Hey Everyone. Thought I'd join this GB. I build almost exclusively 1/32, so this is right up my alley.

First a couple of disclaimers 70.gif

- This is my first "in progress" thread, so I'm not sure how good it will be

- This is my fist F-15 (excluding one I made as kid 15 years ago.....) I'm no Eagle expert and don't claim to be. I might even take some "artistic license" with this build.

Anyway, this build will be pretty straight forward. This is what I'll be using:

- Tamiya F-15C kit

- Old Superscale Decals (thanks Johncrow!)

- Eduard Color PE

- 2x Extra F-15C tanks (thanks again Johncrow!)

Hoping to make a decent rendition of "gulf "spirit" which is credited with a MiG-23 and 2x Su-22's during Desert Storm.

IMG_2500_zps1cdc096f.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt

Started work on the pit. Painted the tub light ghost grey. It seemed the match the PE color pretty well.

IMG_2546_zpse15fffe4.jpg

IMG_2552_zps62b42c93.jpg

IMG_2549_zps7877d818.jpg

The Eduard PE is a lifesaver, especially for a guy like me who is pretty sucky at cockpits. Is it "cheating"? Maybe. But I'm happy with it. The most labor was carefully removing the throttle and then placing it back on top of the PE. I also added a small amount of aluminum drybrushing on some corners to add some highlights.

Next up is the electronics bay, which seems pretty scary!

Very cool! I have this same kit, so I'll be watching with interest. The PE set sure does a great job on the cockpit. As far as I'm concerned, that's not cheating - that's just being smart, and using the best options for the job. Those panels look very clean and detailed, like real cockpit panels.

I am not a rivet counter, but I do have a book called "Gulf Air War Debrief", which has some pics and information about these Eagles during Desert Storm. Let me know if you have any queries; I'll flip through the book and see what I can find out.

I think the Eagle looks cool with the 3 tanks, as it was configured during the Gulf War. Will be watching this with interest!

ALF

Chugging along. I'm trying to do some of the more mundane parts of the build for me. Missiles, pylons, etc. I usually loose steam on a build right about the time I have to start arming it. Anyway. I filled some of the sink holes in the AIM9s. The sparrows looked pretty good, but I'll need to fill in a few small seams. I've also assembled the pylons. Pretty easy stuff. After weapons, thinking about tackling the oversized exhausts.

question: Anyone know off hand what the correct colors would be for the AIM7s and AIM9s? thanks!

IMG_2604_zpsb90a8cb4.jpg

IMG_2609_zps2c08960b.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt

I don't know what details that 1:32 kit includes, but in case you care (or not), the 58th TFS jets in ODS were MSIP II planes with LAU-128 missile rails.

Thanks Benner. I looks like Wolfpack does an update set. Was the MSIP II update also when they deleted the tailhook fairing between the exhaust?

Thanks Benner. I looks like Wolfpack does an update set. Was the MSIP II update also when they deleted the tailhook fairing between the exhaust?

not sure when the tailhook fairing was removed, but in this case they still had them.

My build is 1:48, but maybe it will help a bit: http://www.dstorm.eu/pages/en/other/builds/ben_f-15c.html

Chugging along. I'm trying to do some of the more mundane parts of the build for me. Missiles, pylons, etc. I usually loose steam on a build right about the time I have to start arming it. Anyway. I filled some of the sink holes in the AIM9s. The sparrows looked pretty good, but I'll need to fill in a few small seams. I've also assembled the pylons. Pretty easy stuff. After weapons, thinking about tackling the oversized exhausts.

question: Anyone know off hand what the correct colors would be for the AIM7s and AIM9s? thanks!

IMG_2604_zpsb90a8cb4.jpg

IMG_2609_zps2c08960b.jpg

The missiles would be the modern grey colour scheme.

What I use:

AIM 7 - Body FS 36375 (light ghost grey). Fins gunmetal (try Tamiya acrylic XF 53 metallic grey). Front seeker head cone white. Silver bands here and there. Live missiles have two coloured bands - here is a pic of some I've done.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/danmcw/P1010189.jpg

AIM 9 - Body and rear fins FS 36375. Front fins gunmetal. Seeker head assembly a very dark metallic green colour. Seeker head itself a translucent plastic dome (depending on the lighting, can look dark green or almost whitish). Same coloured bands as the AIM 7. Tail fins have silver and bronze stabilizing gyros at their rear tips. Hard to see in this pic.

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm175/danmcw/P1010264.jpg

ALF

Was the MSIP II update also when they deleted the tailhook fairing between the exhaust?

Hi Matt.

From Jake Melampy's Modern Eagle guide: "Very early F-15A-D models had a fairing built around the hook to reduce drag in that area. However, the fairing was removed by the early 1990s and never installed on the F-15E"

HTH

:cheers:/>

Thanks for the tips guys!

After some thought, its tough for me to shell out $40 for the Wolfpack update set. It doesn't seem like you get much for the money. Looks like I might just go with the "It looks like an F-15" for this one.

Excellent build progress, Matt. When I did one of my Beagle builds, I grabbed a pair of LAU-128 rails from the Academy Hornet. How many do you need, I can take a look around, see what I have.

Don

Sweet idea! I have a "donor" Academy kit myself, and managed to find 2 spare LAU-128s. I believe I'd need 2 more. Thanks for looking Don, its much appreciated!

Sweet idea! I have a "donor" Academy kit myself, and managed to find 2 spare LAU-128s. I believe I'd need 2 more. Thanks for looking Don, its much appreciated!

Do you still need any rails, Matt? Have two from the Academy F-16CG if you need. Let me know, PM address.

Don

Sorry for the lack of update guys. I airbrush out in my unheated garage, and between the super cold temps and lake effect snow over the last week, I haven't been all that motivated to freeze my tail off. Hoping to get some parts painted today and tomorrow while it is warmer.

This is what Lake Michigan does to us! snow snow and more snow!

Modis-Lake-Michigan_zps856a4486.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt
  • 2 weeks later...

Nice build, and +1 on the Eduard Color Zoom packs. I don't think they're cheating, as they still require a little bit of love to get to look just right, and you managed to pull it off without any problems. If it comes down to a $25 replacement cockpit, or a $7.50 PE set, I'm going PE every time, with maybe a resin seat, and I'm still well out and ahead, and the looks are phenomenal. Nice work so far.

• 2 weeks later...

Just a small update (can you sense that I'm a Slooooow builder!?)

I've started to work on the intakes. Wow, I hate intakes. As you can see I'm attempting to fix the seam at the lip because it is the most noticeable. I'm letting the putty dry then time to sand! I'm not sure how much work will be done on the horizontal seam when I glue the top half of the intake on. I suppose it depends on how I'm feeling. wink.gif

Also I found some LAU128s off of an old academy hornet I had laying around. I'm hoping to speed up this build a little bit, but I need the mojo to do that!

IMG_2706_zps2c1da5aa.jpg

IMG_2705_zps1a1b81c9.jpg

IMG_2708_zps5f77481c.jpg

IMG_2707_zps6b8645f3.jpg

Edited by mynameismatt