_0296s_zpse8399c3e.jpg

DSC_0294s_zps58672d87.jpg

DSC_0290s_zps57d748aa.jpg

Thank you - yes, I added the rivets with one of the RB Productions riveters. I tried it on one of my previous WWII fighters and loved it, so now I can't build a plane of that era without doing it.

Surface detail looks like that of the Trumpeter 1/32 kit. Did you rivet the entire airframe?

Nice paint job, by the way!

t build

It's so refreshing to see worn, patchy paint replicated so wonderfully without the over-done panel line effect seen so often these days.

What I like about this is it actually looks like the real thing, rather than some poor representation of a London Underground Tube map, covered in ridiculously dark panel line washes which bear absolutely no resemblance to the real aircraft being replicated.

This, putting it simply, is a masterpiece.

Thanks Tommy, I appreciate your thoughts! While I sometimes think that high-contrast washes and panel line shading can make for a great-looking model--if not always completely accurate--I like to make mine look like shrunken-down versions of the aircraft to as great a degree as I can. I enjoy building models, but I'd probably skip to the end, to the painting, if I could. It's my favorite part.

Thanks again for the compliment!

It's so refreshing to see worn, patchy paint replicated so wonderfully without the over-done panel line effect seen so often these days.

What I like about this is it actually looks like the real thing, rather than some poor representation of a London Underground Tube map, covered in ridiculously dark panel line washes which bear absolutely no resemblance to the real aircraft being replicated.

This, putting it simply, is a masterpiece.

No problem, Eri - the mud splatter was done by loading very thin brown paint into the airbrush. In a double-action airbrush, if I pull the trigger back to open the nozzle without depressing the trigger to let air flow, a little paint seems to escape and sit inside the airbrush. Then I depress the button to allow air to flow with the trigger all the way forward, and that small amount of paint spatters out onto the model. It's not an exact science, and I'm not sure I'm in love with the scale of all the splatter marks. Next time I may try the old toothbrush splatter trick and see if the results are better.

For the tires, I used MIG pigments. I put a small amount of the powdered pigments onto a piece of paper or whatever (I used wide Tamiya tape stuck to my desk), then dip a brush in a small amount of Tamiya thinner. You could also use isopropyl alcohol, I'm sure. I dab this onto the tires, and ended up using a couple colors on my tires here.

Like the mud splatter, I'm not completely in love with the outcome - it's maybe a little heavy-looking and not quite in scale, but I wanted to try to apply dirt to the tread itself and not in the recesses of the tread, as most models seem to. Most of the dirty tires I've seen are more like this, with the deeper channels mostly black and the dirt on the higher portions of the tread.

Can you share what method did you use for the mud/dirt on the landing gears?