Hey All,

Here's my contribution to the GB. It's Academy's 1/144th B-47E. I will be building it with Wolfpak decals representing a B-47E from the 509th. So far, I've got the wings together, engines and fuel tanks together, and working on adding some detail to the cockpit.

2013-01-01173003_zps9be98560.jpg

2013-01-02214402_zps0502bd49.jpg

2013-01-08222807_zps5c46d7cc.jpg

2013-01-08222835_zpse1655f39.jpg

2013-01-08222845_zps8bb92e2e.jpg

More to follow!

John

I built the Hobbycraft RB-47 about 5 years ago, I think it's the same plastic overall as this Academy kit. I really enjoyed it, and would really like to build an E, maybe inflight behind a KC-97.

I look forward to watching your progress!

Jonah

Thanks, John. Hasegawa's kit is just a little too big for my taste. I also want to model an RB-47E or the EB-47E TELL TWO, and the Academy kit makes this goal more attainable due to the size of the kit.

V/r,

John

Thanks, Litvyak.

Small progress, but progress none the less. I got the wings (surprisingly good fit) glued onto the fuselage and I glued the nose on (not the best fitting part).

2013-01-17214718_zpsd88954c8.jpg

Let's hope I can find some serious modeling time this weekend!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. All assembled and almost ready for paint (just need to mask off the canopy).

2013-01-27213654_zps882d66bc.jpg

I also added one more detail to the cockpit. On the real B-47 it looked like there was a glass piece (?) in front of the co-pilot. I assume this was there to deflect the pilot's ejection seat flame?

2013-01-27213729_zps0aa1681c.jpg

I hope to get some primer on it tomorrow!

John

• 2 weeks later...

Small update. I re-applied the base NMF color (aluminum). The lighting in the pictures doesn't show it off well. I still plan to mask off some panels and paint them with different shades of natural metal. I also need to mask off the anti-glare panel around the cockpit.

2013-02-19164533_zpsb9cd13d7.jpg

I hope to get some time this week to work on it.

John

It was pretty difficult to paint around the main engine nacelles; the outboard engines shouldn't be much of an issue if the inboard engines are not attached. I would recommend attaching the inboard engines to their pylon (fill and sand that seam) and then leave these off until after painting. When you attach them, you'll have to do a little seam work between the pylon and wing. A little touch up painting will be needed, but I think that might yeild a better result as I think you can still see some of the undercoat if you look close enough in the right light.

• 2 weeks later...

First round of decals on. There are a few walkway decals that I need to piece together.

2013-03-03_173005_zpsad323a8e.jpg

Question to those in the know. The kit decals for the USAF lettering are black but the Wolfpak decals are blue. Which is corret? I realize it may be too late to fix mine.

John

• 2 weeks later...

I think I can see the light at the end of the tunnel. All I need to do is add the outer landing gear/doors and do some small touch ups.

2013-03-17_212216_zps8d290f60.jpg

I'm unsure if I'll take it to the Indianapolis show next Saturday or not.

V/r,

John

Edited by John King

I managed to get a few minutes to work on it tonight. No picture, but let me tell you all that the outer landing gear requires significant shortening so that all six wheels sit on the ground. As such, don't glue the small door (part 40) onto the landing gear as the instructions tell you to do until after the gear is installed.

John

Finished!

2013-03-21_213156_zpsd6ae5b8b.jpg

Not my best effort, but all six wheels touch the ground! It's not a bad kit, but I'm just not extremely happy with the end result. I'll pay more attention to the wing walkway decals next time; I got mine on fairly crooked. More photos in the Flight Line section of the GB. Thanks for all the positive encouragements along the way!

John