Three plane crash sites in Iceland....

Hi ya all :coolio:

I just put some pictures on Flickr from a hike I did last September. We went on Mt Fagradalsfjall (Fagra-dals-fjall / Beautyfull-Valley-Mountain) where three planes crashed on and around in WWII. One british, a Short Sunderland Mk.I N9023 "KG-G" from 204 squadron RAF. It crashed early morning of 24th April 1941. Three of the thirteen man crew died in the accident. One, P/O. J. Dewar copilot, helped his fellow crew memembers out of the burning wreckage and walked about 20 km (over 12 miles) over rough lava to a near village to get help. This was the second crash site we hiked to. The other two where US planes. One Martin PBM-I Mariner, "74-P-8" from VP-74 squadron. It crashed on 2nd November 1941, aronud 2 PM. All twelve men in the plane died instnatly when the plane hit the mountain. This was the first crash site we hiked to. The last crash site we vent to was where a B-24D, 41-23728, crashed on 3rd May 1943 around 3:30 PM. Of the fifteen men on board only one lived. The tail gunner, George A. Eisel. One of the men that died was Lt. Gen. Frank M. Andrews This still remains the deadliest plane crash in Iceland. More about this crash can be read here. If anyone of you know anything about these planes, like pictures or anything like that or point out where I can get information about them I would be very graitfull. I would like to do models of them.

I hope this is iteresting to you.

Best regards

Grétar W. G. :wave:

Edited by GretarBill

I would suggest you go over to armyairforces.com and make a new account. The gentlemen over there can help you track every bit of info down that you want in a couple of days. They are great guys and love to help. They helped me a great deal while searching for a relative a few months back. HTH JOSH

Hi ya all :coolio:/>

I just put some pictures on Flickr from a hike I did last September. We went on Mt Fagradalsfjall (Fagra-dals-fjall / Beautyfull-Valley-Mountain) where three planes crashed on and around in WWII. One british, a Short Sunderland Mk.I N9023 "KG-G" from 204 squadron RAF. It crashed early morning of 24th April 1941. Three of the thirteen man crew died in the accident. One, P/O. J. Dewar copilot, helped his fellow crew memembers out of the burning wreckage and walked about 20 km (over 12 miles) over rough lava to a near village to get help. This was the second crash site we hiked to. The other two where US planes. One Martin PBM-I Mariner, "74-P-8" from VP-74 squadron. It crashed on 2nd November 1941, aronud 2 PM. All twelve men in the plane died instnatly when the plane hit the mountain. This was the first crash site we hiked to. The last crash site we vent to was where a B-24D, 41-23728, crashed on 3rd May 1943 around 3:30 PM. Of the fifteen men on board only one lived. The tail gunner, George A. Eisel. One of the men that died was Lt. Gen. Frank M. Andrews This still remains the deadliest plane crash in Iceland. More about this crash can be read here. If anyone of you know anything about these planes, like pictures or anything like that or point out where I can get information about them I would be very graitfull. I would like to do models of them.

I hope this is iteresting to you.

Best regards

Grétar W. G. :wave:/>

góður dagur Grétar,

Takk for posting the pictures and the story. I was in Iceland with the RCAF in 2011 for just over a month at Keflavik. Wish I knew about these wrecks back then. I would have tried to go see them. I did get to the Commonwealth War Cemetary in Reykjavik for a small ceremony that the RCAF did with the Canadian Ambassador.

I also stopped by the model shop in Reykjavik and picked up a couple of things.

Anyway, good luck with the projects.

Cheers,

Denis