Black Hole Carpet Monster?

OK. I know I've got a carpet monster that like to eat small parts, but to lose a freshly painted flap from a 1/48 scale Tamiya P-47D and the 12 inch bamboo stick it was attached to???? I've torn up my work area, living room, even gave my dogs the third degree thinking maybe I dropped it and they though it was a new chew toy. No luck. Maybe a good nights sleep will help me start the search with a fresh set of eyes.

Is this in a public area? Secured personal workshop? Conditions, concealment, and obstacles within the locale? Was it sitting there and then gone, or did you launch it somehow, and it may be hanging from a light fixture, tucked in a drawer, or clinging to a railing or folding table or chair joint? Do you have big hair it may have caught in (I've literally found parts in my eyebrows)?

Distraction is a funny, funny thing. I find myself setting stuff down in the weirdest of places in this hobby. I searched for about ten minutes yesterday for a seat to an F-15E I'm working on, only to remember I set it up on the lip of my table fan to dry some wash into the seat pan. lol,. I feel like a knucklehead when I do things like that. No doubt, you'll absolutely find it as soon as you open the box on your next kit.

Yesterday i was working on a 1/72 il 28 when i lost a pair of tweezers. I knew i had them because i had been using them all the time, but somehow i couldn't find them anymore. I even asked my girlfriend to help look to know i wasn't going insane. Than i realized i openend another kit to test the fit of the pilot figure and when reboxing that kit i accidentally packed my tweezers inside. Man, did i feel stupid with my girlfriend looking over my shoulder.

Sad how well this resonates with people.

I have a wooden floor, and I find a dustpan and brush the only reliable retrieval method. Even so, I too have had several how-could-I-have-lost-something-that-big or I-know-I-put-it-down-in-front-of-me episodes. My only tactic in this case is to carefully move everything out of the area, looking carefully in all boxes and trays, picking up all pieces of paper, &etc. Since it's not where it's supposed to be, I look at everything, especially those it-cannot-possibly-be-in/under-this items. This technique is often, but not always, successful. I never did find that C-54 stabilizer...

I don't have carpet, I have a tile monster, either that or small part bounce of the fool in such a high speed the enter another universe. :jaw-dropping:/>

Somewhere in another universe, there's some alien modeler crawling around on their floor looking for their lost parts, and he/she/it is finding your lost pieces, and scratching all three heads in puzzlement...

John Hairell (tpn18@yahoo.com)

I have a small hand held vac that I use to vacuum the area and then dump it on some clean paper towels. Works pretty good.

I've used that method too, I'll also take piece of old wedding vail or some thing similar and cover the end of the nozzle with it, that seems to work fairly well too.

It probably stuck to your pants or in your shoe. Don't laugh it happens. Gary

That happen to me last week looking for a 1/144 b-29 gun turret, after about an hour of looking I went down stairs to cool off sat down in front of the TV looked down and there it was stuck to my pant leg :bandhead2:

Try "fishing" parts out of the disposal in the sink. Talk about a creepy feeling having

a hand in something that blends! I have done this a few times washing kits before assembly.

Luckily the beast wasn't hungry!---John

I got very lucky this week.

Working on a Hasegawa J-35 Draken. The tips of the wings are separate and have to be glued on. I had all the parts laid out so I could glue everything, and when it came time to do the tip of the 2nd wing, the tip was gone, nowhere to be found, after just having been on my desk 30 seconds earlier. I went nuts, moving everything on my desk, searching the carpet underneath, nada, not to be found. Finally gave up, packed the model away, and didn't touch it for almost a week. Wednesday night I decided to pull it out, to see if I could somehow fashion the missing part out of sheet styrene. I wasn't sure if I could, so I gave searching another go. Carefully moved everything on the desk, nothing. Started searching under my desk, moving power cables & such for my computer, and boom, there it was, next to the surge protector for my computer. Needless to say, I was ecstatic! Showed my wife, then put it on my desk, finished typing an email, did a couple other things, then sat down to glue the parts, and it was gone again!

Started the search all over again, trying hard to not get really angry. Spent about 20 minutes searching, and then started retracing my steps through the apartment, and I found it. Outside the master bathroom on the carpet. My only guess is it stuck to my arm while typing the email, and then I got up to use the john and it fell off outside the bathroom.

Needless to say I can right back in, sat down and glued it in place so I wouldn't loose it again. Now my luck is the whole wing will disappear! haha

I usually find tools and large parts like this right in front of me after searching for hours.

Just me I am sure. :rolleyes:/>

Nope. Did that several times in the last week alone. Course it doesn't help that I have four builds going at the same time.

I'd be embarrassed to admit the number of times I've done that. Search and search and search, and bam, there it is, right in front of me the whole frigging time.

When this happens to me, my only comment is "if was any closer and had teeth, it would have bit me"

:monkeydance: