Best spray booth for the money

I'm looking at ordering a spray booth and was wanting input on what is the best for the price.

My current booth I built myself and it's worked ok. The motor is going out in it and I've never been really happy with it.

thanks in advance!

Mike

Hi Mike, Long time no hear! On to business. What type of motor did you use on your homemade booth. I built mine and use a squirrel-cage blower, and it has worked great. Upon first checking the exhaust end, I was amazed at how much air came out. I use furnace filter and the model is about 18 inches or so from the filter and exhaust hole. I vent it out a basement window with the flexible dryer hose. Paint goes on my models like it did when I painted in the garage without the booth, but it's amazing how much paint gets on the filter. Other than that, I can't help you with a commercially made unit. Good Luck.

Tim

P.S. How are things going at work?

Edited by balls47

Hi Mike, Long time no hear! On to business. What type of motor did you use on your homemade booth. I built mine and use a squirrel-cage blower, and it has worked great. Upon first checking the exhaust end, I was amazed at how much air came out. I use furnace filter and the model is about 18 inches or so from the filter and exhaust hole. I vent it out a basement window with the flexible dryer hose. Paint goes on my models like it did when I painted in the garage without the booth, but it's amazing how much paint gets on the filter. Other than that, I can't help you with a commercially made unit. Good Luck.

Tim

P.S. How are things going at work?

Hey Tim!

I'm currently using a furnace fan I picked up about 12 years ago from Granger. It works great at sucking out the fumes, the problem is it's so big and noisy. The box I built had to be pretty large. The fan is starting to go out in it, heating up a lot when I run it so instead of replacing the fan, I was looking into the newer all together booths (boxes) that are out.

I need something that doesn't take up a too much room but does a really good job at pulling out fumes, etc. My sons are starting to build kits and I want them to be able to use it as well.

Work is going really well. Very busy as you can imagine.

Mike

The Paasche HSSB-16-13 Hobby Spray Booth can be had for under $150. I'm looking at getting the Artograph 1520.

I saw that one too. It looks just like the air hobby one, but twice the price. And the Artograph looks good, metal frame and all but is much more expensive. Need to know what the best quality one is if I'm going to drop that much coin.

cheers,

Mike

I've heard really good things about this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Paint-Extractory/dp/B004ZH7RSM/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1357124142&sr=1-1&keywords=spray+booth+hobby

Some have said "Oh that's cheap price so it's probably cheap quality." However, another member on here only found out after doing some google searching that this exact model can be had for about three times the money, but he noticed that on Amazon the company sells the same thing for 1/3 of the price under a different name. So, for what it's worth, this same model can be had for $210 but you can get it here on Amazon for 70. I think it's awesome in the fact that it's portable, folds up nicely into itself, and can be stacked using two side by side to double your work area if needed. Check it out. May be what you're looking for, especially if you're going to be moving it a lot with the kiddo's working with you in the hobby now too.

I've heard really good things about this one.

http://www.amazon.com/Airbrush-Spray-Booth-Paint-Extractory/dp/B004ZH7RSM/ref=sr_1_1?s=arts-crafts&ie=UTF8&qid=1357124142&sr=1-1&keywords=spray+booth+hobby

Some have said "Oh that's cheap price so it's probably cheap quality." However, another member on here only found out after doing some google searching that this exact model can be had for about three times the money, but he noticed that on Amazon the company sells the same thing for 1/3 of the price under a different name. So, for what it's worth, this same model can be had for $210 but you can get it here on Amazon for 70. I think it's awesome in the fact that it's portable, folds up nicely into itself, and can be stacked using two side by side to double your work area if needed. Check it out. May be what you're looking for, especially if you're going to be moving it a lot with the kiddo's working with you in the hobby now too.

I have one of these and have been using it for a year or so. To be honest I would NOT recommend it as the air flow is nowhere near high enough. Even with a fresh filter, you can see the atomised paint 'hanging' in the booth rather than being drawn through the filter.

I would suggest spending the money for a decent booth with much higher airflow!

Chris

I have one of these and have been using it for a year or so. To be honest I would NOT recommend it as the air flow is nowhere near high enough.

I broke down and got one of these from Amazon. The size is perfect for my 1/48 jets, and my tupperware fits nicely.

spray_booth_01.jpg

spray_booth_02.jpg

I find the fan to be sufficient, as it was able to draw a piece of shop towel against the filter:

spray_booth_03.jpg

spray_booth_04.jpg

Maybe the fan is still new and thus is able to put out enough CFM.

But there are still paint particles flying around, if you inhale those, that cant be good for your either.

Paint particles, yes. Hence the spray booth and its filter, and I do have a respirator.

What's the purpose of the spray booth again? :rolleyes:/>

• 2 years later...

I broke down and got one of these from Amazon. The size is perfect for my 1/48 jets, and my tupperware fits nicely.

spray_booth_01.jpg

spray_booth_02.jpg

I find the fan to be sufficient, as it was able to draw a piece of shop towel against the filter:

spray_booth_03.jpg

spray_booth_04.jpg

Maybe the fan is still new and thus is able to put out enough CFM.

Richard,

Which one is this that you got from Amazon? I build almost only 1/48, so my concern is something like a 1/48 F-15 won't fit well in the Hobby Air version. I saw you could combine two together, which would still be cheaper than the Paasche, etc.

thanks!

Mike

I'm looking at ordering a spray booth and was wanting input on what is the best for the price.

My current booth I built myself and it's worked ok. The motor is going out in it and I've never been really happy with it.

thanks in advance!

Mike

I have the Pace mini-24. It's big enough to hold a 1/72 B-17, so should hold 1/48 fighters no problem.

Wayne

Pace "Peacemaker" here. Yeah it's expensive, but so is anything else that is high quality. It's also big enough for 1/32 aircraft, which few other paint booths can handle.

Powerful 265 CFM Shaded Pole Exhaust Fan

Ergonomic Exhaust Fan Switch

Two 115 Volt Separate Switched Outlets

Separate Light Switch for Built-in Lights

Two 75 watt Light Bulbs (Standard)

115 Volt 3-Prong Grounded Power Cord

34" X 10" Extended Work Area

One 20" X 12" X 1" High Capacity Pleated Air Filter

All 26 Gage Galvanized Sheet Metal Construction

Pace Paint Booths

You want the best for the money, this should do:

BenchVent

Here are a few pics of mine:

Picture007_zps9160e3e6.jpg

Picture005_zps54ff5b08.jpg

Picture002_zps6b51bad6.jpg

It's pricy and you'll need to order it from the UK but it's the best booth/extractor I've ever used. I also like that I'm not restricted to what I can paint size-wise as it's an open system that sucks everything (even resin dust) in its path. The semi industrial fan it has sure does help in that regard.

Rob

Edited by galileo1

The Paasche HSSB-16-13 Hobby Spray Booth can be had for under $150. I'm looking at getting the Artograph 1520.

Before I purchased the BenchVent extractor I was really thinking about getting the Artograph 1520. I liked the size of it and the fact that I could get from Amazon. My mind changed, however, when I found out how loud it was. Comparing to what I have now (which isn't much louder than a fridge compressor), the Artogrpah was just too loud formy liking.

Rob

I got a Paasche booth used from a member here and it is awesome. Looks like this My link

the opening measures about 24"X18" and I vent it out of the basement through a dryer type hose and vent.

I've been looking at this one, comparing it to the others. I can get it for about $250 shipped on ebay.

I really like the Artograph, but it's extremely expensive (prohibitively so), and very loud.

I've been looking at this one, comparing it to the others. I can get it for about $250 shipped on ebay.

I really like the Artograph, but it's extremely expensive (prohibitively so), and very loud.

I've got that Paasche HSSB spray booth and recommend it, although I did have to modify it to get some light in there. I put two LED light strips inside the booth, attached to the roof on the inside. The cords run out the side and loop back over the hood, so it's not an elegant installation. I guess I could drill holes for the cords, but what I have is good enough for now. Be aware that if you let the filters clog, it won't be able to pull fumes and overspray out, so switch them often. Noise is comparable to my compressor, which is one of the quieter models out there (but not a silent by any means).

Note that you can probably get it for somewhere in the $200 to $300 range if you shop around.

• 6 years later...