Alf, before you give up.....Two easy options.

Model Master chrome silver straight out of the bottle.

Or go with a different paint scheme, cam it up......

Or go with a rusty black overall, as in the BDR airframes left at Baden.

If you wanted to somewhat save the build you can always paint it with tamiyas gloss aluminum. Sprays great right from the can and looks very convincing. Dries fast and hard and will go over anything so it doesn't need the prep work of alclad.

+1 on the Tamiya spray bomb. I've managed to get reasonable looking NMF finishes with the spray paint. If you want the super glossy finish though, Alclad is your friend ( or enemy )

Don

I just might go with the camo option. Any natural metal finish will show the ALF-made blemishes on the plastic far too much. And Dave Winter's decals are just too beautiful to waste on such a poor finish.

I think I'll procure some overall green scheme decals to finish this one off.

Thanks for the pep talk, guys!

ALF

Sorry to read of your troubles with the 104 Dan. Been there myself a few times. Sounds like you got the right attitude and your doing the right thing by walking away from it right now, Im sure it'll make a wonderful overall green or varigated camo CF-104 sometime down the road... And remember, Italeri's new tooled 104 in 1/32 is just around the corner. :pray:

I just might go with the camo option. Any natural metal finish will show the ALF-made blemishes on the plastic far too much. And Dave Winter's decals are just too beautiful to waste on such a poor finish.

I think I'll procure some overall green scheme decals to finish this one off.

Thanks for the pep talk, guys!

ALF

Oh sure, copy mine!!w00t.gifrolleyes.gif

Go for it!!! You can do it! And do it well!!!!!!70.gif

For decals, I am using the new ones that are still available from Leading Edge. Just excellent.

Edited by phantom

ALF,

I'm sorry this build has kicked you in the pills once too often but I completely agree with your sentiment. This hobby is supposed to be fun. Sounds like you have been offered a recipe for lemonade in the form of a camo scheme. Great idea. It would be a shame to see your efforts go totally by the wayside. We all have builds that have stymied us. Just strive to do better next time. What's that old saying..."What doesn't kill you makes you stronger." You know what you have to do next time so when the time comes, grab a new kit build it up and don't make the same error twice. You WILL succeed.

Look forward to seeing your alternate plans for this build.

Remember...

Keep-calm-and-carry-on-scan_zps0786135c.jpg

Good luck buddy.

Mike

Oh sure, copy mine!!w00t.gifrolleyes.gif

Go for it!!! You can do it! And do it well!!!!!!70.gif

For decals, I am using the new ones that are still available from Leading Edge. Just excellent.

See how I did that? Led everyone on, manipulated you into building an overall green jet, then pulled a bait and switch at the last minute, all because I wanted to copy you? Masterful! :woot.gif:

I put in an order for the Leading Edge decals last night. Now if only Dave K would acknowledge receipt of the order...

ALF

Thats one way to go

also if you want another try Italeri it coming out with a new tool 1/32 F-104

I am definitely looking forward to when the Italeri kit comes out. But I can't wait that long... :crying2:

I might have to build another Hasegawa one while we all hold our breath for Italeri to pop the new one out.

ALF

Alf,

Read th thread all to way through and I am truly sorry that you had been almost defeated but phantons idea looks like a good plan ..

I hope you won't give up..

It's been a hell of a ride watching this build and I wish you all the luck...

HOLMES :cop::wave:

Alf,

Read th thread all to way through and I am truly sorry that you had been almost defeated but phantons idea looks like a good plan ..

I hope you won't give up..

It's been a hell of a ride watching this build and I wish you all the luck...

HOLMES :cop:/> :wave:/>

Thanks Holmes

There are some guys we can always count on to say just the right thing - and you're one of them!

Today I brought the carcass in from the garage, as promised, and will be sanding the finish smooth again, as a prelude to applying the green camouflage. I eagerly await the decals (Leading Edge). Work is keeping me quite busy this week and next, but I promise some progress soon.

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Welcome to Frankenbird!

I am in the process of fixing this one. First step was to sand off the hugely destroyed base coat. Virtually all of the surface detail is gone from the left rear fuselage. I will not be rescribing. I don't have the tools, nor the patience to do it.

I didn't take any pics of the botched paint job (second version). Too painful!

The wings and tail were beautifully painted white - it will be a shame to cover that up. Sigh.

See how the tip tanks are black and silver. One was already done with Alclad; the other was about to be sprayed. I think it looks a bit odd at the moment, but seeing it more fully assembled now with tip tanks, wings, and tail, it looks a lot like a 104. Things are looking up!

P1160762_zpsb3b6ace1.jpg

P1160763_zps4bb2503c.jpg

My 1/32 silver/green decals arrived in the mail from Leading Edge yesterday. At first I was unhappy - the instruction seat said 1/48 - but it turns out it's a common instruction sheet and the decals were the correct scale. On further inspection, it did mention 1/32 as well. Minor heart event... :rolleyes:

Now I have to figure out which tail number. It will be overall green, with the 439 logo on the tail, and the all-black nose (even the underside of the radome). I will have time in the near future to get this puppy done. Also, I ordered a new kit and resin cockpit from Spruebrothers - they should arrive soon. I will use that kit, plus some lessons learned the hard way on this one, to do the all-metal scheme.

Happy to be back on track with this one, and thanks to all who offered such kind words of encouragement.

:thumbsup:

ALF

I might have settled on a tail number - 756 is my "go to" choice, because it was a 439 aircraft, and I have personally sat in it and photographed it in this scheme and the Tiger scheme in 1976.

104756green2_zps722bc6a4.jpg

ALF

Great work on the recovery, Squire. One good thing about the overall green is that you can spray the bejeebers over the whole thing and then mask around the areas that need to be painted different colours (exhaust, intakes, radome, wheel wells and fiberglass panels). That's how I did my big CF-104 for a previous GB. It was really quite easy. A LOT easier than painting the small stuff first and then masking and painting the green. Specially for the gear bays and landing gear. The dark green made the aluminum of the gear and bays a little brighter. I like to work smarter, not harder which is sometimes at the expense of overall or complete accuracy.

DSC_0048.jpg

DSC_0046-1.jpg

DSC_0049.jpg

DSC_0050.jpg

DSC_0047-1.jpg

Just some food for thought buddy. Look forward to more updates.

Mike

Great work on the recovery, Squire. One good thing about the overall green is that you can spray the bejeebers over the whole thing and then mask around the areas that need to be painted different colours (exhaust, intakes, radome, wheel wells and fiberglass panels). That's how I did my big CF-104 for a previous GB. It was really quite easy. A LOT easier than painting the small stuff first and then masking and painting the green. Specially for the gear bays and landing gear. The dark green made the aluminum of the gear and bays a little brighter. I like to work smarter, not harder which is sometimes at the expense of overall or complete accuracy.

Just some food for thought buddy. Look forward to more updates.

Mike

That's exactly what I had planned. One difference - my build will not look as good as yours, with its well-preserved raised panel lines. The plan is to spray green everywhere, mask off for the tan (fibreglass) portion, then do the black radome and anti-glare panel. I will likely hand-paint the silver gear parts with Tamiya chrome silver.

ALF

Glad to see you're back at it buddy! I can't wait to see that big green rocket when it is finished.

Denis

Denis

You're definitely invited over to see it when it's done - I just can't promise it will be before you go under the knife - ouch! You may want to wait a week or two into recovery, because it probably won't be good for you to be laughing too soon afterward...

I'm happy to be back on this build as well.

ALF

Frankenbird is transforming. The combination of different shades of undercoat (black and sanded plastic), coupled with an overspray of a lighter green, have led to this interesting-looking finish. Accidental, but not bad - I'm really not very good at weathered camouflage paint jobs.

I'll let this cure a bit, then mask it for the black and tan parts. The colour of paint used is Tamiya JA Green (XF-13), which looks pretty close to the right colour to me.

P1160764_zps76ea2948.jpg

ALF

What a neat look. The Accidental Weatherer! You have created the next great trend in weathering and shading monochromatic paint jobs. No more pre-shading, post shading, panel washes, panel masking, paint lightening, paint darkening, etc. Simply vary the colours of your primers and undercoats and then apply light coats of top coat colour until you get what you need. You're turning into your own little trend setter. With your accidental weathering discovery and ALF's 'Cockpit Smell in a Bottle', you're a happening dude! Try the original formula for that new cockpit smell or our advanced formula for the well used and barfed in cockpit smell.

I like what you've done buddy. Great recovery.

Mike