Italian Marina AV-8B+ Harrier II

Yikes!

I feel for you, Don - having had my latest build in this group tank on me, I have gone through similar emotions. Not fun. Don't be discouraged! You'll figure something out.

ALF

Yikes!

I feel for you, Don - having had my latest build in this group tank on me, I have gone through similar emotions. Not fun. Don't be discouraged! You'll figure something out.

ALF

Hello ALF!! Going to step away from this one, might try soaking it in Simple green. When i had the A-7Ethat refused to be glued,someone else with the same kit and fault soaked their kit in Simple Green to leach out any contaminants and were sucessful. Think i'll either take a break or move on to something else.

Don

Jeepers, what a nightmare!

Yeah, drop it like a hot rock Don, life's too short bro'. Build something that does n't fight back and come back to this one at a (much) later date.

Cheers.

Yup!! All packed back in the box. I can deal with large gaps, fit issues, inaccuracies... but when the kit doesn't want to take paint or be glued together, sometimes there's no fighting it. Just baaaad ju ju when that happens. Going to step away from models for a bit, don't know when i'll start back.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Two weeks later and back at this build. Was going to revisit earlier but had a slight "industrial accident" involving two heavy pieces of metal and my finger with my finger losing the battle. WARNING!! gory pic. No, better not. Anyway, i looked at the build today. Tried to strip paint from it but it seems to be sticking now. Don't know if two weeks of hardening had anything to do with it, but i'll take it. The paint that was down, i followed suggestions on the Zotz sheet. Didn't like the looks of it as they looked too light. What i did was lighten different greys and sprayed until i was OK with the colors. Will continue on with the build now. One pic.

IMG_2547_zpse1d4a0d8.jpg

Don

Woot! Glad to see the paint has decided to submit.

Looking forward to seeing this continue.

Thanks for not posting the gory pic... Ouch!

ALF

Aw what the heck, why not. Two stitches, squashed a little too.

IMG_2545_1_zps48e7a239.jpg

Don

Don,

Your work in MY eyes is EXEMPLARY..

And that wound looks very painful. So they didn't staple it then...

Take care..DON you do know that it's plastic you are meant to shave off and NOT the bloody finger :taunt::monkeydance:

Aw what the heck, why not. Two stitches, squashed a little too.

IMG_2545_1_zps48e7a239.jpg

Don

Looks like a couple of drops of super glue could have fixed that up! Sorry to hear of your mishap Don. No loss of sensation I hope?

Mike

Yuk! Painful injury!

Hopefully it heals nicely, with no loss of sensation or dexterity.

Maybe you should post it in the props forum, and get some comments on the rigging wire that they used (for Wingnut Wings WW I kits), and some cautions about how the stitches will eventually stretch and sag over time... :whistle:

Looks like the medical staff has some modeling talent!

ALF

Hey guys!! Fingers healing fine, thanks for everyones concern. For the most part it doesn't interfere, but if i want to sand small parts there is some pain. What i'm doing now is just gluing subassemblies together and will clean them up later. Should be back with some updates soon.

Don

• 2 weeks later...

Another long time between updates. I've managed to put paint on almost all parts. Will still have to do detail painting on some parts, then will be able to move quickly forward. The kit drop tanks are misshaped(big suprise) so i used a pair from a Hasegawa TA-4 Skyhawk. I've bought a few A-4 Hasegawa kits for the tanks for A-7 builds and the A-6 if those tanks are wrong. I'm planning on using two Sidewinders, two AMRAAMs, two drop tanks and gunpod/ammo tank. This is more an air intercept loadout, though i think strakes instead of the gunpod would have been more appropriate.

IMG_2552_zps1b84516b.jpg

Did a bit of weathering on the build with different color greys. These birds were really grimy, will dirty it up heavily.

IMG_2553_zps0b434135.jpg

Don

Edited by dmthamade

Nice job on the panel shading. Very subtle. That should give you a very good base for the dirtying up and that should accentuate the grime quite nicely.

Good work, Don.

Mike

Yup, this is going to be a grimy bird. Finished most all of the painting this weekend, will start glosscoating everything tomorrow in prep for decals and weathering. I did paint/wash/weather the rear exhaust nozzles and the plate after them. These will also see more work with washes and MiG Pigments. Pic below is dryfitted.

IMG_2554_zpse1a385a3.jpg

IMG_2555_zps1047a168.jpg

These nozzles are the wrong shape and lack detail of the real thing. Man, this kit really has some shortcomings.

Don

Edited by dmthamade

These nozzles are the wrong shape and lack detail of the real thing. Man, this kit really has some shortcomings.

But with the great progress you're making, you are showing the world that you can polish a turd.

Keep it up, Don.

Mke

But with the great progress you're making, you are showing the world that you can polish a turd.

Keep it up, Don.

Mke

Ya know, the more i work at this kit the more issues i see with it. Anyways, i did manage to get some decals on tonight. These are Zotz decals, first time using. They go on OK but seem a little thick, they remind me of some Hasegawa or Tamiya decals. Will know tomorrow how they settle down. Still have some stencils to apply, will be doing the major ones only. The small ones.... i can barely see them, not killing myself to apply them. pics for the night.

IMG_2556_zpsf7e64084.jpg

IMG_2559_zpsdec1d6b1.jpg

IMG_2558_zps1416c947.jpg

Don

That is one large block of foam.

Model looks great too!

I've been using styrofoam blocks for a looong time as cradles while building, painting and decalling. I get these from stereo equipment, etc. I have 9-10 in various shapes and sizes. They don't damage paintwork and can be cut to suit. When i was doing a lot of Phantoms i had one block that i cut to hold the build inverted. It held it level by the vertical tail and nestled the front by the spine and tops of the intakes. To hold it right side up i had stands ( that i've lost ) to support the wings, forward fuselage and rear fuselage if needed, or just laid it across the opening in the block. Pics to show.

IMG_2560_zps0cec82f5.jpg

IMG_2561_zps87465446.jpg

IMG_2562_zps3b35a871.jpg

Don

Good technique with the styrofoam blocks. Seeing that big Phantom, I can't help but hear the theme song from the movie "Heavy Metal" running through my mind...

I feel like "taking a ride on heavy metal" right now!

ALF

Good technique with the styrofoam blocks. Seeing that big Phantom, I can't help but hear the theme song from the movie "Heavy Metal" running through my mind...

I feel like "taking a ride on heavy metal" right now!

ALF

Heavy Metal... now that brings back memories. I wonder if it's available on Blu Ray, lotsa old school Canadians in it. I've been battling the decals on this build, they've had a lot of issues with silvering. I'm at the point where i'll just go ahead with the build. I've also lost the decals for the missiles, had sheets from the Academy F-18 and F-16 and i can't find them. Couldn't have gone far as i saw them last week. Anyway i'll clearcoat this build and parts and get on with it. No pics for the night.

Did the clearcoat and a wash using Promodeller wash. Starting to look better and less toy like. I still have all the other parts to wash, weather today and tomorrow looks miserable so i will be able to spend time on the build. Few pics for the day.

IMG_2578_zps196ed184.jpg

IMG_2577_zpsc033c183.jpg

IMG_2576_zps4ba37ffe.jpg

Should have more pics tonite or tomorrow.

Don

Managed to give everything a dullcoat. Now, assembling some parts and weathering. Starting in on the exhaust, these will get a lot more weathering as will the lower rear fuselage. Two pics for the night.

IMG_2585_zps582a6ea4.jpg

IMG_2586_zps76a75955.jpg

Don