Tamiya RAF Mustang

That's rather nice! :thumbsup: In particular, a nice tidy paint job. Was the camo masked or freehand?

Couple of small points, though, if you don't mind. Firstly, I'd query the paint chipping on the trailing edge of one prop blade - the 11 o'clock blade looked at from the front.

Secondly, more a query than a crit: RAF Mustangs generally extended the white nose back from the spinner in the same way that the 8th Air Force P-51 groups did. Did you have a photo that showed it the way you've depicted it?

But aside from those, a super job, well done.

Niiiice. Mustang Mk III with a Malcolm hood in RAF clothes, just about perfection. Mind you, I reckon any of the Bs & Cs look better with the Malcolm hood, regardless of whose clothes they wearing.

Steve.

Niiiice. Mustang Mk III with a Malcolm hood in RAF clothes, just about perfection. ...

Steve.

Without wishing to hi-jack the thread, and certainly no criticism of the OP's model, a pony with black and white D-Day stripes looks even better imo. :)

Edited by MikeC

That's rather nice! :thumbsup:/> In particular, a nice tidy paint job. Was the camo masked or freehand?

Thanks for the comments. The camo was done freehand using a Badger Patriot airbrush and Model Master enamel paints.

Secondly, more a query than a crit: RAF Mustangs generally extended the white nose back from the spinner in the same way that the 8th Air Force P-51 groups did. Did you have a photo that showed it the way you've depicted it?

Superb job on this model, especially the very precise freehand camouflage. Have to agree that the Mustang III looks best in RAF colours...even better in Polish squadron markings.

The missing white nose band is not your fault, if I recall Tamiya's painting instructions didn't show it. The RAF initially followed the 8th AF practice of white spinner and 12" noseband as a recognition feature, as well as white bands on the wings. Horbaczewski had three Mustangs, the one you modelled was his last one. Here is a rather poor photo from the front:

FB387b.jpg

And another of him with the scoreboard, showing that Tamiya went with politically correct versions of the swastika on the V-1 kills:

HOrbaczewski3.jpg

Regardless, excellent job on the model!!!

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut

The missing white nose band is not your fault, if I recall Tamiya's painting instructions didn't show it. The RAF initially followed the 8th AF practice of white spinner and 12" noseband as a recognition feature, as well as white bands on the wings.

Yes, Tamiya was wrong in many features of the FB387 scheme:

• White nose - missing
  • White bands on wings and tailplane - missing
  • Yellow bands on the leading edge - should reach to the fuselage
  • White bomb markings - should be yellow
  • Polish chessboard - should be on both sides
  • Upper row of crosses - one cross is missing
  • V-1 kill markings - totally wrong
  • Wrong position of "PK-G" and roundel - should me more aft, with "G" touching the roundel and the Sky band

Correct decal set for FB387 is produced by Techmod. They also have decals for FB382 with D-Day stripes.