Dec. 31 update:

This is going to be my first build of this GB:

100_0334.jpg

Airfix's 1/144 727-200 in Braniff's "jellybean" scheme. Other than the decals from Draw Decal, this will be an OOB build. Will decide which colour to do when I reach that stage of the build.

Jan. 6 update:

Small update for me... got the fuselage, wings etc together, working now on puttying.

I have to say I'm not liking this kit (Airfix 727). Why does it have no plastic for the passenger windows, for example. Could go on about other things, too... I only know of this and the Minicraft kit... I think it's high time for a B727 in 1/144 that's up to modern kit standards!

Edited by Litvyak
  • 3 weeks later...

Litvyak---no pics or updates? I had some spare time and was going to work on my

Airfix beast. Was hoping to look to you for some guidance. Haven't had a whole

lot of experience with Airfix OR 727s.---John :(

Sorry - I do have some photos on the camera, but have been a bit scatterbrained; I'll get them up either tonight or tomorrow!

There has been progress made. I've got the fuselage done and painted, and the engines on... and I've started the process of decalling. I got a set of Nazca detail decals, but I'm considering skipping on the tiny ones as I can already feel myself getting frustrated!

The buildup is quite easy, though there are some gaps mounting the engines to the fuselage. I wanted to paint first, though, as the Braniff scheme would have made for some very annoying masking work back there... for a build where the engines and the fuselage are the same colour, though, I'd definitely do the assembly first, fill the gaps and then paint.

Main reason why the kit has no clear window parts is because most modelers who opt for the clear windows just use Micro Krystal Klear to make them. Either that, or they back fill the windows with putty and sand them flush, then use aftermarket decals. Back when the kit was first tooled up, it had clear side window sprues, but they were THICK and just didn't seem to look right at all when used. You are working with a kit that is pushing close to 40 years old afterall (it's still the best 1/144 727-200 out there in terms of accuracy although the Minicraft kit which has a few bad inaccuracies builds better).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm calling this done, finally... and I have a newfound respect for those who model airliners, and do it well... I'd gone into this thinking it'd be a relatively easy build, only to discover the opposite, so much more care needs to go especially into finishing to make it look good!

It's not front-of-the-shelf material for sure, not my best build ever, but it looks alright from a few feet away.

A couple of WIP shots...

100_0340_zps79e4b77d.jpg

100_0342_zps7c36707c.jpg

And some shots of the finished airplane:

100_0349_zps781a0195.jpg

100_0348_zpsa98eebcd.jpg

100_0356_zps6fe3eefe.jpg

100_0352_zpsa0908bc4.jpg

That's EXCELLENT considering what you had to work with. I know

what that kit is like as I am currently tackling one myself. I

hope mine makes it that far as it is very trying on the nerves,

every piece has to be sanded and shaped or puttied. There is

definitely a need for a new 1/144 727.Great job and thanks for

the "inspiration"!---John

Thanks guys!

You know how there are some kits that give you nothing but pleasure as you build them? Well, this defs wasn't one of them! There were a few points where I had to just leave it alone for a few days... honestly if it weren't for the fact that it was my first build for this GB, I may not have finished it.

I agree wholeheartedly with the sentiment that there is need for a new 727 in 1/144!