How can I improve my figures?

You use drybrush for it?

If yes, my first advice is to use this technique at minimum,too much crude!

Because a pics is better of 1000 words,in the next days I try a little tutorial for this kind of figure,ok?

Gianni

I did some drybrushing, mostly its washes though.

The camera magnification makes it look far worse then it is.

This is 1/48 scale.

I would like to see a tutorial though!

Thanks.

Shawn

Tony, where do you get that fine of a marker? In 1/48 scale those eye openings are soooooper tiny

At that scale, drawing in eyes risks looking very strange. Look at the people in the last row of the pic I've posted:

http://cryptome.org/fru-portrait-1.jpg

They're a LOT closer than 48 feet away, but see how you can't really see their eyes? You see an impression of their eyes, light and shade. It looks right because in your experience people from 50 feet away look like that.

I think it's better for you to try and reproduce the effect.

There's a really good article on the ARC main site under Tips n' Tricks section. Go there, and look under "figures", and you'll see an article on painting 1:48 pilots. Those techniques have worked for a lot of folks, including myself. I do know what you're talking about as far as the zoom sometimes making the actual subject look far more harsh than they really are. My advice to you is to make sure your paints are thinned enough to where you don't have the grainy "caked-on" look that appears to be on your guys face. And while washes are sometimes a good thing to help break up contrast, and blend colors...less is still more. Thin your washes too if you have to. As was stated, you should dry brush only with your highlight color, as naturally, dry brushing is only supposed to contact "raised" areas (areas that would capture light, and cast shadow. So these would be lighter than the remaining subjects . All in all, yes, your figure looks good just in the fact that you at least attempted something aside from the bland call outs that the kit instructions often have you attempt. Even if you paint it to a T according to the booklet, they'll still look flat and lifeless. Just work on it, and it'll get better.

Hi all,

as promise here a small tutorial on a 1/72 figure ( I don't have 1/48 only 72nd or much larger).

But first mate,your're absolutely right about the camera magnification.

This technique is a rapid for small scale figure that I normally adopt to paint 28mm army.

First,a look to the color for the fleshtone.

p10500031024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

On the primed figure,I brushed the base coat of Beige red.

p10500011024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Next,a wash of Agrax Earthshade (!). This kind of wash is useful to made shadow.

p10500041024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Now,with the same base color,I made the first light. The zone that need the light are the forehead, cheekbones, ears, nose, chin, the angle of the mandible and the reliefs of the hands.

p10500051024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Next light with Flat Flesh.Now we will continue to illuminate the same areas, but being careful to gradually reduce the surface that will paint.

p10500071024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Finally,the last highlight with Pallid Flesh.

p10500091024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

For garments same procedure but with different colors of course.

Part two.

Now the pants.

This is an example naturally,but the important thing are the procedure,'cause the only difference ( in small scale of course ) are the color and ,maybe, the shine of the various garments: in your pilot for example ,the jacket is more satin that the pents,more matt,ok?

First the colors used.

p10500121024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Next the base coat.

p10500131024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

When we have a figure of a single color, it is useful to slightly vary the tone of the pants from the shirt.

Look at this figure that I've scratbuilded some years ago to understant what I mean.

copiadiimmagine004.jpg[/url][/img]

In this case this effect was obtained first by varying the wash tone,Nuln oil (black) for the shirt and Agrax Earthshade (brown) for the pants, and then changing the colors for the highlight

p10500141024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Next two step the shirt highlighted first with the base color and next with the base plus Sunny Skintone.

p10500151024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

p10500161024x768.jpg[/url][/img]

Same procedure for the pants but using Iraqi Sand in place of the Sunny Skintone.

And here the figure finished with the last details added.

p1060023768x1024.jpg[/url][/img]

The best way to paint eyes on small figure is this: first paint black ALL the eye area,next with a sharp brush paint a white line in the central part of the eyes.In this way you are obtained the sclera of the eye with eyelashes that surround it.Finally with the same brush and black, paint the iris of the eye and is finished! 30 seconds for a good result!

I hope this is useful, for any doubt don't esitate to ask!

:cheers:/>/>/> Gianni