Upgrading the Moebius Galactica

Thanks Troy and Mike

I'm hoping this will be better than the Venator - It's on track to be, so far. I'm hoping to have it finished for Expo next year - but that's what I also said about the Venator, so don't hold me to it ;)

On a separate note, I picked up a copy of the November Airfix Scale World mag (issue 25) today because the Venator got mentioned/pictured in it! :woot.gif: One to keep for me as I'll probably never get published again LOL

Anyway, enough self promotion :blush: , time to get packed and ready to go on my holiday!!! :woo:

See you all again in a week or so

MH

Great work MH :D/> I just peeked at my December issue & the Venator is in there! Congrats on 1st prize :worship:/> Also, you talked me into a couple of those micro chisels, looks like a wonderful tool :woot.gif:/> Have a great Holiday & we will see your progress after that!!!

/Jesse

Troy - where were you on Tuesday bro? Was hoping to see you there. Hopefully, you can come along to next months meeting?

Sorry mate, Wedge and I intended to go, but he got sick and I got broke, so we ejected at the last minute. I'll be at the next one for sure.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my God, dude, you're giving me such bad ideas! Ideas like.... "Do what he's doing!" and "I've gotta try that myself!" and you are SUCH a bad example for me right now!

I can't afford to start such a kit right now, but oooooooh, after seeing this thread all I can say is:

I want! I want!

:jaw-dropping:

:woot.gif::worship:

LMAO!! Not sure I should be sorry :woot.gif:

Well, time for an update. I have been working on this here and there, but today, I got through quite a bit (well, for me anyway)

I will apologise up front for the quality of the following pictures as my wife has the SLR with her so I have to use my phone.

You;ll get the idea anyways

First, the body panels have all been dug out and have the appearance of sitting on top as opposed to molded on:

IMAG0149_zps79838c7c.jpg

I have started making the hangar pod interior details and had started to install the SMD's. In an experiment that may well not work at all, I have lined the bottom plate (the runway side) with foli and stuck in a couple of SMD's which I have painted red. Once the runway decal goes down, I'll drill out some holes along the strip to try for some landing lights. Not sure how well it'll work, and it's unlikely that you'd see it anyway, but I just wanna try it...

IMAG0144_zpse88b98e2.jpg

IMAG0145_zps35b67225.jpg

IMAG0146_zps57c75e21.jpg

IMAG0147_zps9b101737.jpg

IMAG0148_zps581f1eab.jpg

As you can see, I've also saved some money here by not buying a PE insert and gone for the whole build-it-yourself ribs. So far I think they work.

Anyway, I hope to have the hangar pods done soon so hopefully by then the missus will be back

Till then

MH

Well, I finished the hangar pods sooner than I thought, so you'll just have to make do with phone camera quality pictures sorry.

Not quite as smooth or square as I envisioned, but to be fair, that has something to do with the odd shape of the pods - the entrance and exits do not align.

I was going to add some piping, but you wouldn't see it, so I haven't expended time on that aspect. The lighting went in clumsily as expected, but it works :D

IMAG0152_zpsd7a17ce7.jpg

IMAG0153_zps3beb578c.jpg

IMAG0152_zpsd7a17ce7.jpg

IMAG0155_zps1d4e8976.jpg

and after the base coat:

IMAG0160_zps469d8649.jpg

I reckon it looks alright and as a side benefit, it didn't cost as much as the PE set to make. I still need to paint it more but I thought I'd share the fruits of my day

Let me know what you think - good or bad

Thanks for stopping in

MH

thanks Nick. The space has filled up nicely and yet has a somewhat "cavernous" feel to it when you look down the pod (considering the scale)

Unfortunately, due to an unforeseen accident I inadvertently pulled to tightly on one of the wires and it snapped - under the floor and not accessible to mend, which means that the under floor lighting idea is no more. :crying2:

Oh well, never mind - maybe another time. I doubt it would have worked as I hoped anyway - but it is a bit disappointing to loose 2 perfectly good SMD's to clumsiness.

These are the best quality photos I could take on my dumb-smart phone, so I do apologise.

IMAG0171_zps43a29d18.jpg

IMAG0178_zps79cded55.jpg

IMAG0167_zps5da03393.jpg

Cheers

MH

Thanks Shawn :)

yeah, it is a little disappointing, but it happens. I've just started the bottom section of the head (digging out the plates etc etc), so once I have some progress, I'll post some pics. Wife and son are back now, so bench time will be cut quite a bit.

Thanks for taking the time to post - it's greatly appreciated

Cheers

MH

thanks for your kind post Janne :)

To be brutally honest - I am really not happy with how they turned out. I rushed that area too much and made some really bad mistakes. Like concentrating to much on making all of the rib sections equal in length instead of measuring correctly how long each segment should have been in order to achieve the lateral uniformity I was hoping for.

Other things like the strip that runs along the side somehow warping after installation. When it first went on, it was arrow straight, but now it looks crap.

The worst thing about this is I can't open it up to fix it because stupidly, I glued the two half's together without actually looking down the bays again to make sure it was all still OK. When will I learnt his vital step!?!?!?!? :bandhead2: :bandhead2: :bandhead2:

Sorry for the rant, it's not me feeling sorry for myself and looking for a moral boaster, it's more I feel very embarrassed to be posting pics of a very amateur effort in what it a very big part of the design. One day I may achieve the level of chuck... but for now, no.

• 6 months later...

LOL - yeah - I am, and I haven't forgotten this build, but I need to rebuild my excitement for this ship again. I've moved on to the Battle carrier and once that's done, I may consider restarting the G.

Don't worry, the Carrier is smaller and doesn't require as much detailing, so it shouldn't take as long.

• 6 months later...

Righto - well, I have found some much needed inspiration to get this one back up and running and best of all - finished.

I was in the midst of building Trumpeter's 1/35 BR52 but I ran out of hex rod, and so with nothing better to do (well OK, I could've started on another section of the engine, but I needed a break anyway - it's so very true what they say about this kit!) I started looking around on the net.

Well, after really loving the last build, I ended up buying some more SBY 2199 ships (the green triple decker carrier, the Command Core ship and Gamilas warships set #4 - the one with the battle ship in it and the cool drone), as well as the new TOS Galactica and hopefully I am going to grab the Moebius Pegasus if I see it at Expo this weekend.

But getting these kits wasn't the kick I needed; it was seeing some great photos a mate sent me from Japan of an amazing build up of the Pegasus. It featured a really cool lighting effect that I would like to try one day and that got me back onto looking at pics of the Pegasus online which in turn reignited my like of these BSG ships.

Pretty long winded way of saying I have found some love again for this ship

Anyway, enough babbling. I've spent quite a few days going back to a familiar chore: digging out the spaces between the armour plates and the ribs. However, all that practice from last time has paid off and I found it quicker to do this time round as well as neater. I think it looks so much better. You won't see the stress marks once it's painted of course:

IMG_5309_zpsca594884.jpg

IMG_5310_zps1c9b5d77.jpg

Also started on the hangar pods. OOB box on the left, mine on the right:

IMG_5314_zps4b04723e.jpg

The thing that stopped this build in the first place were the hangar bays. I really fudged them up something shocking last time, so I pulled them apart and ripped out the interior. I have started a fresh with new lighting:

IMG_5318_zpse11e4991.jpg

and now with the addition of walls and some detailing:

IMG_5323_zpsbd78801f.jpg

IMG_5321_zpsa00f6763.jpg

IMG_5324_zps7508ce92.jpg

I've also added the airlock looking things that protrude from the sides. They're a bit hard to see it in this picture but they're there on the wall at the bottom:

IMG_5325_zps087f809e.jpg

And lastly, I've added FO to the entrance of the hangar bay. On the other side, I'll add the threads BEFORE I add the walls.

IMG_5327_zpse3f4333c.jpg

I would have done the other side simultaneously but I have run out of warm white SMD's, so I've had to buy more and am now waiting for them to show up - which should hopefully be next week

Anyways, as always, thanks for looking.

Till then

MH