RCAF Auxiliary 402 sqdn 'City of Calgary' Mustang

This will be one of the postwar Mustang's of the RCAF Auxiliary squadrons, specifically 403 Squadron, City of Calgary. Leading Edge Decals and Tamiya's 1/72 F-51D kit.

The start pic:

8340339958_a07310a613.jpg

Tamiya F-51D Mustang 1/72 by mawz_models, on Flickr

And progress, it moved pretty quickly this weekend.

8356606616_28712dc6f5.jpg

8356606476_02cc6cede1.jpg

8355543481_53e65b7078.jpg

Just needs a bit of filler at the tailplanes and at the leading edge if the wing root, then it's time for paint.

That kit just fell together. Is it a rebox of an Italeri kit?

It does just about fall together. Very nice kit overall, my only complaints are the lack of a forward radiator face and dropped flaps (both present on the 1/48 kit) and the wheel wells, of course in the latter only the Airfix 1/72 kit gets them right in scales below 1/32.

This is definitely not an Italieri rebox, far from it in fact, this is the 1/48 Tamiya kit scaled down to 1/72. It's MUCH nicer than the Italieri kit, and far better in shape (I've built the Italieri kit before, it's not the best P-51D on the market and is in no way an F-51D despite the billing on the box).

One advantage of building in 1/72, the little guys just fall together if the engineering is good, and this is one of Tamiya's gems, scaled down from their exceptional 1/48 kit. Generally a modern kit of a WW2 fighter is a 2 weekend job for me, 1 building and 1 painting/decalling. This one is particularly easy because the pit is all-black rather than a mix of black & interior green like most Mustangs.

And yes, it's ready for the NMF. I'm not using Alclad, so there's less prep work for the paint. I just need to get the hood masked and mounted and mask the gear bays and then I'll shoot the main paint.

Edited by mawz

And yes, it's ready for the NMF. I'm not using Alclad, so there's less prep work for the paint. I just need to get the hood masked and mounted and mask the gear bays and then I'll shoot the main paint.

Nice work, mawz. What kind of paint will you be using?

Mike

Oh man you are right on that one. I am trying to finish 2 NMFs and the prep for Alclad was just killer. They are looking the part now but I'm going to be putting the NMF away for a while when these are done!!

Can't wait to see more of yours!!

Nice work, mawz. What kind of paint will you be using?

Mike

I use a 50-50 mix of Tamiya's X-11 and XF-16, it's not an Alclad finish but does a decent rendition of High Speed Silver, or Aluminum dope finishes (which is actually more correct for this particular Mustang, which was painted Aluminum rather than the more common bare aluminum finish).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cool! This, and Shawn's build got me wondering. How many Mustangs did Canada have in those RCAF aux. squadrons? Looks like quite a lot.

There were 100 of them, across 10 Auxiliary Squadrons, 2 Regular Squadrons, the JATC and the CETF at Rockcliff, ON. The RCAF was extremely large during the 1950's, peaking at 41 squadrons and 51,000 personnel in 1955.

Cool! This, and Shawn's build got me wondering. How many Mustangs did Canada have in those RCAF aux. squadrons? Looks like quite a lot.

That is a beautiful job on that Mustang!

Just to elaborate on the history, the RCAF received 130 Mustangs between 1947 and 1951. They served in six Auxiliary Squadrons (402, 403, 420, 424, 442 and 443), two Regular Squadrons (416 and 417), and ten miscellaneous units including the WEE (Winter Experimental Establishment), 1 OTU, AAS (Air Armament School) and NRC (National Research Council) among others. Many of the Mustangs flying today are ex-RCAF.

Richard

Edited by anotherP51nut