Scratch-built 1/32 B-17G Fortress

Hi - I'm currently building a 1/32 B-17G based on the combat models 1/32 vacform 'kit' - essentially just a shell - two fuselage halves. I'm scratchbuilding everything else. I'm about 10 months / 600 hours in so far - I've got build threads on a couple of other websites but they are over 20 pages long. Therefore I'll just post a few pics here as it would take forever to transcribe the whole thing - that way I won't overwhelm you with info lol

I plan to do a crashed Fort fuselage, being recovered somewhere in England (or maybe occupied France) - on a 40 foot trailer (also scratched / converted from the Tamiya 1/35 Dragon Wagon kit) pulled by an Accurate Armour 1/35 Diamond T 969 wrecker.

Inspiration:

reo11.jpg

basic kit:

IMG_1895.jpg

chin turret takes shape:

IMG_1969.jpg

ball turret construction:

IMG_2008.jpg

IMG_2028.jpg

IMG_2033.jpg

IMG_2068.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2173.jpg

IMG_2208.jpg

Wow!!

The unpainted radio room looks like something from the "Alien" movies...Great detail!!

It's almost a shame this will be a 'wreck' , when completed, but what a great Idea!

I'll be watching for more posts...

-Rob

thanks a lot guys!

phoinix - about 600 hours so far - I started in March last year

here's some more pics - the ones above show the first 6 months or so of build time - I've got several hundred pics, trying to compress them into one post!

this is the mount for the top turret:

IMG_3041.jpg

painted up:

IMG_3053.jpg

IMG_3083.jpg

IMG_3085.jpg

glass is shattered on top turret:

IMG_3087.jpg

IMG_3089.jpg

making the required hole for the top turret - note that there will be another 'battle damage' hole just behind the cockpit:

IMG_3046.jpg

radio room gets a lick of paint:

IMG_3091.jpg

IMG_3092.jpg

starting to add some detail to the rear fuselage:

IMG_3312.jpg

cockpit area gets some bits attatched & a lick of paint - plenty more still to do!!

IMG_3315.jpg

IMG_3305.jpg

IMG_3302.jpg

IMG_3300.jpg

test fit of roof and top turret:

IMG_3310.jpg

waist gun ammo boxes - plasticard covered in mahogany veneer:

IMG_3557.jpg

waist guns - Aires resin bodies, Master brass barrels & scratch-built cradles:

IMG_3541.jpg

IMG_3665.jpg

IMG_3545.jpg

auxiliary generator - found in rear fuselage opposite crew entrance hatch:

IMG_3575.jpg

chemical toilet!!!

IMG_3580.jpg

it was necessary to add some of the rear bulkheads - visible through the open crew hatch...and that bloody big battle damage hole in the fuselage:

IMG_3584.jpg

IMG_3587.jpg

added some roof detail for the same reasons...

IMG_3588.jpg

internal ribbing under a coat of primer:

IMG_3661.jpg

trailing antenna reel assembly (located just behind the ball turret on the fuselage floor)

IMG_3589.jpg

I wanted to replicate this:

wartime1.png

and this:

B-17taildamage.png

so I made a start and chopped out a section of tail:

IMG_3695.jpg

the entire model will be 'skinned' with pewter sheet - so I will have fun replicating all that tortured metal at a later date!

thanks Jim - I'm having fun doing it !

am building the wrecker that will tow the load concurrently but I won't bore you with that at the moment. It's a beautiful kit though - here's what it'll look like unpainted:

K128Sa.jpg

Also received the Tamiya Dragon Wagon in the mail today! Should be a nice challenge to convert that into an army air force 40 foot flatbed :monkeydance:/>

here's the rear fuselage with some basic paint applied:

IMG_3672.jpg

IMG_3678.jpg

note entry hole for whatever projectile blew out the opposite fuselage - 88 shell perhaps?

IMG_3680.jpg

IMG_3687.jpg

IMG_3693.jpg

IMG_3690.jpg

IMG_3686.jpg

added some battle debris - an abandoned flak helmet (made from an Italeri spare, scratched liner & ear flaps), 0.50 cal casings and links from Mission Models, and the remains of one of the waist gun ammo boxes from scraps of mahogany veneer... shell collection bags under the waist guns are tight-weave fabric from the offcuts bin at my local curtain repair shop.

IMG_3807.jpg

IMG_3805.jpg

IMG_3806.jpg

IMG_3871.jpg

ball turret test fitted - minus mounting pole & oxygen bottle:

IMG_3873.jpg

IMG_3881.jpg

these are the Mission Models 0.50 cal shells - ultra realistic, I love them!

IMG_3811.jpg

some abandoned Verlinden maps for the radio room:

IMG_3821.jpg

view through forward crew access hatch - rudimentary detail was added as some of it will be visible - if you peer hard enough with a torch that is:

IMG_3822.jpg

mounts for waist guns:

IMG_3863.jpg

all painted up:

IMG_3877.jpg

they attach like this - plexiglass windows will be scratched & made to fit around them:

IMG_3880.jpg

AND THAT'S ABOUT IT FOR NOW

The above pictures represent where I'm up to now...in fact I'm slightly ahead having just joined the fuselage halves together. Another update to follow in a couple of weeks' time hopefully.

I hope you like the build & I welcome andy questions and / or comments

bye for now!

Edited by richdlc

I welcome andy questions and / or comments

Damn, my name isn't Andy.

But all kidding aside, this build s just too much to take in. The level of detail and the ingenuity is just amazing. take that bandaid for instance. I would have never even thought of that.

Keep up the good work.

hi guys

thanks for the kind words! Glad it passes muster, especially with you Americans - I know there's a lot of experts on the other side of the pond so I hope I've got it right. Having said that, there's plenty of margin for 'interpretive' modelling - period photos of the interior of the plane are relatively scarce, whereas restored aircraft are ten a penny - there are literally thousands of images available. A lot of mine come from the warbird information exchange forums - for example someone recently posted up a photo documentary of the entire restoration & reconstruction of the B-17 'Mary Alice' at Duxford UK - so there's plenty of scope for superdetailing, and a lot of what's added is a kind of amalgamation of what I've seen in dozens of different aircraft. I'm also a member of the 'Sally B' preservation society, which gives me free licence to clamber all over it at airshows. :thumbsup:

Anyway I'm pleased you like it....and thanks to whoever mentioned the used field dressing - I just realised that dried blood is actually a browny copper colour, not red, so I'll have to change that. :rolleyes:

Wow, Wow, & Wow!

Incredible scratch building. :jaw-dropping:/>

BTW, where did you find the Mission 50 cal. bullets? Chuck540z3 was looking for some for his P-51D build.

cheers bud! I got a job lot in the last Squadron sale - i knew they were hard to find so I got a dozen packs

I used the bullets & links in my last project (F4U-4 Corsair) - quite possibly the most time consuming thing ever, but totally worth it:

910-191.jpg