Boeing 787-8 Japan Airlines - COMPLETED

Just made a start on this one... an aircraft which has been in the news a lot recently.

As expected from a new tool Hasegawa kit, the parts should fit very well. But there was a small issue with the wings straightaway... I had to thin the lower wing pieces to avoid a step when attached to the top halves. The leading edges fit perfectly though.

024_zps0d2a1f1f.jpg

Dennis

(in Hong Kong)

Edited by LHRHKG

Some progress... the fit is very good and only a small amount of Mr Hobby liquid surfacer is needed to fill fuselage joints.

As for the size, the fuselage is (almost) the same length as a 767-300 but the wings on the 787 are BIG! Have placed a 1/200 767 wing for comparison

IMG_0031_zps46e56a13.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dennis

(in Hong Kong)

• 3 weeks later...

Finally made some progress... after priming with Mr. Surfacer and Mr. Base White, I sprayed a few coats of Tamiya flat white, which gave a nice smooth finish. This is something I have always wanted to try, rather than using gloss white.

The 787 is now masked for spraying the leading edges and APU exhaust in silver. Then I will use Johnsons Klear as gloss coat ready for decals.

003_zpsee1e32bf.jpg

Dennis

(in Hong Kong)

Yes... it's a lot of masking tape but I had a nasty experience with Tamiya tape lifting the silver paint after masking the leading edges, even after a long period of drying time.

The 787 has now been gloss coated and some of the decals are on. The thin black walkways on the wings were a little difficult to apply. The other decals went on with few problems.

001_zps9509dda4.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dennis

(in Hong Kong)

Most of the decals are on and the fuselage has been clear coated. The landing gears have been assembled and I am working on the engines.

Managed to keep the model relatively clean - not easy with an all-white aircraft.

IMG_0035_zpsf9c6bc05.jpg

IMG_0036_zps0ff7f332.jpg

Thanks for looking

Dennis

(in Hong Kong)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Im sure his will be in the air again soon, just like the real fleet. FAA has approved the fix Boeing proposed for the dreamliner.

as of a few hours ago the FAA has approved the fix and they should be back in the air next month.

great model by the way. I hope my 787 come out as great as yours did.