1/35th Small Emplacement Excavator (SEE)

Here’s another project I’m working on for the upcoming AMPS show in Atlanta this April. This is made from evergreen plastic and is in 1/35th. It’s a SEE (Small Emplacement Excavator). For reference I did an extensive internet search for pics and data. Before I began I needed to know the tires size. I found that they were 12.5 R20 LPR on 11.00-20 rims. Looking over my modern kits I found the M1078 had the same size tires, but the pattern was of somewhat, something I could live with.

This is a small vehicle with a ground clearance of 17in. and a wheel base of 96in.

The SEE is based on the Unimog FLU-419. It saw service in Gulf War, Bosnia, Operation Desert Storm, Iraq and Afghanistan.

Jason West jwest21 helped out by giving me a set of tires he had left over from his M1078, Thanks Jason!

100_8290-vi.jpg

100_8291-vi.jpg

100_8281-vi.jpg

100_8283-vi.jpg

100_8285-vi.jpg

100_8287-vi.jpg

100_8293-vi.jpg

100_8294-vi.jpg

More to come.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Did you scratch build the cab too? it looks like an older version than the Revell kit.

I always wanted to build the Tamiya Unimog (toy) as it actually has an accurate shape to it.

Curt

Did you scratch build the cab too? it looks like an older version than the Revell kit.

I always wanted to build the Tamiya Unimog (toy) as it actually has an accurate shape to it.

Curt

Yes Curt I scaratched the cab out of evergreen platic, as with everything else.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

• 2 weeks later...

My latest update, well I’m starting to see the finish line. A few little odds and ends left to do and then finish painting. What paint you see will make it easier to get at before the sub sections are glued on.

002-vi.jpg

003-vi.jpg

5-vi.jpg

005-vi.jpg

006-vi.jpg

This photo is just a dry mock up

007-vi.jpg

I’m hoping to have this finished by the weekend.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Just kidding…well most time I have friends who work in or around engineer vehicles. I give them a call and help is on the way. Now for this (SEE) project Im working on I had no help. Here's what I did,

Knowing the tire size and how tall it is, I convert it into 1/35th. Then getting straight on profile shots I print them to scale (close enough) to the tire size; example tire is 3ft. 11 inches converted to 34mm. print profile shot to match 34mm and then its just going on from there…if it makes sense.

Happy Modeling,

Joe

Edited by Helo_Dud

Sorry for the late progress postings. Here are the latest photos. I painted on the base color of Tamiya's NATO green and Field Green mixed 50/50.

Door Handles

yyyyy-vi.jpg

Made it easier for myself, using colored pencils to fill in the NATO colors on printed photos I found on the internet.

z-vi.jpg

zz-vi.jpg

yy-vi.jpg

y-vi.jpg

xxx-vi.jpg

xx-vi.jpg

x-vi.jpg

Happy Modeling,

Joe

It's getting closer to the finish, applied the last of the NATO colors yesterday and will do so weathering.

Mind you this is only mocked up. I still need to connect the hoses and spot lights, weather and add unit markings followed by any paint touch ups.

I'm still looking for plain 6 hole rims in 1/35th.

a-vi.jpg

aa-vi.jpg

aaa-vi.jpg

aaaa-vi.jpg

Happy Modeling,

Joe