Progress limited...actually none...since my last post due to work and life related obligations. I have done a bit of tinkering with the resin exhaust and I think I should be able to get it installed and looking somewhat half decent. It won't be perfect but it should be pretty darn close. However, Don's generous offer is still there should I need it.

Thanks ALF and Elmo for the comments. The cockpit turned out pretty good all things considered.

Mike

Here's what I came up with to mount the resin exhaust. The kit engine is a very nice build with many P/E parts but none of it would be visible once installed in the fuselage. The intake runner is closed off at the back end so you can't see any detail of the engine face. I glued a few pieces of strip styrene together and then glued them to the resin exhaust. I then placed the strip styrene into the slot where the tabs for the kit engine would go. I superglued the exhaust to the moulded in ribs on the bottom of the fuselage behind the arrestor hook well. I then glued in the intake runner and then glued in the cockpit tub. While the glued was setting the tub in place I dry fir the fuselage halves together to make sure things lined up properly. This is how it turned out.

Installedburner1_zps48f0032a.jpg

Installedburner2_zps57c72081.jpg

Installedburner3_zps2a3d2228.jpg

Burner1_zps83afdd2b.jpg

Installedcockpit1_zps1b681329.jpg

Installedcockpit2_zps808c7279.jpg

Installedcockpit3_zpsb728e71b.jpg

Thanks for looking and as usual, any comments or constructive criticism is always welcome.

Mike

Great practical solution, Mike.

I forget if this was mentioned, but is this kit a tail-sitter? The mains are quite far aft, so it may be OK, but for sure the omission of the engine parts will help with the fore/aft weighting.

ALF

True but the resin can is much heavier than the plastic one

You're right about that - all the more reason not to include the rest of the engine.

Mike

It may be prudent to add a tiny bit of nose weight. The guy who posted about having built this kit with no tail-sitting problem probably didn't have a resin exhaust, but then again, your seat is heavier than the kit version as well.

ALF

Bonjour, messieurs!

Based on feed back received in this thread and a separate one, I will be adding a bit of extra weight in the nose to keep this from being a bum dragger. There are a couple of places in the nose (under the I/P coaming - the void is visible in the photos above - and in the nose cone) to hide some weight. The resin exhaust piece is a tad bit heavier than the kit piece but not by much. I'm hoping that with an ounce or so of extra weight that she'll be okay. I'll find out soon enough.

I've pretty well glued the fuselage together. I've been doing it in sections where the seam are. This allows me greater control in order to prevent steps or misaligned joins. Will post a few more photos when a bit more progress is made.

Thanks for looking in folks.

Mike

For peace of mind, yeah, add some weight. Better to add now than to try later. On my build, i left out most of the engine except the tailpipe. Everything else was as packaged. Give you an idea how it would stay on its nose, my build pictured is still on its nose with a Loony, a Toony, and 4 quarters on the stabilator. Still stable with $4.00 on the tail. Any more and it would tip.

IMG_2551_zpscb2076f1.jpg

Edited by dmthamade
  • 2 months later...

Got a bit of the mojo back after being in a funk since my last post on this subject. Not a whole lot done but I am progressing onto the wings. I've decided to complete them as Don has in the photo above; non folded and not raised. No photos but as I make a bit more progress I'll post some more.

Mike

Glad to see you're back in the saddle. It's probably best to keep it simple; that usually keeps the juices flowing freely.

Looking forward to seeing more.

ALF

Great to see progress on the Crusader. I like that you're building it wings spread and down. The Crusader is such a sleek aircraft any other way disturbs the clean lines. That big tail always reminds me of a big finned 50's Cadillac or Chrysler, classic cars/classic aircraft.

Don

I've also decided to close up the majority of the open panels (refueling probe, guns, etc) to give it a sleeker look. I've added the panels in the closed position. I'm also opting not to display any weapons stations or stores. I will also be closing the canopy. The upper and lower part of the main wing assembly have been glued together. The IP coaming has been glued in place to hide the fishing sinkers (steel secured with carpenter's glue). The nose cone has been glued on. The speed brake on the lower fuselage will be left open. The inside of the brake door is red so that should give a nice visual distraction to the completely white underside.

A bit at a time. Any progress is better than no progress or regression. WIll post some photos a bit later on.

Thanks for checking in.

Mike

A few photos of the progress made since the last photo update:

Photo of the right side of the fuselage. This thing is large!

RightFuselage_zps18eff8b7.jpg

Main portion of the wings including the leading edges glued into place.

CompletedWings_zps3424d124.jpg

Outboard sections of the wings. The fit will actually be quite good.

Wingtips_zps887c0b93.jpg

The front windscreen in place. Still needs some work.

FrntWindscreenInstalled_zpsace860d0.jpg

Closed up access panels on the left side.

ClosedBayLeftSide_zps66c87463.jpg

Closed up access panels on the right side.

ClosedBaysRightSide_zpsb2fb4bde.jpg

Thanks for looking in.

Mike

A few photos of the progress made since the last photo update:

Photo of the right side of the fuselage. This thing is large!

RightFuselage_zps18eff8b7.jpg

Looking nice, Mike.

Hey, when I look at the top left of this picture (behind Sabre AX 365), I see what looks like a model of an old-style telephone. Are you making this for a museum? It almost looks real... :whistle:

ALF

Neo and ALF:

Thanks for looking in, guys. The wings will be glued in place. I'm sure I could have folded them up but it's a bit of a complicated process to do so. It's one or the other; folded or extended. Granted, folded would have given me more display space but extended is easier to paint and decal. I'm all for the easy part of things. That's why I closed up all the inspection panels too.

As for the phone, the plastic is the wrong colour, the shape is wrong, it's missing parts, I can't find glue that will hold things together, etc etc etc. Many folks can't believe we still have a rotary dial phone, let alone a working one. It's probably older than I am. Damn...

The wings have been fully constructed and assembled with flaps, slats, ailerons, folding tips, etc glued in place. The wing to fuselage join is quite good and I won't have to apply a whole lot of filler. Yea! That's a six inch ruler beside the wing. Some sanding and finish work will is still required on some of the joints.

FullyCompletedWings_zps70a291e1.jpg

WingFoldHingeJoint_zpsc9a7ca3e.jpg

Next are a couple of size comparison shots. The CF-104 is also in 1/32 scale. The wings of the Crusader have just been set in place to enhance the photo. Once the finishing touches have been applied, I'll glue them in place.

Comparison1_zps47e4ed1f.jpg

Comparison2_zpsa9328541.jpg

As always, constructive criticism and helpful comments are always welcome.

Thanks.

Mike

Interesting juxtaposition, Mike.

The fuselages are similar lengths, but the guidance fins wings on the CF-104 look puny next to the Crusaders' !

You're doing some neat work, and it looks like the kit is pretty good in terms of fit and ease of assembly so far.

ALF

Thanks ALF.

I noted that disparity also. It's pretty significant. I have a 1/32 Phantom as well and the CF-104 is almost the same length but of course the wings are another story. You sometime have to wonder how the Starfighter stayed in the air with such puny wings?

Pretty good fit so far. I have glued the landing gear together. I'm going to have to take great care after installing them and while handling and painting. It looks like they might be a bit spindly and delicate. I'll have to leave the ham fists at the door as I enter the room.

Mike

• 1 month later...

Many apologies for the delay in posting here. Summer has been getting in the way and I only sit at the bench for a few minutes at a time. I have made very good progress on the construction aspect but I don't think I'll be finished by deadline date. The canopy and windscreen are glued on as are the landing gear and gear doors. I'm in the process of gluing the main wings in place. I should be able to start painting on the weekend, if the weather is favourable and the fancy strikes me. I'm leaving the horizontal stabs off until painting is done. She'll be much easier to paint that way.

Mike

No worries.... I'm no where near starting yet. LMAO Honey do list always gets in the way.

Don't I know that! It's okay though. If it wasn't for the last minute, nothing would ever get done because everything always gets done at the last minute!

I might be able to start painting later today or tomorrow. We'll see.

I might be able to start painting later today or tomorrow. We'll see.

It was a noble idea but it never came to fruition. It's official. I'm not gonna get this done before deadline. Oh well. It was fun trying.

• 5 weeks later...