Upgrading the Moebius Galactica

thanks guys! I've tried the blue tack idea as well but I found that when you go to attach the part the blue tack has a stronger hold and leaves residue. That may also be because the Blue tack I used was quite well worn and more than a little bit tacky

I haven't got any pics yet because I have spent the better part of 2 nights making bl**dy tiny little guns - and after all that I still only have 5 or 6 actual 'I'm-happy-with-it-enough-completed' guns! :bandhead2:

That brief bit of joy I experienced - well, it's quickly turned to regret :can-of-worms:

However, rest assured, I am committed to making the best possible model I can, so I have to suck it up and keep on plugging away at it.

Next time I have a "great idea", please tell me not to do it....

Thanks again guys :cheers:

MH

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening gentlemen (and ladies of course)

Well, it's been a little while since I last updated this - and by a little while I mean at least 2 weeks. For a while there, I hadn't really moved past those bloody guns - and to be honest - I still haven't, but I have got the starboard side done as much as I want to.

There is quite a bit of detail added here, but unfortunately it's nigh on impossible to photograph such small pieces - especially those little chips that run along the insides of the ribs. A wash would change that and you'd see everything I've done, but its way to early for that.

Still need to do some scribing - something which I haven't really attempted in past builds (quite simply because I was scared to ruin it). However, the time has come to bite the bullet and just do it.

The raised detail is sparse and erratic - just like on the renders. There are a LOT of different shapes,but most will need to be painted on as opposed to using styrene. I don't want to go over board on them and besides - it wouldn't look right

I have tried to stay as true to the renders as I can, so hopefully, this'll turn out quite alright. The active word here is hopefully.....

Enough blabbing, time for some pics:

IMG_0182_zpsa0b00750.jpg

IMG_0186_zps1851fdd1.jpg

IMG_0187_zps2133f6ac.jpg

IMG_0188_zps6c5e8109.jpg

Not many pics, but enough to get the idea. Some of it does look messy, so I need to spend some time tidying it up a bit, but looking at it from a small distance, it looks fine.

Anyway, I'm off to keep plugging away at it, but hopefully soon, I will get some serious bench time as the wife and son are going away for a couple of weeks (must resist the XBox this time!)

See you all soon

Thanks for stopping in

MH

• 2 weeks later...

Good evening all

Time for some pictures of where I am up to on this ship. As you can see, I am still on the top section of the head with a lot more work to do yet! Work and family commitments have been taking their fair share of my time lately but I do try and squeeze in an hour or 3 when I can. Subsequently there is never much done between updates - or so it seems.

I’m working with much smaller and thinner chips than the Venator and cutting and aligning them just so is very time consuming. My left nut for a 3D printer….

Anyway, enough excuses, time for the pics:

To kick things off, I have removed that weird little circle thing from the front as it is completely the wrong shape. However, I think I may have slightly over-sized my version, but I am not going to do it over again:

IMG_0196_zps70747ed1.jpg

IMG_0200_zps56d25cb3.jpg

I scratch made the detail in the center of the hole with a lot of cursing and swearing. The little radar domes are all made from stretched sprue and is very fiddly. This was my third attempt at it and I am happy with how it finally looks:

IMG_0199_zpsa05c18e4.jpg

IMG_0201_zps77d09308.jpg

IMG_0203_zps879e55c4.jpg

IMG_0206_zpsd0c5b03f.jpg

I have scribed in a lot of missing panel lines on the top and a few on the sides. My scribing results do leave a lot to be desired – but this is my first ever crack at scribing a model, so go light ;)/>

IMG_0211_zps1e1ac016.jpg

I am surprised at how much raised detail is on this side as opposed to the other. Definitely not uniform – which is good because I doubt very much any ship would be exactly the same on each side – that’d be pointless :rolleyes:/>

IMG_0212_zps8a02112f.jpg

IMG_0213_zpsb17e2dfb.jpg

IMG_0214_zpsc7f67f3f.jpg

Well, that’s all from me. My next update will be the completion of this section. I will add the barrels to the side guns a bit later on as I am concerned about how easy it will be to break them off at this stage of the build. Then it’s onto the middle box section then time to tackle the lower section.

See you all again soon

Thanks for stopping by

MH

• 2 weeks later...

howdy peoples!

It's been a couple of weeks now and I am almost finished the top section of the head. This is going to be a looooong build!

I can't believe how long I have spent on just this section of the ship. I haven't even started doing the bottom plate for the top of the head (I'm going to call it TOTH because I'm sick of writing "top of the head" <_</> ) let alone start anything else.

However, that spent time is now starting to bear some fruit, for me. All I need to do to finish it is finish cutting off the bottom plates.

Then it's done (well almost :whistle:/> - I still will need to add some barrels to the side guns but I won't do that until the whole head section is completed other wise they would break too easily with a lot of handling - as my front radome dishes have since discovered)

From here, it's onto the bottom plate and to replace the existing kit panels for some scratch ones to give it a "not-molded-on-there" look to it.

IMG_0310_zps378d7bb2.jpg

IMG_0309_zps9ec3c8ca.jpg

IMG_0307_zps3af88196.jpg

IMG_0302_zps5ded232c.jpg

IMG_0303_zpsd38c637f.jpg

IMG_0300_zps1a8f9f92.jpg

IMG_0299_zpsff7ea2ce.jpg

IMG_0298_zpscd28fcac.jpg

It looks a bit rough and amateurish (because that's exactly what it is), but I still need to give it a wash over with nail polish remover and a thin cotton tip to get rid of the glue marks, so once that's done, it should look a bit better.

I also need to redo or add some material to some of the side guns as their size doesn't look uniform all the way through - despite trying to cut each piece with great care. :bandhead2:/> I must need to try a bit harder...

Anyway, thanks for continuing to stop in

See you soon

MH

I have one word for you MH "NOICE"!!! I'm really diggin' that "TOTH" :thumbsup:/> I'm sure looking forward to the next step!

Saw this today and thought about yer build... Yer super detailed ship is gonna be a knockout :woot.gif:/>

b095bb13-a199-490b-aa9d-4f4932c3bf92_zpsee34c896.jpg

/Jesse

I thought I'd quickly share these pics I've just taken. It's of the front aerial and its pretty close to accurate now that I have threaded a single fiber optic string through it and scribed some lines into it The end will glow white as it does according to this picture http://www.scifireaders.net/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/galactica.jpg

I'm going to leave it protruding and paint it later. I'll just cut the right amount off it to get the light to appear at the tip.

I'll have to do the same for the bottom aerial (which will need to be scratch built as there isn't one in the kit). But because I'll be using warm white SMD's to light the box section below it, I'll have to dip the end of the fiber into clear red and that will be good enough to get the effect I'm looking for. The top one stays white

Fingers crossed it works how I figure it will.

IMG_0312_zpsb0ab67b2.jpg

IMG_0319_zps0d3e4772.jpg

IMG_0325_zps721bc58e.jpg

IMG_0324_zps84009eac.jpg

I've made a slow start to the bottom plate but nothing worth pictures....just yet ;)/>

Cheers

MH

Edited by The Madhatter

thanks fellas!

Nick, I have been trying to get in touch with you re PE frames. Shoot me a PM when you get a free minute

Troy - where were you on Tuesday bro? Was hoping to see you there. Hopefully, you can come along to next months meeting?

MH

thanks guys.

Just out of interest, Boxster, do you also post over in R.I?

Well, one side down and 1 to go. Am off on holidays for a week, but when I get back, I have the house to myself, which means some serious bench time, so maybe I'll actually get something done for once :woot.gif:

Before:

IMG_0356_zps8c2014f9.jpg

After:

IMG_0357_zpsc064b26d.jpg

I've also dug out the edging of almost all the top plates:

IMG_0359_zps3ad3b1b1.jpg

IMG_0358_zpsca58f700.jpg

Looks much better to me so far. Am loving this 1mm chisel!! It's one of those items where you wonder why you never got one before now...

See you soon

Thanks for putting up with my apparent minimal updates :rolleyes:

MH