150th FW "The Tacos" F-16CG, New Mexico ANG

Wow!

Is that a NATS limited edition? Haven't seen this sheet before.

It even has the "5" in the correct shape. Another annoying thing decals manufactures forget. The 5 and the 7 was painted different in the last century!

I guess I'm going to paint the tail band yellow, and just print red decals for it.

• 2 weeks later...

Careful of the demarcation on the intake - it might be a little low and may need to be straighter.

I assume another color for the radome is coming?

I figuered that. It should only be to the width of the intake. First time I was using the Blue Tack sausage method. I have to get used to that kind of masking. I guess I'll repaint the intake today.

And yes, the radome will be painted in another shade of grey.

• 1 month later...

Okay... I am still alive!

A certain decal manufacturer from Texas got me sidetracked with a new toy... More on that later when I unveil my secret project.

This is my attempt to drybrush the nozzle. I personally think it is too strong. I guess I'll tone it down with a Q-Tip moistened with enamels thinner.

Tacos_20.jpg

And the distinct yellow tailband of the 150th FW. I had the yellow loaded in my airbrush for the above mentioned project, so I just went ahead and sprayed the F-16, too.

Tacos_21.jpg

I just realized the price tag on the yellow paint tinlet... We got rid of the Deutsche Mark in January 2002 in favour of the Euro. However, the paint was like new.

Edited by Lancer512
  • 1 month later...

I started to repaint part of the fuselage. The gunship grey will hopefully be finished today. And I have to repaint the radome. Never ever use FS 35237 for the radome!

In the meantime, I finished some of the loadout.

Tacos_022.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Okay... Just the radome and the nozzle left to paint, and then I am going to finish the cockpit. I'm still not happy with how the dorsal fin came out, but I don't care enough to fix it again.

Tacos_023.jpg

you can use almost any color on the radome depending on it's age and where it flew (pollution).

Great build you've got going here. Nice job with the additions!

As Ruud wrote, you can use any grey, depending the wear and age of the radome.

I just picked FS 35237 randomly, but it appears waaay too blueish. I thnik I used 36320 on my last F-16, but wanted to make it look different.

Oh... The radome in the last picture is 35237 with overspray of 36375.

Edited by Lancer512

I am really pushing the build now to get it done within the deadline.

I decided to paint the radome in 36320 with two drops of 36118. The model is now ready for the clearcoat.

Tacos_024.jpg

A close up shot of the exhaust nozzle. This is the second try, now with Revell silver. MM Metalizer titanium did not look right, and another coat of stainless Metallizer messed ud the underlying enamel coat.

Tacos_025.jpg

I am currently fighting with a gloss clear coat. Airbrushing thinned Future messed up the underside, and brushng it on didn't help either. I might revert to Revell clear on the top side.

Update: I just spent the last hour in the bathroom with Windex and a toothbrush. I was able to remove the Future from the model, so I am back where I started yesterday.

Edited by Lancer512

It's no use in trying to get the clear coat on again today.

Instead I finished the scratch build WAR HUD.

Tacos_027.jpg

Does this look like a Block 40/42 F-16C?

Tacos_026.jpg

Edited by Lancer512

Okay... That's it! GAME OVER :crying2:

The decals are unusable, due to the wrong shade for 36118. The pictures tell everything.

I guess I can do it over with vinyl masks, but I am not able to do it until the deadline of the GB.

Right now, I don't feel like finishing this model. Too many things did not work out the way I wished.

The tailcode looks like medium grey (the camara did improve it, however).

Tacos_028.jpg

The square piece of decal is the same shade as the tailcode, which should be 36118. I have placed it on ModelMaster 36118 (with and without Future gloss coat).

Tacos_029.jpg

That is a serious bummer, I'm sorry to hear it. You've done a great job dealing with the issues that have come up on this build and I was looking forward to seeing the final product.