This kits magically showed up on my doorstep one day. I had no idea where it came from until I received a message from my friend HOLMES. I was completely taken aback by the generousity shown to me by HOLMES. I have since paid it forward on a couple of occasions to show my thanks. :thumbsup:/>/>/>

I hope I'm able to do this kit justice. Included is a bunch of aftermarket stuff (details, cockpit, wheel bays, landing gear, decals, etc). Here are a few photos to show what I'll be working on. I told HOLMES that I'd be saving this gift and building it for this GB. True to my word, this is my entry to honour my friend HOLMES.

Box

DSC_0007.jpg

Aftermarket resin and photo etch stuff

DSC_0008.jpg

Zotz Decals. There are five or six aircraft from this Squadron to choose from. No idea yet as to which one I'll do.

DSC_0009.jpg

DSC_0010.jpg

Size DOES Matter. This thing will be LARGE. Look at the six inch ruler for an idea of how big it is going to be.

DSC_0011.jpg

I'm currently building a Sabre for the Reserves GB. I won't be starting this until that project is complete and Her Nibs and I have returned form our vacation in the 2nd week of February.

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Mike

As promised, I will be watching this one closely. But don't cancel your vacation to start it earlier on my account.

I am very impressed (but not at all surprised) at HOLMES' generosity - and I can attest to your commitment to 'paying it forward' for reasons you know very well.

Looking forward to seeing this build.

ALF

Ok - I can't help it. That box art is confusing. It shows a Crusader in a landing configuration (save for the hook) and full flaps. It also appears to be in afterburner. Now it could be that the plane lost the hook and is going around... but damn its practically over the island of the carrier... so I am not sure about that. Given the position it could be doing the pattern before landing but would it be in full after burner and full flap at this point? Its not even downwind, let alone approach! But I am no expert on landing procedure for the F8

It can't be at takeoff unless its normal to go full flap on the cat. I can't see why anyone would want to do that.

This box art is weird, Mike....

But I can't wait to see you build this big boy!

• 5 weeks later...

Well my project for the National Reserves GB is finished so it's now on to this project.

I had a gander at some of the resin that was included in this package I got from HOLMES. There is some minor damage to a couple of pieces but no deal breakers. At least I don't think so. I will admit that I am intimidated by the amount of resin work that will be required here but as I have said to others, and as I learned with one of my Sabre builds, slow and steady wins the race.

I'm not sure how much progress will be made over the next couple of days as I'm back to work (day shift) for the weekend. We'll see how next week plays out. I'll post some photos as I progress and I'm sure I'll have a question or two as I go along.

Thanks for your support and I'll be back next week.

Mike

• 4 weeks later...

After much delay, I finally started this project mere moments ago. I've started gluing seat and cockpit parts together. As I said above, I am intimidated by the amount of resin supplied with this build and quite frankly it is one of the reasons I have been so apprehensive to start this build. I am therefore donating the vast majority of the A/M resin as a raffle prize. I'm taking my own advice and that of others. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and not one to make you nervous. I was very apprehensive about using the resin and screwing it up and that's not what it's supposed to be about.

I feel as if I have let people down by saying I was going to use the resin and then backing away from it. I'm sorry for that. At least, as a raffle prize, the resin can go to someone who will use it and enjoy it.

Mike

After much delay, I finally started this project mere moments ago. I've started gluing seat and cockpit parts together. As I said above, I am intimidated by the amount of resin supplied with this build and quite frankly it is one of the reasons I have been so apprehensive to start this build. I am therefore donating the vast majority of the A/M resin as a raffle prize. I'm taking my own advice and that of others. This is supposed to be a fun hobby and not one to make you nervous. I was very apprehensive about using the resin and screwing it up and that's not what it's supposed to be about.

I feel as if I have let people down by saying I was going to use the resin and then backing away from it. I'm sorry for that. At least, as a raffle prize, the resin can go to someone who will use it and enjoy it.

Mike

Mike

I understand you might feel you've let folks down, but I don't think you have at all. I have (very publicly) struggled at times with AM resin, and I totally support your idea of giving them to someone who will not only do a great job with it, but will actually enjoy the process of working with it. Just like with my CF-104 build in this GB, I too was daunted by the resin. Turns out it was a huge challenge. I only decided to do a second one with the resin after totally screwing up the first resin set; for someone like you who is unlikely to do another big Crusader, it is only wise and fair to donate the resin as a prize.

ALF

Thank you all (and a big hats off to you ALF :thumbsup:/> ) for understanding my resin quandry. I appreciate your support.

As for pics, I have only eight...count 'em...8...parts glued together.

Fuselage Halves

FuselageHalves_zps9b3a7333.jpg

Sprues

Sprues1_zps6d551ec8.jpg

Sprues2_zpsb2471ce9.jpg

Seat parts glued together

Seatparts_zps3907d6a7.jpg

Mike

Edited by AX 365

Due to circumstances beyond my control, very little work has been done on this project since I last posted. I have painted the PE seatbelts a tan colour. I will be attaching those in the next little while. After I get the seat done, I can concentrate on the rest of the cockpit area. So far, the assembly is very good. This is the first Trumpeter kit I have built and the parts alignment and fit is quite good.

I spoke too soon. Based on what I've encountered, I really detest P/E seat belts. I'm doing my best but so far I'm not a big fan of them.

Well things are finally returning to a somewhat normal state of affairs in our home. The last two weeks have been very busy for us. My wife's dad passed away on the 14th of this month. With family coming from Western Canada and New York State, model building took a back seat. With most family now gone home, the hubbub is finally subsiding.

I have finally managed to get some work done on this beast. It will be about the same size as a 32nd scale F-4. I had initially planned to build this all buttoned up but I have chosen to leave a few panels open for display purposes.

The seat has been assembled and painted and the P/E added. It's not my greatest work but it turned out quite a bit better than I thought it would.

Seat1_zps3e464345.jpg

Seat2_zpsee1cba07.jpg

Seat3_zps09472f14.jpg

Seat4_zpsfe1ff009.jpg

The cockpit tub has been mostly assembled. It is ready for paint.

CockpitTub_zpse65b9fb2.jpg

The right main gear bay and right gun assembly have also been completed and installed.

RightGearBay_zps6771f424.jpg

RightGunBay_zps919acf6c.jpg

Thanks for looking in. As usual, constructive criticism and helpful comments are always welcome.

Mike

Mike I'm definitely not an expert at this jet but good on you for taking on the challenge. The Seat detail looks real good and I've never used PE Belts myself, only one critique I have is that the belts look a little too bowed out and not naturally just hanging..... Mind you I figure they are pretty fiddly,so don't go in and bust them up.

Hey BTW shoot me your address via the email and I'll send you some of that Luminescent stuff too. ALF figures he's good for a Bazillion MFDs I got a whole roll That I know at my pace I will never use even with a chance of reincarnation.

Cheers

Emil

Mike I'm definitely not an expert at this jet but good on you for taking on the challenge. The Seat detail looks real good and I've never used PE Belts myself, only one critique I have is that the belts look a little too bowed out and not naturally just hanging..... Mind you I figure they are pretty fiddly,so don't go in and bust them up.

Hey BTW shoot me your address via the email and I'll send you some of that Luminescent stuff too. ALF figures he's good for a Bazillion MFDs I got a whole roll That I know at my pace I will never use even with a chance of reincarnation.

Cheers

Emil

Thanks, Emil.

I had tried as much as I dare to to try to get the belts to hang naturally. The P/E isn't very forgiving in that respect. This is my first attempt at P/E belts. I can give it another go to see if I can 'loosen' things up to see if I can get them to hang a little more realistically. Thanks for the input, mon chum. I appreciate you stopping by. And thanks for your offer. A PM with my home address is on the way.

The fit of all the inserts (gun bays, gear bays, air brake well and refuelling probe) is actually very good. I've only dry fitted the air brake well and the left main gear bay but every other ones I've glued into place went in quite easily and and look very realistic with a good amount of detail (as in the photos above).

Mike

Looking good, Mike. My Kinetic Hawk build is my first try at PE seat belts as well - they definitely look a bit tough to bend. Wine bottle "lead" covering is easy to manipulate, but it doesn't easily lend itself to the nice buckle detail you've done.

This kit is looking nice. Lots of cool detail, and huge to boot. Size does matter!

ALF

I got the belts to sag a bit better but they're not perfect. I can live with what I have achieved in that respect. I have painted the cockpit, given it a bit of a wash and assembled it. Doesn't look too bad.

Now the next issue to deal with...

When I got the kit and gave it a quick look over, I noted that some assembly had taken place on the engine. I didn't think much of it until I got to that stage of build yesterday. Upon closer inspection of what had already been glued in place, I noticed that some pieces had been glued in place and then removed. The original builder had opted to use an Aires resin afterburner can and exhaust. I was going to to build the engine with kit parts. As some of those parts are missing and nowhere to be found in the box, I am going to have to use the resin exhaust pieces. I have assembled some of the engine pieces and will be removing the our stubs on the resin pieces. There will be some fiddling, adjusting, finessing, caressing, swearing, and manipulation involved but I think I should be able to get everything to work out properly. Will post more photos when more has been completed.

Mike

Hey mike itd actualy a good thing that exaust is a huge impovement and should not be too much hassle

Hi neo. Thanks for stopping by. I'm actually trying to get things set up so I can use the resin exhaust. Should I not be successful, someone here has made a very generous offer to provide the necessary pieces from a donor kit he has. Thank you, sir! :thumbsup:/>

Did you anneal the belts before painting them? that might have helped.....

Hi Lee. Thanks for checking in and leaving some feedback. I was considering but I decided not to. As I mentioned earlier in the thread, this was my first attempt at P/E belts. Given what has transpired, I might give annealing a go the next time I use P/E belts.

Here are a few more shots of what has been completed so far.

The completed cockpit assembly. All kit plastic and no resin.

CompleteCockpit1_zpscce6a0e6.jpg

CompleteCockpit2_zpse3583933.jpg

CompleteCockpit3_zpsc2952e14.jpg

Assorted bays glued in place

NoseGearBay_zps5b5fc282.jpg

BottomBay_zpsd0038dfb.jpg

LeftMainGearBay_zps1ac5f03a.jpg

RefuelingBay_zpsc2f7441c.jpg

TopBay_zps595ef12b.jpg

Thanks for looking in folks.

Mike