looking at the new F4 kit I came accross with a new idea. Or maybe the parts are already out there, I don't know. The BF109F6 was very similar to the F4, but was a recon version. Did anybody ever make a resin camera fairing for the 109's? Also it looks to me like it would be safe to use either a G or E unarmored wind screen in place of the armored one. Once again am I correct?

gary

looking at the new F4 kit I came accross with a new idea. Or maybe the parts are already out there, I don't know. The BF109F6 was very similar to the F4, but was a recon version. Did anybody ever make a resin camera fairing for the 109's? Also it looks to me like it would be safe to use either a G or E unarmored wind screen in place of the armored one. Once again am I correct?

gary

If memory serves (alas the stash is in disarray at present so I can't check) there's a camera fairing in the injected UM Model 109 set

HTH - Patrick

I think it's been pretty well proven that the F-6 designation is incorrect. The F-4 recon variant was more likely an F-4/R3.

they look nearly the same on the ouside, but the F6 was sorta striped down of weight. But there were some subtle differences here and there. I have not found a picture of an F5 (also a recon plane but without the fairing), and the F4 recon plane. But have seen a couple of the F6. I think the F6 was the first to use the fairing instead of the pilot hold a camera while in flight.

gary

I think it's been pretty well proven that the F-6 designation is incorrect. The F-4 recon variant was more likely an F-4/R3.

This. Also, the G model windscreen is not the same as the F. The frame is thicker as the armored glass was placed inside the canopy. I believe the E windscreen is what you would need.

Does the F-4 kit not have the unarmored windscreen? The F-2 kit gives you the option.

This. Also, the G model windscreen is not the same as the F. The frame is thicker as the armored glass was placed inside the canopy. I believe the E windscreen is what you would need.

Does the F-4 kit not have the unarmored windscreen? The F-2 kit gives you the option.

I think the F2 and F4 both come with an armored and unarmored wind screen. Some sources have the F6 without any guns, and others say they kept the cowl guns, but deleted everything else. I did find out that Fujimi did the camera fairing in kit # 480012. I looked thru a half dozen Fujimi kits yesterday and none of the ones I have have this fairing. Also heard there was a resin one made, but don't know who did it.

gary

According to Prien & Rodeike's tome on the 109F/G/K series, there was a single example of the F-5 built by WNF, and the F-6 never existed.

they look nearly the same on the ouside, but the F6 was sorta striped down of weight. But there were some subtle differences here and there. I have not found a picture of an F5 (also a recon plane but without the fairing), and the F4 recon plane. But have seen a couple of the F6. I think the F6 was the first to use the fairing instead of the pilot hold a camera while in flight.

gary

According to Prien & Rodeike's tome on the 109F/G/K series, there was a single example of the F-5 built by WNF, and the F-6 never existed.

there's a photo of two F6's in the Squadron book. Seems like I read that they built about 50 of them, and flew them all the way into mid 1944.

gary

No, there's a photo of two F-4/R3s that are mislabeled as F-6s in the Squadron book. That book was published *long* before Prien & Rodeike's research was published, and it's been proven wrong (along with a lot of other stuff in a lot of other Squadron books).

No, there's a photo of two F-4/R3s that are mislabeled as F-6s in the Squadron book. That book was published *long* before Prien & Rodeike's research was published, and it's been proven wrong (along with a lot of other stuff in a lot of other Squadron books).

I'm going to put the argument on the shelf for a little bit till I get my hands on some better data. From what I gather the F4 recon planes used a hand held camera, while the F6 used a belly mounted camera similar to an early G. That fairing is visible in the photos I looked at, but for all I know it could have been an early G. The supercharger intake looks bigger than an F4, and the radiator intake looks like a G intake under the cowl when compaired to the F2/F4. Don't remember what the windscreen/canopy frame looked like.

gary