I guess most of us knew he had been cheating.

Funny how he confesses, or partly confesses to Ms. Oprah....

I suppose the statue of limitation on this thing must have passed and he feels safe to confess..

Phewf! Can't wait to see what his ex colleagues have to say about his confession..

<_<

Edit: typed partly wrong initially.. :coolio:

Edited by HOLMES

IFunny how he confesses, or party confesses to Ms. Oprah....

They had a party for his confession? :banana:

I suppose the statue of limitation on this thing must have passed and he feels safe to confess..

Actually, they already took his 7 victories and the money that comes with it. I'm guessing he want to get some of that money back and wants to confess instead of a long trial full of lies.

I didn't see the show (I know of Oprah only from movies and jokes).

I heard however that he was about to go on air with a confession...

Now, somebody please tell me this: how should we suppose to relate to a guy who has cheated for years and years with a straight face?

A guy with a certain medical history, who apparently inspired lots and lots of other people and also did a lot of good (I suppose) directly through his foundation?

A guy which could have been sanctioned by proper authorities (I primarily think here of those UCI people) which most likely knew what was going on but did nothing about it?

I'm glad it's over. I feel bad for all those who wanted to believe he was the real deal. I feel bad for all those honest men who couldn't get a front seat because of him. I feel bad we have regulation boards and authorities which tolerate such behavior.

They had a party for his confession? :banana:

:rolleyes:

Actually, they already took his 7 victories and the money that comes with it. I'm guessing he want to get some of that money back and wants to confess instead of a long trial full of lies.

Yes I saw that and was aware of it, but will they return any money if he gained a pecuniary advantage by deception so to speak

...I guess the trial will save the taxpayer... If not him with or without his lies.. Funny shenanigans ... :rolleyes:

Edited by HOLMES

Don't be blinded by the media... In my eyes, he is INNOCENT! But then again, as guilty as all the other proffesional bicyclists. Like it or not, all of the pro bikers use additives, such or another. Take a look at the Tour de France for example - without drugs, they couldn't be each year faster and racing with such speeds after several thousands of kilometers. It's humanly impossible without the "help". I'm sure he was doping tested during all those years and always came back clean. I don't wanna even think what else might be found in blood and urine of other winners, yet noone thinks of that. It's all just a sick farce to me (and no, I'm not his fan; I'm not even interested in road cycling - MTB runs through my veins).

Niki4703,

A person who inspires by cheating is not one that I admire ..no matter what he did..

Those people who he supposedly helped and gave to the charities must feel cheated and wished that they had never heard of Mr, Armstrong .

Things one does based on a lie is not so inspirational IMHO.

Edited by HOLMES

Don't be blinded by the media... In my eyes, he is INNOCENT! But then again, as guilty as all the other proffesional bicyclists. Like it or not, all of the pro bikers use additives, such or another. Take a look at the Tour de France for example - without drugs, they couldn't be each year faster and racing with such speeds after several thousands of kilometers. It's humanly impossible without the "help". I'm sure he was doping tested during all those years and always came back clean. I don't wanna even think what else might be found in blood and urine of other winners, yet noone thinks of that. It's all just a sick farce to me (and no, I'm not his fan; I'm not even interested in road cycling - MTB runs through my veins).

I have to agree with you. No cyclist is 'clean' in the Tour de France. But even without this, he still should have been granted only 6 victories because at one edition he (and most of the other cyclists) came in too late and should have been disqualified, but they didn't do that because than they would have to disqualify the majority of that years cyclists.

Innocent of what?

This sums up neatly everything he has done:

http://cavalierfc.tumblr.com/post/30172302298/its-not-about-the-bike

Edited by T0M4ever

and the stupids will eat it up like it is hot rock! Take it from someone who watched the "minions" down here in the theme parks....

Where is the pic I saw of the rat in the cage holding a sign that says, "In spite of my rage....."?

Funneeee!!

-Jim

The man rides a bicycle. My 9 year old rides a bicycle. I don't understand how this guy gets all the attention he gets. But like they say, any publicity is good publicity. As long as he can keep his name in the public eye, he'll be able to earn a living. It's a sad commentary on our society that a guy can lie as he swears an oath before God and Man, then tell the "truth" (?) on Oprah and people will still admire him.

And all this simply because the man rides a bicycle. Ridiculous.

Eric

So what? A little perspective.

The man rode a bycicle for a living...and made millions. But he also raised millions for people who were dying.

Tell me how he is different from players in any and every single other sport on the planet...and they often make more money than him.

I have the little yellow bracelet, and I won’t wear it anymore because of this, but that’s where this ends. Not to be associated with a liar. BUT, he’s no criminal, he never stole anyone’s money. People believed in him, and donated. He brought hope. Sure, was it all based on lies? Yes, but tell me we haven’t seen this story before with Athletes? Doctors? Politicians? Your parents, teachers, coaches, friends, divorced spouses? It WILL happen again.

The ruse is up, we all move on. Find the next person that you want to have hope in….and “hope†for the best.

As the tag under my name says, "bikerider", I am a cyclist. For the past 25 years I have dabbled in racing (if you do the math that means I started pre-Lance). I was never close to being good enough to make a National team nevermind the Tour de France, but I did win a couple races in the past. And I personally know people who have worked for Lance and Floyd Landis.

Lance's exploits have affected cycling and more in ways that are incredible. Prior to his winning his first Tour, cycling in North America was pretty low key. It was a huge sport in Europe - millions of people line the roads to watch races. But pre-Lance, it was pretty low key in the US and Canada. He changed all that with his wins. More riders took up the sport. Little kids idolized him. Sponsors and their cash followed. Races got bigger. Prizes got bigger. This was great for the sport. Cycling became a hugely popular sport in North America.

At the same time Livestrong took off. Generated lots of revenue and attention for cancer. That was good.

But it was all done on Lance's lies. It was a house of cards. Look up Livestrong financial records, and you will learn that not much of the donated money actually went to research to fight cancer. Some went to cancer support programs - honourable and good. But a large chunk of Livestrong money went - where? It's not entirely clear.

So you say all Pro cyclists doped. Maybe. Certainly in the history of the sport there are lots of cases. I would argue the same as in any sport (US track and field for example) but Lance and his team took it to extremes, controlling the doping like an organized crime gang, suing and ruining lives of anyone who dared counter him. Including many clean cyclists. Look up Christophe Bassons or Fillipo Simeoni. Look up what happened to Greg Lemond and his business because of Lance. THAT is the difference between Lance and other cheaters. He actively sought out to ruin other peoples lives. He took bullying to a new extreme. And he got massively rich doing so.

Add to that the apparent collusion with the sport organizers and administrators - they actively helped him in his lies.

What are the consequences? Well the house of cards is falling. Sponsors are running away, not just at the pro level, but at the lower, grass roots levels. Women's racing is the worst affected: several of the best women cyclists in the world - none of whom have been linked to doping - are without teams because the sponsors dropped the team, and/or the races are being cancelled. This is a direct effect of Lance's doping. There are several younger cyclists, and also those of Lance's generation, that could not even get a chance to race at the level they wanted because they chose to stay clean, and as a result could not compete. Bassons and Simeoni lost their careers as cyclists. Lemond's business lost the earning potential it once had.

Worst of all I think, we now know (but all those truly interested in cycling have known for years) that Lance's entire pro-athlete life, and hisoutside sport life was a lie. How do you explain 15 years or so of a life lived as a lie to the young kid who got into cycling because of Lance? How do you justify to the cancer patient that Livestrong was a foundation built on lies? you can't I think.

Personally, I have been affected. Non-cycling friends and co-workers have asked me where to buy EPO. Because I was a racing cyclist, they automatically assumed I used and could get EPO, that I was a cheater. Thanks Lance.

I love bike racing. It's a hard sport that takes place on beautiful roads around the world. I hate the corruption and lies that Lance and his cronies believed was normal and used to line their pockets with tens of millions of dollars while clean honest athletes struggled and often gave up because they knew without cheating they would not succeed.

Lance's legacy is nothing but negative. It is going to take years to get rid of it. Good riddance to him.

Tour de France is full of doping, just like Major League Baseball was full of HGH during the steroids era. Most of the big names did it in MLB and most of the big names are doing it in Tour de France. Anybody who thinks it was just the ugly American who was winning all the time is fooling themselves. They all were doing it. Armstrong's major mistake was getting caught, just like Mark McGuire, Barry Bonds, Roger Clemens etc.

The biggest disappointment in this whole Armstrong fiasco is not the fact he doped, but the fact he presented himself the way he did and then lied and gave hope to millions with his whole cancer foundation etc. Now, millions who believed in him and his miraculous recovery and the great story of him beating cancer to win again are left with a hollow shell of a story. I'm sure they feel betrayed. One wonders if he had not doped if he would have been able to win.

You know, it's great what he did with his charity work. I hope his Livestrong Foundation is able to keep doing whatever they have to try to help defeat cancer, but in the back of my mind I have doubts about them being able to be successful with the stigma attached to the doping scandal.

Running to Oprah to get paid probably hundreds of thousands of dollars to tell everyone what they already knew, and then apparently not really coming out and telling them, just proves that Lance truly has no balls left.

May he disappear into the ether of mediocrity forever.

Good riddance.

BUT, he’s no criminal, he never stole anyone’s money.

He cheated so he could win and recieve money. If he didn't cheat, he wouldn't have won and someone else would have gotten the money.

Now, tell me how this is not stealing?

dope.jpg

Chart with convicted dopers.

In order to reach the spotlights of public consciousnesses sports must constantly break records.

Steriods rescued baseball after it failed to recover from the 1990s strike by juiced players getting into a homerun derby. Everyone knew they were doing PEDs but the money was flowing again so only after baseball got on its feet did people suddenly say "hey you cheated bad man!!... but thanks for the money!"

all of the hall of fame level players of that era should be removed from consideration from the baseball hall of fame, however MLB should pay them the profits they generated to get baseball back to relevancy. funny how with that caveat in there MLB would never go along with keeping them out of the hall of fame! If these guys are so tarnished and hurt the sport so bad, I don't know people want to hang onto that "dirty money"

of course they used steriods-- unless they are like all the people I know who are past their 30's and only getting older and then suddenly get better, faster, stronger. :rolleyes:/>

How many Americans paid attention to the tour de france before lance? How much did companies profit when "weekend warriors" bought their little condom suits and expensive bicycles because they were "inspired"?

These guys only get questioned when the money spigot is turned off, and lance managed to outfox a lot of people for a very long time. people in authority don't like being outfoxed.

Edited by TaiidanTomcat

Niki4703,

A person who inspires by cheating is not one that I admire ..no matter what he did..

Those people who he supposedly helped and gave to the charities must feel cheated and wished that they had never heard of Mr, Armstrong .

Things one does based on a lie is not so inspirational IMHO.

Holmes,

I used past tense mentioning the inspirational part. That is when (most) people didn't know/ didn't accept the cheating story.

I don't expect anybody to be inspired (present tense) by a cheater. But then again..., the world is what it is :(

They only need to drop the 'V' to get

LIE Strong

Sad, true and still... :D

Edited by niki4703