Canada Puts "Wrong" Maple Leaf on C$20 Bill!

The wingnut that brought this "problem" up is in the same gang that is unhappy about the fact that if you cook these bills at extreme high temps in an oven they will melt, and has imagined a few other "problems" with this new money.

I like the new bills. We've finally caught up to Australia; they've had polymer bills for several years. They are more secure and more durable - what's not to like?

I baptize these wingnuts "leaf vein counters" (kind of like rivet counters).

ALF

Any chance they will change it and make these early bills collectable?

..... I was just thinking exactly that ..normally when a mistake is made they would normally stop any future printing and recall any or all those that were not used ..for instance from banks... If a major mistake was made..

So yes they would become sort of collectibles and as one who collects coins , notes silver and gold coins etc, I wish I had one of each the 20, and the 100 Canadian dollar bill for MY collection..{ when the British PENNY BLACK stamp was printed there was a flaw and some that were in people's possession and which had not been used on any postal letters, became very valuable and those that were left unsold when it was discovered to have a flaw , they were immediately returned }..PENNY BLACK with the flaw was sold for millions many years back...to a collector.. :whistle:/>

Just thinking out loud..how on Earth did they get it wrong AFTER MANY YEARS of printing the currency.

If you have any , keep them in pristine condition...in years you will be glad!! :wave:/> :yahoo:/>

Edited by HOLMES

The Government says that they didn't in fact get it wrong - they consulted with actual Maple Leaf experts, and the leaf on the bill is a stylized amalgam of aspects of several typical Canadian leaves. Apparently, the design was deliberate, and not at all intended to be an actual depiction of a real leaf.

So before I ruin everyone's day and predict that they will not become collector's items, can I offer you a batch of pristine examples of these bills, for the low collector's price of $40 each? :rolleyes:

ALF

Blimey, what a fuss over nothing. I remember when the first of the current £2 coins came out, the design included a looped gear train on the back with an odd number of gears - which would have locked tight if anyone had tried running it. Yet we quickly realised that it's not a real machine and have been happily spending the things ever since.

I guess that 'Leaf' expert is going to have to sell his stash of bills for 20 bucks apiece???

Who becomes a Leaf expert anyway???? Do you grow up wishing to be one??? Was he beat up as a kid??? While the other kids are playing street hockey or cops & robbers or cowboys & aborigines , was he pressing leaves in a book? Gee dad lets go to the Arboretum after school.????

Just my 5 cents (as we no longer produce the penny we have to round up).

Emil

HA! This is all very funny. Last night I was at a friends for dinner where one of the other guests was a woman who worked at the Bank of Canada and was part of the team that designed the new bill. She said the "dendrologist" they hired came up with the "conceptual design" of the maple leaf and was quite content that it "represented" the maple leafs of Canada. Design by committee though - there was a team of people that reviewed and approved the design, right up to the highest management levels. Which if anyone knows typical government offices work means the senior managers know nothing about leaves, design or managing and just want to impress their bosses :-S

I guess that 'Leaf' expert is going to have to sell his stash of bills for 20 bucks apiece???

Who becomes a Leaf expert anyway???? Do you grow up wishing to be one??? Was he beat up as a kid??? While the other kids are playing street hockey or cops & robbers or cowboys & aborigines , was he pressing leaves in a book? Gee dad lets go to the Arboretum after school.????

Just my 5 cents (as we no longer produce the penny we have to round up).

Emil

Actually, Emil, your 2 cents worth is soon (in the absence of the 5 cent coin) going to be worth: ZERO cents! :woot.gif:

Amounts of 1 or 2 cents become 0; amounts of 3 or 4 cents become 5.

That doesn't mean I don't value your opinion - but we will have to update our sayings, I guess. In for a penny, in for a pound... oops... no longer valid... give them and inch, they'll take a mile... Doh! Not valid either!

Wait - I think there's a leaf expert waiting to enlighten me. Oh no - it's just Don Cherry. I'm sure he has an opinion on the $20 bill.

ALF

That doesn't mean I don't value your opinion - but we will have to update our sayings, I guess. In for a penny, in for a pound... oops... no longer valid... give them and inch, they'll take a mile... Doh! Not valid either!

A gram of prevention is worth a kilogram of cure doesn't quite cut it either. And what about those old bikes with the large front wheel, the penny farthing? At least we still have, 'A day late and a dollar short.'

Actually, Emil, your 2 cents worth is soon (in the absence of the 5 cent coin) going to be worth: ZERO cents! :woot.gif:/>

Amounts of 1 or 2 cents become 0; amounts of 3 or 4 cents become 5.

Wait - I think there's a leaf expert waiting to enlighten me. Oh no - it's just Don Cherry. I'm sure he has an opinion on the $20 bill.

ALF

I'm going to keep a stash of them Maple Leaf Pennies and sell them to the expert..... for $20 each... Yeah.... :woot.gif: