150th FW "The Tacos" F-16CG, New Mexico ANG

I started with cutting out the wheel well, which will be replaced with the CMK wheel well.

I am also using the CMK big mouth intake, this way I can use the kit's intake later on a big mouth Block 30.

Actually, this is my first time I am using resin, but I haven't had anny issues yet. It seemes like the resin intake shrunk a little, I'll have to fill some gaps. I guess, I'll get back to that later in this thread.

Tacos_003.jpg

Tacos_004.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Then I went on to the cockpit:

I used a NeOmega ACESII seat, which I personally like the best. Very good detail to find there. Probably it has all the detail for a F-15 there, but thanks to Jake's book, I was able to modify it some. I added the FLCS recorder to the left side. The right hand knee guard (at least this is what I guess it is) and the pitot sensors will be added, too. The tub was modified to accept the seat's width.

I also found an Eduard Zoom Set for the F-16C kit inmy stash, which I had to try out. The side panels were just fine, but I just could not get the instrument panel to fit in there. Good enough for 1/72 scale, anyway.

Tacos_001.jpg

The next thing was the nozzle. The Eduard set also contains the interior of a PW nozzle. Not good for a Block 40, but I used it anyway. I still might have to modify the inside petals to look more like the F110 engine, as seen in Andy Mullen's 2007 F-16 build log. Still, a nice addition of detail tho the kit's plain GE nozzle.

Tacos_002.jpg

Yea, thanks! I'm not sure how the resin and PE stuff works out, as I've never used it exept for bang seats. But I am confident it will look great once the model is done. Work on the model will continue on friday.

Got some modelling done as I came home from work. :woot.gif:

I sanded off the glue seams on the pods and fuel tanks and...

...added the rails and the missing guard on the RH side of the seat.

Tacos_006.jpg

Hmmm... I don't remember this gap from the last Hasegawa F-16 build.

Tacos_007.jpg

Test fitting the seat.

Tacos_008.jpg

Initially, I misunderstood the instructions for the nozzle PE and folded all the petals over. This looks much better now.

Tacos_009.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Lancer-

Very nice! I like that you've added some missing details to the seat. An observation - I don't see the air data/pitot "horns" at the top of the headrest. Will you be adding these later?

Guten Abend! :)

That PE set really improves the look of the nozzle.

I shall see if I can do anything about it on my F-16 using some stripes of masking tape...

I'm really looking forward to seeing all these goodies come together to your finished model! :thumbsup:

Niki

Thanks for the cudos!

Niki, either masking tape, or even better, try to get some self-adhesive aluminum tape. Then scripe some ribbing with a toothpick or similar into it.

I just realized that this is the cheapest way of adding some detail to the nozzles, if you don't happen to have the PE already. I've got the old Revell 1/32 scale F-16C waiting to be finished, and once I am back into it, I'll try to get some nozzle detail with aluminum tape.

Today, I just did some airbrushing of the seat's light grey base color and the cockpit interior.

Edited by Lancer512

Yes. The pitot sensors are still missing on the seat.

I know that I'm just going to break them off while handling the seat, as it happened several times before. :coolio:/>

So they are the last thing to add to the seat.

Got it - smart move!

Got some messy resin work done this morning.

I installed the main landing gear wheel well, and modified the big mouth intake by milling off a chunk on top of the intake duct to look more like the real thing.

I also added a shim to the splitter (not sure what is is called exactly). As I've written above, the resin intake seems to be about 0.75 mm (0.030") too small in all dimenstions. It seems like the whole part shrunk. There is also a gap between the intake and the fuselage, so I need to insert a shim there, too.

Tacos_010.jpg

In fact, it is pretty easy. The skill is to cut it in such a way that you don't end up with too large gaps and aligning the resin correctly. I just use styrene to fill the gaps if the cut is too large. :rolleyes:/>

Something off topic:

Spectre, I don't know if you've seen my Citation conversion WIP. If not, take a look at it. The Citation was my first time I did major surgery, and I was surprised that I actually could do this.

Edited by Lancer512
  • 2 weeks later...

Could not get anything done last week due to family commitments, but this weekend i am back.

I modified the resin intake and added the strut in the inlet made from a piece of styrene.

Tacos_011.jpg

I also had to fill that gap between the intake and the fuselage. I used my favorite gap-filling method with styrene and CA glue.

This was follwed by brushing black acrylic paint onto the filled gap and sanding it off again to find any voids.

Tacos_012.jpg

The seat was airbrushed medium grey, and then painted to represent black sheepskin seat covers. I personally like the olive seat cushions better, but this is what I got from pictures.

Tacos_013.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Nice detail pictures! Haven't seen them before. Yellow intake covers.. hmm...:woot.gif:

The jet on your pictures is a Block 30. I'm gonna do their Block 30s at a later time, too. They use the narrow tail band. I have to figure out a way how to get the correct sized tailflash for the current build. It should go all the way down to the light assy and middle static dicharger. I've got decals from three different manufacturers, and the yellow bands are all wrong! :bandhead2:

F-16_NM489.jpg

My model is primed white and still needs some finishing touches before I paint it grey. I'm gonna keep you guys updated when I've got some progrees to show.

Edited by Lancer512