I have their SE 5a, got the Fokker DVII for Christmas, and am hoping they come out with the Sopwith Camel...has anyone heard anything??

Pretty sure I read that they would not be doing a Camel. The owner stated that it had already been done to a reasonably high standard by another company (can't image it would be close to what WNW would put out there).

I wonder what these guys will move onto when they exhaust their list of WW1 subjects? Best aircraft models on the planet, bar none.

Pretty sure I read that they would not be doing a Camel.

I've read the same. I can't help thinking that WNW are missing a trick not producing a Camel. Surely it would be a license to print money given that even folk who have already built the other 1/32nd scale Camels would likely buy one or more? I know I would and I don't generally build string bags.

:cheers:

WNW have already stated that they're not planning to issue kits of aircraft where there's already an existing 1/32 kit - so no Sopwith Camel, Fokker Triplane or Nieuport 28 on the horizon. The Sopwith Triplane and Airco DH2 are oddities, because Roden and WNW were both developing kits at the same time. So if it's already in 1/32 WNW have no current plans to produce one. Having said that, I read an interview where they said they had over 50 WWI kits currently planned for release in the future. Given that, and that they release only about 5-10 kits a year, I think it's unlikely we'll see any non-WWI WNW kits in the next few years. I've also heard that Roden are leaving the 1/32 WWI kit market because of the success of WNW, and will concentrate on 1/48 and 1/72 in future.

Vince

WNW have already stated that they're not planning to issue kits of aircraft where there's already an existing 1/32 kit - so no Sopwith Camel, Fokker Triplane or Nieuport 28 on the horizon. The Sopwith Triplane and Airco DH2 are oddities, because Roden and WNW were both developing kits at the same time. So if it's already in 1/32 WNW have no current plans to produce one. Having said that, I read an interview where they said they had over 50 WWI kits currently planned for release in the future. Given that, and that they release only about 5-10 kits a year, I think it's unlikely we'll see any non-WWI WNW kits in the next few years. I've also heard that Roden are leaving the 1/32 WWI kit market because of the success of WNW, and will concentrate on 1/48 and 1/72 in future.

Vince

I'd be surprised if they would release another 50 WW1 kits. The list of "sexy" WW1 aircraft is getting shorter with each new kit and I have to wonder what the market will be for some of the more obscure aircraft that are surely on this list?

Just wish they would apply their impressive talents to aircraft of other era's. If they want to stay with biplanes, take a shot at a Gladiator or a Polikarpov I-153 or some of the mid-30's aircraft

I'd be surprised if they would release another 50 WW1 kits. The list of "sexy" WW1 aircraft is getting shorter with each new kit and I have to wonder what the market will be for some of the more obscure aircraft that are surely on this list?

Just wish they would apply their impressive talents to aircraft of other era's. If they want to stay with biplanes, take a shot at a Gladiator or a Polikarpov I-153 or some of the mid-30's aircraft

Well, when you have a multi-millionaire WWI nut behind the project I guess you can pretty much make kits of obscure WWI types and not worry too much about the profit margin. Unless Peter Jackson has a change of heart, it's very unlikely that they'll move out of WWI.

Interview where they confirm that there's no Sopwith Camel.

Interview where they mention the 50 kits in development.

Vince

• 1 month later...

Well, when you have a multi-millionaire WWI nut behind the project I guess you can pretty much make kits of obscure WWI types and not worry too much about the profit margin. Unless Peter Jackson has a change of heart, it's very unlikely that they'll move out of WWI.

Interview where they confirm that there's no Sopwith Camel.

Interview where they mention the 50 kits in development.

Vince

With the exception of the following;

S.E. 5a

Sopwith Triplane

DH 2

Pfalz III

While there may be no immediate plans to release a camel or a D I, they will at some point in the future. Could be 10 years away or more, but they will eventually get around to it. Every time they have a production meeting I'm sure it comes up, and they certainly don't say absolutely not, more likely its, not now, I want a xyz then an abc, then a lmn before we get to a D I or a Camel. Even a billionaire doesn't want his company to fail, too much personal pride at stake. Just like they have said one production run only for their kits, and then the produce kits with unused parts on the 1st run. Subsequent boxings will follow, may not be exactly the same release but close enough for most.

Which are in both the WNW and

With the exception of the following;

S.E. 5a

Sopwith Triplane

DH 2

Pfalz III

While there may be no immediate plans to release a camel or a D I, they will at some point in the future. Could be 10 years away or more, but they will eventually get around to it. Every time they have a production meeting I'm sure it comes up, and they certainly don't say absolutely not, more likely its, not now, I want a xyz then an abc, then a lmn before we get to a D I or a Camel. Even a billionaire doesn't want his company to fail, too much personal pride at stake. Just like they have said one production run only for their kits, and then the produce kits with unused parts on the 1st run. Subsequent boxings will follow, may not be exactly the same release but close enough for most.

Which are in both the WNW and

All of the above kits were in development at the same time, that's why there's Roden and WNW versions. Now Roden appears to be pulling out of 1/32 WWI, whilst WNW have stated that there are currently no plans for a Sopwith Camel. They might change their minds at some point, you never know, but it doesn't appear to be a priority for them.

Vince

Pretty sure I read that they would not be doing a Camel. The owner stated that it had already been done to a reasonably high standard by another company (can't image it would be close to what WNW would put out there).

I wonder what these guys will move onto when they exhaust their list of WW1 subjects? Best aircraft models on the planet, bar none.

If you are referring to the Academy/Hobbycrap Camel offering, I have it, and the level of WNW is so far and above that kit it's ridiculous, but we all knew that. WNW could do a Sopwith as well as a SPAD XIII and do quite well with them. What is on the market right now is doo-doo in comparison, right?

Now, I'm pining for a nice Hanriot HD.1 - Bevy of very nice Italian and Belgian schemes there...certainly not mainstream! Then there's the HD.2 on floats in US markings.

However, I was disheartened to have one of the WNW guys tell me not to hold my breath for a Jenny. Yeah, all those fighters dancing around with their aces at the controls are nice, but they ALL had to learn how to fly on something.

If you are referring to the Academy/Hobbycrap Camel offering, I have it, ....

The Academy kit is the first version of the Hobbycraft kit. The subsequent Hobbycraft kits were modified quite a bit and are much better than the original in accuracy and detail (but not much of a cockpit)... but certainly not good enough to preclude WNW from doing the Camel right!

Besides, it's hard to find the improved Hobbycraft kits, so I personally don't understand WNW rationale for not going for it (if in fact that rationale is that there's already a good kit out there).

Gene K

• 2 weeks later...

WNW's Richard Alexander announced in an interview that they are working on a Sopwith Camel. So for those of you in need of a WNW Camel: just a few more years waiting.

I found this link : https://sites.google.com/site/greatwarsig/Resources on the ww1 forum. Look for "Ami Cher Vol.5.pdf" and read the interview.

regards,

Ivo

Well I've never been happier to be proven wrong!

Vince

What most of you don't apparently recognize is the WNW is much like Tamiya in that they are going to produce what the boss wants produced, not what you want produced! WNW (or Mr. Jackson if you will) have stated that they only want to produce WW I subjects, and I personally can respect that. So rather than complain that they won't produce my favorite 1920s/1930s airplane, give them a list of a/c that fit into the niche that they have started to fill very nicely. I would personally be very pleased if they came out with an Etrich Taube or an LFG Roland C-II Walfisch but I also realize that if they don't, it ain't the end of the world (I've been disappointed by much more important things and managed to live through it)