Hi guys,

Good day!

I have the Trumpy Mi-8 1/35 scale kit.

Im planning to do some scratching for the missile pylons.

Id like to ask if the pylons are battelfield modifications (meaning no fixed soviet design) or if they are factory installed?

Thanks fellows!

Cheers!

Iking

The question is a bit vague. Is this about the two outriggers on both sides of the Mi-8? They are standard units supplied with the helicopter. Most Mi-8's had the outriggers with just two pylons but the TB modification had the one with three pylons almost same as the one on the Mi-17. But the TB was a very different gunship from all previous Mi-8's.

Best regards

Gabor

There is a resin weapons/pylons set available from an ebay seller in Russia , I will have to dig up his name.

Search this forum, the user 11Bee used his set on his armed Hip build and it looks great.

mine is still in the box and aside from one miscast support rod (the rods are cast with a brass wire inside for strength) my set looks great too.

try searching ebay for 1/35th Hip + resin or somesuch, it ought to turn up.

Mike

There is a resin weapons/pylons set available from an ebay seller in Russia , I will have to dig up his name.

Search this forum, the user 11Bee used his set on his armed Hip build and it looks great.

mine is still in the box and aside from one miscast support rod (the rods are cast with a brass wire inside for strength) my set looks great too.

try searching ebay for 1/35th Hip + resin or somesuch, it ought to turn up.

Mike

Thanks Mike!!

I used the Ruporator set, great service, very happy with them. Here is the finished product:

IMG_4235.jpg

It comes with all six rocket pods, I only went with a couple on my Hip. I did add a lot of small bits to these assemblies, if you want to know all the details, the build is posted here:

http://s362974870.onlinehome.us/forums/air/index.php?showtopic=217222&st=240

Edited by 11bee

The side racks are not field modifications on the TV3-117 engine equipped Mi-8MT or MTV (the same as Mi-17) but are sold as part of the full size helicopter. There were some field modification or to be more precise it was just the use of the equipment in accordance with the needs and the given combat situation. The weight of the racks was too much on the early Mi-8's (the ones with the TV2-117 engine) especially in high altitude operations like in Afganistan, so often they were not carried. It is fairly easy to take them off.

The same went for the Mi-17 operations, often to give extra lift power some of the pylons (they are not missile pods or rails) were left off. Look at Afgan photos and you will see many cases where the outer pylon is not carried from the original three, you have the two main support beams sticking out or even have the complete assembly left off to save weight.

Good luck with your build!

Best regards

Gabor

The side racks are not field modifications on the TV3-117 engine equipped Mi-8MT or MTV (the same as Mi-17) but are sold as part of the full size helicopter. There were some field modification or to be more precise it was just the use of the equipment in accordance with the needs and the given combat situation. The weight of the racks was too much on the early Mi-8's (the ones with the TV2-117 engine) especially in high altitude operations like in Afganistan, so often they were not carried. It is fairly easy to take them off.

The same went for the Mi-17 operations, often to give extra lift power some of the pylons (they are not missile pods or rails) were left off. Look at Afgan photos and you will see many cases where the outer pylon is not carried from the original three, you have the two main support beams sticking out or even have the complete assembly left off to save weight.

Good luck with your build!

Best regards

Gabor

As far as missiles go, didn't one version of the armed Hip also have racks for early generator anti-tank missiles on the end of these pylons? Maybe Sagger ATGMs? I think I read somewhere that with everything mounted, this variant was the most heavily armed helo in the world (assuming it could get off the ground)!

As far as missiles go, didn't one version of the armed Hip also have racks for early generator anti-tank missiles on the end of these pylons? Maybe Sagger ATGMs? I think I read somewhere that with everything mounted, this variant was the most heavily armed helo in the world (assuming it could get off the ground)!

Yes, that was the Mi-8TB with a gun in the undernose bay (in a different position from the one in the Mi-17)a big set of pylon racks which did have on the top the rails for the guided missiles, but it had also a lot of armour in the cockpit, around the engines . . .

Yes, it was not an easy heli to get of the ground. The Russians and the GDR AF had many of them.

Best regards

Gabor