1/72 F-15E Strike Eagle by Revell (Hasegawa)

A little "Blast from the past": It must have been more than 20 years ago when I got two F-15E-kits from Italeri as a christmas gift (looks like Santa somehow mixed it up and I ended with two kits). However, since at that time with an age of around 15 I procurred my jetfighters more along the lines of "how can I beat my cousins airforce" than any other considerations. And I needed a Mach 2.5 fighterbomber... ;)/>

Now, decades (oh my ...) later, I´m building again a F-15E, this time the Revell kit which is a reboxing of the Hasegawa kit. After browsing through f-15e.net, I know that even this excellent kit does not represent a current service aircraft, mainly the pylons attached to the FAST are wrong. And of course the weapon load of about 20 CBUs is not a very clever way to use a precision bomber like the F-15E. Well, to cure that I have a set of Hasegawas smart bombs, the pylons will be scratched and I hope my decades worth of experience will help me to produce something better than those two bird from the late 80ies...

Current progress shows the cockpit nearly finished with two pilots from Revells excellent pilot set already taking seat.

IMG_3523.jpg

IMG_3525.jpg

HAJO

Edited by Hajo L.

Looks like a great start on the cockpit!

The kit is a piece of work to get it to look like a up-to-date Strike Eagle. I did the same build a few years back and posted about the mods done at the time:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=236951&st=0&p=2258558entry2258558

Good luck with your project!

Andy

Outstanding work on your Eagle, but I doubt I will do all the modifications that are necessary. I just completed a longer and quite detailed build of a Chinook and now want some more fun than work on my bench... ;)

HAJO

Dumb question without checking my references: Are the jet intakes of all F-15E angled downward? Or is that a function to get more air during takeoff? Are these intakes "flexible"?

HAJO

Uhm, ohm... MLG-covers.... Most likely simply ignore the fact that they come wrong with the kit... ;)/> (= don´t change them but use them OOB).

A smoothed out dab of Milliput might be the route I'd take.

The pilots-set is this one:

Thanks! - may have to check that one out.

Dumb question without checking my references: Are the jet intakes of all F-15E angled downward? Or is that a function to get more air during takeoff? Are these intakes "flexible"?

Yup, correct - the intakes on the Eagle can be tilted down to improve the airflow in certain regimes. Here is a (large-ish!) head-on pic of an Eagle with one intake up and one down.

HTH,

Andre

Andre, the set is really worth the money! Only thing I´d like to criticize is that all pilots have oxygen masks, which makes it a bit harder to use them as helo pilots. But nothing a sharp knife can´t change... ;)

Thanks for the picture of the two different intake settings!

HAJO

Hmm, I thought I reduced the size of the sheet correctly (the original is in 1:48, and says that if I reduce it to 66% it would be good to go in 1:72), but the long pylons under the FAST went right until the engines...

Here you can see the current result after I chopped those ends of and reduced to a more correct size:

IMG_3531.jpg

For the smaller pylons (3 each) I will use the parts of one of my Italeri F-15E (mentioned at the beginning of my first post).

HAJO

Gear struts and doors are in position, as well as the FAST-pylons.

IMG_3532.jpg

I also worked on the burner cans (in the background), and they really were a PITO to do, because I had to add three little struts to each of the five panels. And of course the carpet monster ate several - which doesn´t bothered me too much, since also a good portion of these struts suffered some bad moulding problems, they were too short!

Anyway, today doing modelling was more hard work than joy...

HAJO

Uops... This somehow went quicker than expected - nearly ready for painting now!

IMG_3535.jpg

Instructions call for Revell 77 overall, but that´s too dark. I will instead use Revells Blueish Grey 79, that looks much better.

IMG_3533.jpg

IMG_3534.jpg

HAJO

Yep, I tried to paint the inside gunship grey, but looks like I didn´t ccovered all areas that were white.

I also changed the colour of the nose-radome (for the third time....). I had it in Revell grey 57, that was too bright - same applied for Revell 47, still too bright. Now it´s Revell 74 and I´m happy:

IMG_3544.jpg

Decals are also applied (pictures later), now I have to aplly some decals to the bomb-load.

HAJO

HAJO,,

Your1:72 F-15 E Strike Eagle is AWESOME looking. :wub:

I think it looks absolutely FANTASTIC and the loadout is just MEAN looking..

:worship: :worship: :worship:

I can't wait for your photos in natural sunlight. It will enhance the beauty of your model greatly..perhaps you should photoshop it too. :D