F4E Phantom 1/32 Revell "Kurnass 2000"

All right, let's go to the kit.

DSC03459.jpg

DSC03460.jpg

This kit is a new tooling from the 90's, who replaced the old Revell 1/32 kit. That old kit was a bad kit, with raised detail lines. This new have recessed panel lines, and is a lot more detailed. My kit was from a special edition, with some aftermarkets in the box. It was already started, but in a few parts. Then I disassembled the job that was made. So I will start from the very beginning. I will add some more aftermarket itens to improve the kit quality.

That's the sprues:

DSC03464.jpg

DSC03465.jpg

DSC03466.jpg

DSC03467.jpg

DSC03468.jpg

DSC03469.jpg

Here, the loose parts:

DSC03462.jpg

And here, the parts that are already assembled:

DSC03461.jpg

The True Details bulged resin wheels, who come with the kit:

DSC03470.jpg

The seats, from TAC:

DSC03474.jpg

The PE, Still from the kit box:

DSC03473.jpg

Now the sets that I've Buyed:

DSC03603.jpg

We have this excellent cockpit set from Avionix:

DSC03604.jpg

Then the landing gear and Pitot in white metal:

DSC03605.jpg

And this enormous Big Ed set, from Eduard:

DSC03607.jpg

DSC03606.jpg

I hope that I could made a plane like these:

_IGP4950.jpg

_IGP4975.jpg

_IGP4978.jpg

So ther was my project. Soon we will have updates.

So, let's get start.

As usually, we will start by the cockpit.

In a first look, I noticed that the Big-ED and the resin cockpit was made to the Tamiya F4-J. So I decided to use the original cockpit with the PEs who come with the kit.

I painted the PE parts and the cockpit with black paint(automotive) to allows me to create a better paint job. The idea is to paint the grey in acrylics, and then remove the grey over the panels, without removing the black. But the black paint get off with I tried to remove the grey...

The black paint:

DSC03834.jpg

DSC03835.jpg

DSC03837.jpg

then the grey:

DSC03843.jpg

DSC03844.jpg

Here the original panels sanded to fit the PE parts:

DSC03845.jpg

At that point I decided to use the Resin and Big-ED parts, although that was created for version J. With some research, I discovered that the differences between models are small.

These are the resins painted:

DSC03919.jpg

DSC03920.jpg

DSC03921.jpg

DSC03922.jpg

DSC03923.jpg

DSC03924.jpg

But, when I removed the liquid mask, the black paint peeled again. I washed the pieces, and repainted with the black paint. So by tis time, I masked the panels with Silly Putty. At this time, with a some retouching, The painting job satisfacted me. Then I made the details in grey and the buttons in grey, white and tred, all with a brush. This was the results, still without wheatering:

DSC03925.jpg

DSC03926.jpg

DSC03927.jpg

Here a Dryfit:

DSC03903.jpg

Soon, the updates....

Hi there.

I just finished that very kit although I did mine in IIAF markings.

You should do yourself a favour and invest in the resin nose replacement ( http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32034.htm ) The kit nose is not symmetrical and is a bit lopsided. I'm not a big Phantom expert and I didn't think it would be a big deal, until I tried to use it and found it very distracting.

thanks

David

Wow - I'm sure all the extra work will pay off in excellent results. I'll keep watching.

Thanks!

Hi there.

I just finished that very kit although I did mine in IIAF markings.

You should do yourself a favour and invest in the resin nose replacement ( http://store.spruebrothers.com/product_p/ams32034.htm ) The kit nose is not symmetrical and is a bit lopsided. I'm not a big Phantom expert and I didn't think it would be a big deal, until I tried to use it and found it very distracting.

thanks

David

I will search for this, as in Spruebrothers the resin nose is out of stock. Thanks for the advice!

• 2 months later...