New MiG-29 sheet in the works..

I have been working on a new MiG-29 sheet for a while - it will have some interesting schemes, and will most likely be the next installment in my "Global Air Power" series of smaller, simpler sheets in both 1/48 and 1/72 scales. More details this week.

mig29promo.jpg

How about a Romanian Air Force? I would be glad to help you.

The options I have drawn are Bangladesh, Bulgaria, India and Myanmar; both single and twin-seaters (*). I don't want to increase the number of colors (and therefore the cost) any more, but Romania is possible. If the blue in the Romanian roundel is close enough to the blue of the Myanmar roundel; I will add Romania. Please e-mail me at "info AT caracalmodels.com" with references/info if you can help.

(*): Yes Virginia, photos of Myanmar Mig-29UBs do exist.

Edited by KursadA

The options I have drawn are Bangladesh, Bulgaria, India and Myanmar; both single and twin-seaters (*). I don't want to increase the number of colors (and therefore the cost) any more, but Romania is possible. If the blue in the Romanian roundel is close enough to the blue of the Myanmar roundel; I will add Romania. Please e-mail me at "info AT caracalmodels.com" with references/info if you can help.

(*): Yes Virginia, photos of Myanmar Mig-29UBs do exist.

OK I will send references/info with Romanian MiG-29A and UB.

I just added Romania to the sheet.

mig29promo2.jpg

During the service the MiG-29A and UB where never painted!

They came in Russian standard camo (same as the Bulgarian) just number 75 receive new paint job in 2001, but after he was retired for service.

Number 54 depict in the profile was the last to be received (1993) as attrition replacement after nr 47 burned on 9.9.91 and the last to fly April 2003

Here is a first draft; I will keep refining this through the next couple of days and draw accurate profiles to go with them. I can't add any new options at this point, this is the size I was targeting. The final list of options are:

-Mig-29A 9-12 "36507" , Bangladesh Air Force 2011

-Mig-29UB 9-51 "28264" , Bangladesh Air Force 2011

-Mig-29A 9-12 "KB715" , Indian Air Force 2008

-Mig-29A 9-12 "30" , Bulgarian Air Force 2010

-Mig-29UB 9-51 "14" , Bulgarian Air Force 2010

-Mig-29A 9-12 "2708" , Myanmar Air Force 2011

-Mig-29UB 9-51 "2716" , Myanmar Air Force 2011

-Mig-29A 9-12 "54" , Romanian Air Force 1996

-Mig-29UB 9-51 "23" , Romanian Air Force 1996

cd48026draft.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Wow Burmese bird as well!? awesome. I know this has no bearing on your sheet but I wonder if maybe you might know off the top of your head, are the national markings for the Bangladeshi and Burmese migs any where close to the same size as what is on both nations F-7s?

I am working on optimizing the layout of the 1/72 sheet and will be done shortly. Both the 1/48 and 1/72 sheets will be available at the same time.

I know this has no bearing on your sheet but I wonder if maybe you might know off the top of your head, are the national markings for the Bangladeshi and Burmese migs any where close to the same size as what is on both nations F-7s?

Good question - I don't know the answer though. I'm working on a sheet exactly like this one for the MiG-21F-13, and can take a look later to see if the roundels are the same size. I will definitely have these F-7 markings on a sheet if and when there is a proper F-7B (and above) kit is available though, there are some irresistible F-7 schemes out there.

It is nice that you are doing some Bulgarian MiGs. But you have to add a very important element which is neglected by all decal producers. All Bulgarian Airforce aircraft have ID triangles with two numbers in them on both sides of the aircraft. The upper number is the number of the type in the inventory and the lower one is the serial number of the aircraft. Here are some pictures which include the bort numbers you plan to produce.

tri1_zps717352d7.jpg

tri2_zps34f3147d.jpg

tri3_zps21c1653e.jpg

tri9_zps3017ddb1.jpg

tri8_zps5b6a495e.jpg

tri7_zps2c46a40b.jpg

It is nice that you are doing some Bulgarian MiGs. But you have to add a very important element which is neglected by all decal producers. All Bulgarian Airforce aircraft have ID triangles with two numbers in them on both sides of the aircraft. The upper number is the number of the type in the inventory and the lower one is the serial number of the aircraft. Here are some pictures which include the bort numbers you plan to produce.

Thanks! I saw these while doing the design work and wondered what they were. I will go ahead and add these to the sheet today; and update the pictures. I can't quite read the serial for "14" though: the first line seems to be "51" (for 9-51), but the second line is not very clear.

Edited by KursadA

Done - I will add these and rearrange the sheet once we figure out what the serial of "14" is. From the photos I have, I estimate the base of the triangle to be 250mm on the real aircraft.

bgnumber.jpg

Edited by KursadA

Done. The images above should have been updated.

Thanks for helping me improve the sheet - over only two days we've added a new country to the sheet and improved the details for another. I think this is how decal design should work.

Thanks, I will correct it in the final design.

Like the previous (North Korean/Iranian) MiG-29 sheet which will be out in 1/32 scale in February, I will scale this sheet up to 1/32 as well. It will most likely be an April release.