Looks like I will be doing A LOT of building

Hello Shawn ,

Sorry to hear about your injury..get well soon... :cop:/>

So, this emergency at work......were you late for the tea break..just pulling your leg....oops ..no pun intended ... :tease:/> :tease:/>

How are you doing... :OMG-OMG:/>

Edited by HOLMES

Are you sure you didn't break a mirror while walking under a ladder to avoid a black cat on Friday the 13th?

All joking aside buddy, take care of yourself. Take the time you need to recover. You know as well as I do that work will be there when you're ready to go back. Crime doesn't stop because we're not at work. Do what the doctors tell you and don't try to do too much on the wonky knee. The last thing you want to do is make things worse.

Chin up...or should I say Leg up...and get better soon. Is this going to put a crimp in your plans for Heritagecon?

Good luck, Shawn.

Mike

I am just chiming in now but have been following along since the first post. I hope you get well soon Shawn and (at least) are able to make it to the man cave for some bench time while off work. Although, that will cut like 90% of the competition from the Phantom GB, LOL!

I myself will be getting scheduled jaw surgery in March followed by 6 weeks of sick leave from the Air Force. I am crossing my fingers that I will be feeling good enough to get some bench time!

Being in pain is never fun so I seriously hope you have a fast recovery.

Cheers,

Denis

Surprised how it only hurts if I move. Next to nothing when I am still. Swelling is the only thing that proves, "yep, hope that surgeon wants to see me on Monday".

Convinced the boss I WAS having a shower and going to church today. Not dressed too well but God does not care about that! Bigger reason is I am not going to stink and look like a slug.

Today I am going to convince her I can go to the basement as I have figured out how to use the crutches just fine (IMHO). As I know there is not a hope of my model stuff coming upstairs.

Going up and down stairs on crutches requires a bit of technique, but it is quite doable. When I took my military "Classroom Instructor" course back in 1981 in Borden, I taught how to go up and down stairs on crutches as the practical skills lesson. The secret is this:

-hold both crutches under the injured leg's shoulder, with the other hand on the railing/bannister (the hand on the railing is the side with the good leg).

-Going up, raise the good leg and put it on the step above, with the weight on the crutches. Transfer the weight to the good leg, and lift the bum leg up to the next step. Transfer the weight back to the bum leg/crutches, and raise the good leg... etc.

-Going down, lower the bum leg with the crutches, with the weight on the good leg at first. When your bum leg and crutches get to the lower step, transfer the weight to them, and lower the good leg. Transfer weight to the good leg, then lower the bum leg and crutches, etc.

It's slow going, but you'll be back in Phantom-building heaven soon enough.

ALF

Yep ALF, thats what I WAS doing until told I can put zero weight on the bad knee. Now its mostly hopping while holding the railing. Thought I was doing it right. Boss informs me I am wrong.BANGHEAD2.jpg

Fun stuff, doctor booked me a appointment. Did not tell me which hospital of course or day or time. Phone local hospital. No clue of who I am. Turns out I go to Cambridge tomorrow morning.

They wanted me to drive out to Milton, pick up the x-rays and then come to them .........Ahhhhhhh no. Leg is immobilized completely straight. Boss will not drive on the 401. Talked them into doing new xrays tomorrow. OHIP can spring for that one seeing as the injury occurred for the betterment of the provence while on provincial business.

Fun stuff, doctor booked me a appointment. Did not tell me which hospital of course or day or time. Phone local hospital. No clue of who I am. Turns out I go to Cambridge tomorrow morning.

They wanted me to drive out to Milton, pick up the x-rays and then come to them .........Ahhhhhhh no. Leg is immobilized completely straight. Boss will not drive on the 401. Talked them into doing new xrays tomorrow. OHIP can spring for that one seeing as the injury occurred for the betterment of the provence while on provincial business.

I would laugh if it were not so true... being sick or injured is a full-time job, what with all the running around and waiting everywhere.

I can sympathize with SWMBO not driving on major highways... my wife will not drive in any major city on the highways. When we lived in Montreal, she knew every back road to avoid the 40, 15, 720, etc... I still remember getting a vasectomy in Valcartier (the base near Quebec City for our 'merican friends). She was supposed to drive to take us to the Montreal area afterward. No surprise, after I got out of the day surgery recovery, she looked at me with her persuasive eyes and asked me to drive "just until we get out of town". So I painfully got into the driver's seat, drove 25 km from Valcartier down a couple highways until we were on the 40 westbound to Montreal, then we did a seat switch in a truck stop parking lot. People were staring and pointing as I got out of the left seat (a 5-minute, slow process, with some wincing and pauses as lances of pain shot through my nether regions). I then hobbled around the back of the car on the ice-covered asphalt, and eventually got into the passenger seat.

Despite all that, I have no regrets - but it sometimes complicates life!

ALF

No kidding. I have a grievance downtown Toronto soon. Hope the surgeon will put me in a position I can drive the car. If the boss is afraid to drive on the 401 to only Milton there is no chance of getting her to drive me downtown TO.

Kind of have to attend this one. If I win it ,,..... well......would be worth the trip.