Jake, any thoughts on doing an A-4 Book?

Also, an idea: How about doing a book on external stores: I am doing research for my next project (Phantom double-build, after I finish my EF-2000) and I am struggling to find good (non-grainy) pics of basic things like SUU-23's, LAU-3's, LAU-7's.

:cheers:

Marcel

Not much solid reference on Scooters? Huh? The Ginter volumes on the A-4 are outstanding (unless you're doing an A-4C or A-4L - maybe someday he'll get to those versions...).

Not that I'd be against another A-4 reference, but the external stores book makes more sense to me.

It's funny you mention the ordnance idea, Marcel. I include ordnance in each Modern Guide, although not to the level that could be included in a dedicated ordnance book. I often toy with the idea of leaving ordnance out of the book, though, to make room for more aircraft pictures, and I am afraid that some of it is getting repetitive, since some of the same weapons show up in each book (AIM-9 and JDAM, for example). I'll have to think about it some and see what I can come up with. The potential problem may be trying to gather up the material to include all ordnance. Where would I draw the line? ALL ordnance? That would be a HUGE book.

The LAU-7, by the way, is very well documented in The Hornet Guide.

Not much solid reference on Scooters? Huh? The Ginter volumes on the A-4 are outstanding (unless you're doing an A-4C or A-4L - maybe someday he'll get to those versions...).

Not that I'd be against another A-4 reference, but the external stores book makes more sense to me.

I have those books, they provide good information, but I don't think they are comparable to Jake's books.

It's funny you mention the ordnance idea, Marcel. I include ordnance in each Modern Guide, although not to the level that could be included in a dedicated ordnance book. I often toy with the idea of leaving ordnance out of the book, though, to make room for more aircraft pictures, and I am afraid that some of it is getting repetitive, since some of the same weapons show up in each book (AIM-9 and JDAM, for example). I'll have to think about it some and see what I can come up with. The potential problem may be trying to gather up the material to include all ordnance. Where would I draw the line? ALL ordnance? That would be a HUGE book.

The LAU-7, by the way, is very well documented in The Hornet Guide.

An interesting weapons book may be for example U.S. weapons used during the Vietnam campaign (I admit to having an ulterior motive in suggesting this). There's so much to tell there, e.g. which versions of Sparrow were used at what times of the war by which units and how they look different from another (I think us modellers screw this one up all the time)... same thing for Zuni's, which warhead/fuze combinations were used at what time.

On the LAU-7, I'll have to get your Hornet book :thumbsup:/>/>

Marcel

An interesting weapons book may be for example U.S. weapons used during the Vietnam campaign (I admit to having an ulterior motive in suggesting this). There's so much to tell there, e.g. which versions of Sparrow were used at what times of the war by which units and how they look different from another (I think us modellers screw this one up all the time)... same thing for Zuni's, which warhead/fuze combinations were used at what time.

Man, that is a fantastic idea, but I don't know how it could be done. It would take a very well-stocked museum to get access to some of the weapons of that era, and a whole team of expert ordnance folks to help fill in the tech info. It's probably possible, but would be an enormous undertaking.

Thanks for the kind words, Marcel!

Jake

It would take a very well-stocked museum to get access to some of the weapons of that era, and a whole team of expert ordnance folks to help fill in the tech info. It's probably possible, but would be an enormous undertaking.

Yeah, I can see how that could be a tough task. Well, maybe you could do a "Weapons of OIF/OEF" book... the research should be doable and you of course have a bunch of material already.

:cheers:

Marcel

Nice idea of the weapons book all by it self, however, I think having the weapons with jets is still better. It sure makes things easier, for me at least, to see what jets carries what. I have several old books by squadron and few other publishers that focus on weapons alone, but as a customer and modeler I rather have one book that covers one subject and it's related payload.

Just my 2 cents in here...

Mike