Italian Marina AV-8B+ Harrier II

Finally decided on the Trumpeter Harrier II Plus as my build. I've built the Night Attack version of this kit, was pretty straightforward. This build i'll be using some aftermarket, still haven't decided on weapons loadout yet.

IMG_2492.jpg

Aftermarket i will use are from Wolfpack, SJU-4/A ejection seat, AN/AAQ-28Litening Targeting pod, AV-8B+ correct Airscoop set and possibly GBU-38 500lb bombs. Decals are from Zotz, ZTZ032/047 Harriers at Sea sheet.

IMG_2493.jpg

IMG_2494.jpg

Few pics of previous build.

IMG_2485.jpg

IMG_2486.jpg

IMG_2490.jpg

Don

I was thinking about the new scheme but the only markings I could find were for the Blacksheep color bird, I would prefer a line bird. The italian birds use a two tone scheme and very weathered. Lots of references on line showing well used birds. Almost have the loadout settled, Sidewinders, Maverick, Litening, GBU-12, GBU-38 and maybe no gun pods. Will start in tomorrow.

Don

I really enjoyed the previous build was fairly straight forward. I haven't seen any builds in Italian Marina markings so it should be unique. I have started assembling the main fuselage. The engine is supposed to go in before closing up the halves but i'm leaving it out. The exhaust nozzles are supposed to locate off the engine as well, but instead i glued the locator rings F35/37/11/12 to the inside of the fuuselage. I previously assembled the nozzles and used these to locate the rings. If they are off a bit i can either elongate the locator slots in the rings or even cut the tabs off the nozzles.

IMG_2500.jpg

IMG_2502.jpg

I will be painting the inside flat black so you can't see bare plastic. If i had installed the engine the only thing you could see is a bit of the rear fan, not a concern to me. Doing it this way leaves me with a lot of extra parts, something common with Trumpeter kits. The only things i will install inside the fuselage will be the airbrake well and the rear main gear well. The front face of the engine is supposed to be installed on the engne as well but i will install it on the rear of the front fuselage halves. This should help with slight alignment issues i had with the previous build.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Been a looonng time for updates. I've glued the fuselage halves together and glued in some reinforcing strips. Will paint this area flat black.

IMG_2503_zps2396ad73.jpg

Didn't need any fill, just a little Mr. Surfacer. For some reason, Trumpeter has an outline on the right side of the fuselage that needed to be filled. There were also sink marks on the bottom that needed to be filled with the surfacer, too.

IMG_2504_zps71899c7a.jpg

Also been doing subassemblies, will build all before starting to sand them.

IMG_2506_zpsd4ebfd57.jpg

The forward fuselage/nose assembly dryfitted looks OK til you see the bottom. There is a HUGE gap here that i have to figure out how to fill. Too bad, as the rest of the join looks good.

IMG_2507_zps14b9ce16.jpg

Should be able to spend more time at the bench so i should make more progress.

Don

Wow - that is one major gap. It looks like you have a choice - close up the gap, leaving you with a big step between the nose cone and fuselage sides (very bad), or leave it the way you have it, and fill the gap with plastic card (bad, but not so bad).

Good luck!

ALF

Wow - that is one major gap. It looks like you have a choice - close up the gap, leaving you with a big step between the nose cone and fuselage sides (very bad), or leave it the way you have it, and fill the gap with plastic card (bad, but not so bad).

Good luck!

ALF

Been a while for an update, spent a little time today. I think i'll fix the gap by filling with styrene and Mr. Surfacer, hopefully won't be too bad. Today i worked on the intakes, painting the insides white then masking and painting the front front inner intake and the fuselage around them. Easier to mask with the intakes this way, masking for the overall colors will be easier when the time comes. The suck in doors were a bit of a problem on the last build, this time i used some Evergreen .010" round stock to build a framework to help support the doors. The top three wern't a problem, just installed them according to instructions. The bottom three were installed closed, the framework helped to support them. The stock is thin enough that i could tweak the fit a bit as needed, made for a solid assembly. Tomorrow i'll do the other side then start on the pit so i can seal up the forward fuselage and work on the gap.

IMG_2508_zpsde5c08e6.jpg

IMG_2510_zps866f9c02.jpg

Don

harnose_zps9b8e59f5.jpg

I would cut out the sensor and the antenna. Then I would fill the gap and reglue those to the newly sanded fuselage bottom.

Hello Exhausted!! Yup, basically that's what I'll be doing. Going to cut off both parts, fill and smooth, then scratch build replacements. I may also try scratch building a ALQ-164 ECM pod to go on centerline. I did manage to paint the pit and seat and gloss coat everything, will start to weather it tomorrow

Don

Awesome, and just as a reference, check this video. Jump to 2:04 see the vent. You will see that the lines and paint on this jet are anything but straight and pretty. Often times the panels are filled with putty and look crooked, and new paint layers don't always match the original tint.

Reference: I hung out on them for four years ;)

Edited by Exhausted

Awesome, and just as a reference, check this video. Jump to 2:04 see the vent. You will see that the lines and paint on this jet are anything but straight and pretty. Often times the panels are filled with putty and look crooked, and new paint layers don't always match the original tint.

Reference: I hung out on them for four years ;)/>

Excellent vid!! Does show how beat they can get. I took another route to close the gap, i used a big pair of forceps to clamp the sides using the antenna. Then i applied Tenax and let dry for a few days.

IMG_2511_zps267b6345.jpg

The result is

IMG_2512_zps05a9cd71.jpg

The remaining gap should be much easier to close up using plasstic and Mr. Surfacer. What i have now is a complete subassembly of the nose that "should" attach to the main fuselage easily.

Don

Another long time between updates. Haven't had the time or desire to spend time at the bench, did do some stuff this weekend. Fixing the gap this way does seem to give good results. I filled the rest of the gap with styrene and Mr. Surfacer. Results look good so far, just need some final finishing.

IMG_2518_zpsf6ac9666.jpg

Getting the fuselage finished, i glued on the nose subassembly. The join needed a bit of work as there was a lot of mismatch here. The main problems were the suck in doors alighnment wasn't the greatest on the closed doors.

IMG_2514_zps68e93a62.jpg

To fit the wing, i added some expander bars in the fuselage opening to help close the gap between the wing bottom and the fuselage.

IMG_2515_zpsdbd8c907.jpg

IMG_2517_zpsd216c20c.jpg

Something Trumpeter should have done is include filler parts for the area under the LERX. I did my own using "0.015 sheet styrene.

IMG_2516_zps469aa135.jpg

Will have more time now so hopefully will have more time on the build.

Don

This is another must get kit. I've seen the things saying everything that's wrong but based on your last build this is an amazing kit. Looking good.

Speaking of "wrong", i was at the point that i could add the Wolfpack correct airscoop set. No big deal, cut them off the casting blocks, fit/adjust/install..... YEAH RIGHT!!! The rear scoops were OK, simply gluing them in the spot where the kit ones went. The front scoops could be fitted to outlined area provided you had a closed canopy, if you had an open canopy they would not work at the proper location. The scoops are OK, but the canopy base and canopy are the WRONG SHAPE!! no big suprise!! I don't want a closed cockpit so i reluctantly glued them in a spot close to where they should be. Comparing canopy shapes to reference pics show it should be narrower and more pointed at the end. Geez, thanks Trumpeter!!

Pic of the rear scoops. will fill the small area around the base with Mr. Surfacer.

IMG_2537_zpse4f7bca6.jpg

Pic of the front scoops with canopy open. Look "OK", but definitly off.

IMG_2536_zpscd4f2004.jpg

Pic with canopy closed. You might be able to see the outline where they should be.

IMG_2535_zpsd5a4ba2e.jpg

Nothing i can do to fix this, someone else with better skills/patience/attitude might be able to. I guess this is might be why Trumpeter didn't include them.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

My build has come to a halt. I can't seem to get paint to stay put on the fuselage, i used Tamiya primer then MM Acryl then masked and painted. Paint stayed on all but the main fuselage parts, when i pulled up tape it took the color and primer coats. Stripped/sanded/primed/colorcoat/mask...still took off paint. Had trouble with a Trumpeter A-7E a while back that couldn't be glued together, now this.

Don