American's new livery

Me? as a pilot for AMR, I hate it. Too far removed from a near 80 year old symbolic icon... A's and an Eagle is the way to go, even if they're given a futuristic face-lift.

http://aviationblog.dallasnews.com/2013/01/american-airlines-airplane-with-new-paint-job-flies-to-dallasfort-worth-international-airport.html/

Tracy

Funny thing ME as a QA inspector for American only like it because it covers all the ramp rash and lightning strike damage. Can't wait to see the Skydrol does to the tail decals when the Rudder Power Control Units start leaking.

David

Looks really good.Stylised flag is effective.Skydrol eats just about anything anyway!Would the change from natural metal have anything to do with the "plastic" (media description)787 not being able to show one (NMF)off

It's just more tacky simplistic dumbed-down bland focus group garbage designed by talentless hacks who learned the nuances of graphic design from an instruction manual at whatever third-rate community college they got their piece of paper from ("I'm primarily a web designer, of course"). Either that or they sourced it from drawings made in the ranks of the 13-year old armchair captains on airliners.net who have equally bland tastes. I'm sure it will be a hit with the kind of hipster pubic monkeys that think 'leverage' is a verb and are obsessed with the words 'fresh' and 'reboot.'

Since the average person has about the same eye for artistic ability as a can of ginger ale, I suppose it will be a hit, justifying the millions of dollars no doubt put into designing a livery that is really nothing more than a template with the word 'EXAMPLE' replaced with 'American.'

Pure kitsch in its absolute worst form. I guess it will help them blend in with the crowd, since there's really nothing to differentiate it from the other new liveries designed in the last fifteen years or so. This will look dated in next to no time, just as tons of gated reverb dated the garbage produced by the record labels in the '80s. It doesn't matter anyway; air travel in and of itself is so bland and tasteless in this day and age that you may just as well walk.

Edited by angry_android

It's just more tacky simplistic dumbed-down bland focus group garbage designed by talentless hacks who learned the nuances of graphic design from an instruction manual at whatever third-rate community college they got their piece of paper from ("I'm primarily a web designer, of course"). Either that or they sourced it from drawings made in the ranks of the 13-year old armchair captains on airliners.net who have equally bland tastes. I'm sure it will be a hit with the kind of hipster pubic monkeys that think 'leverage' is a verb and are obsessed with the words 'fresh' and 'reboot.'

Since the average person has about the same eye for artistic ability as a can of ginger ale, I suppose it will be a hit, justifying the millions of dollars no doubt put into designing a livery that is really nothing more than a template with the word 'EXAMPLE' replaced with 'American.'

Pure kitsch in its absolute worst form. I guess it will help them blend in with the crowd, since there's really nothing to differentiate it from the other new liveries designed in the last fifteen years or so. This will look dated in next to no time, just as tons of gated reverb dated the garbage produced by the record labels in the '80s. It doesn't matter anyway; air travel in and of itself is so bland and tasteless in this day and age that you may just as well walk.

So, I'm not quite sure if you like it or not...

Good post and some well observed points.

I personally don't like it; just too much like the type of schemes you see when a new start up airline leases a couple of stored aircraft and is desperate to apply its logo but can't afford a complete repaint just yet. Like they replaced the previous operators name with a large self adhesive vinyl banner.

In fact, when I first saw it, I was reminded for a few seconds of Aeroflots livery on their A310s like this Aeroflot A310 .

AA could have done better. Just my thoughts.

Jeff

Atleast they didnt replace 'example' with 'AA.COM'

But from a modelling standpoint it looks like the whole plane is boeing grey!?!

Edited by Living Legend

Ah, don't sugarcoat it....... Tell us what you really think!

Come on, you guys, chill out. It's just a livery...

I even kinda like it, it's just different from something we've been used to after so many years. We'll get used to this new one too.

Anyways, like it or not, relax.

;)

Regards

Eduardo

Come on, you guys, chill out. It's just a livery...

I even kinda like it, it's just different from something we've been used to after so many years. We'll get used to this new one too.

Anyways, like it or not, relax.

;)/>

Regards

Eduardo

Spot on Eduardo :rolleyes: Its just a livery

Personally I don't like it yet. I don't know if it will change, but I really liked the previous one. I think the biggest mistake is the tail. I got the point of the flag, but somehow the AA and the eagle worked better for me...

So I still vote for this:

320x227_B737-001.jpg

and even this:

320x227_B737-002.jpg

I think the previous was still looking conservative and classic. This is maybe a little too "trendy", but I got the point that they want to communicate the changes with this. We'll see. So far I've met with very mixed emotions.

Greetings, neu

The new livery looks like the world's largest diet Pepsi can. An airline can not exit bankruptcy without changing its livery.

I saw the "Astrojet" in DFW as we were taxiing in, it was departing. The airplane looked pretty weathered. It is in need of a good polish. The captain comment on how he liked the look of that airplane over the new livery. I wondered to myself if AA would retain the Astrojet paint scheme. I hope they do, but the airplane is looking pretty beat.

The more I see the new livery, the more it grows on me. I still think it is too similar to British Airways. All part of the plot to go metal neutral as part of One World. The one thing it does do, the new paint scheme makes the BMF RWB paint scheme look dated. That livery is over 40 years old. In that time United had had five different paint schemes.

Edited by okthree

So far, every pilot I've talked to hates it. FA's are about 50/50. It's all ready on our computer screens in the crew rooms. All day, you hear sighs as crew members walk into the room. There were some very nice alternatives that got thrown out that keep the AA-n-Eagle.

I do like the way American is on the tube.. just the tail livery is crap. I agree, its too British Airways, and in other ways, Greyhound Bus.

Tracy

Am i a bad person if i agree with this. That flag on the tail really doesn't work. The overall color of the fuselage is good, but the artwork could have been better.

Am i a bad person if i agree with this. That flag on the tail really doesn't work. The overall color of the fuselage is good, but the artwork could have been better.

No, you're not a bad person if you hate it with all your guts! Not at all, that's not the point!

Just don't take it too serious.

:woot.gif:

:thumbsup:

I understand your desire for us all to "chill out", but we're all entitled to express our views on a subject. It may only be a livery to you, however in this truly global environment in which we all live, it represents the image of a major airline - for which several members on here work. If they feel that the chosen livery is not particularly attractive or that better (their opinions...) options were dismissed then surely they should be allowed to talk about it with other people who share their interest.

Or should we all just write: "for fear of showing any emotion that may harm/offend/upset/disagree with another persons views/opinions/feelings I will say nothing" - perhaps sometimes that is the best option, but on this forum it's not really appropriate.

Edited by Pinky coffeeboat

Chill out? I haven't seen anyone in here go off the deep end to justify that remark either. As far as taking it too seriously, just because I posted it here, doesn't mean I'm up-n-arms about it and hell bent to have it changed. I just don't like it and I won't put it on a model. I'm a serious AstroJet fanboy. :coolio:

Tracy

Edited by Vidar 710

Some of us at Delta feel for you at American. We had the classic, black nosed "Widget" that everyone liked - and most would like to go back to. Then came change for changes sake, and much disliked CEO Ron Allen personally changed it to the red "Clown Nose". Later it was the beach towel "Deltaflot", and now the less than inspiring "Citgo" logo. As less than stellar CEO Leo Mullin said many years ago; "it's just paint". While technically correct - for some, it's a reflection of the company and its employees - so for many, we do care how these corporate images look.

I understand your desire for us all to "chill out", but we're all entitled to express our views on a subject. It may only be a livery to you, however in this truly global environment in which we all live, it represents the image of a major airline - for which several members on here work. If they feel that the chosen livery is not particularly attractive or that better (their opinions...) options were dismissed then surely they should be allowed to talk about it with other people who share their interest.

Or should we all just write: "for fear of showing any emotion that may harm/offend/upset/disagree with another persons views/opinions/feelings I will say nothing" - perhaps sometimes that is the best option, but on this forum it's not really appropriate.

Jeff, would you be kind enough to show me where I wrote you're not entitled to your own opinions? Or that you could not post them on ARC? Being a non-native speaker, I guess my english skills might be failing me, 'cause I really missed it, so thanks in advance.

Yes, for me it's just a livery and I couldn't care less about it (sorry if it hurts to read).

It may look awful to some, while others might like it (Jelle did). For me? Not that bad, guess I'll just get used to it.

The thing is... it's chosen. It's there. So why bother?

I've been working for the airline industry for 18 years now, and one thing I've learned is that WE love planes. Airlines, though, they love money. That's why it's just business for them, while some of us get mad when things don't go the way we'd like them to.

Me again? I love my family and my profession, will fly right and passionately no matter the tail color. And I won't furlough wife and children in case the airline drops me off.

So, to make long story short, loving an airline is useless, trust me.

You're entitled to your opinion, just like everyone else, myself included. And my opinion is... don't take it too seriously, it's just a color scheme.

Feel like you wanna feel. Write down whatever comes to your mind. Show your emotions and please, don't ever mind if I'll like it or not. Just don't expect me to take it too seriously when I don't want to.

Chill out? I haven't seen anyone in here go off the deep end to justify that remark either. As far as taking it too seriously, just because I posted it here, doesn't mean I'm up-n-arms about it and hell bent to have it changed.

That's what I mean! You don't like it, most AA fellow pilots of yours - as you mentioned - don't like it either, but hey! Why are you not "up-n-arms" about it? Because... it's just... a livery! (loved the "up-n-arms" expression, will use it from today on!)

I just don't like it and I won't put it on a model.

I'd never say "never" about it. Being an Eagle pilot, don't you think it might fit smaller planes better than it did on the T7 and B737NG as shown? Maybe it'll look cooler on EMB's, or ATR's. I remember the 707 as a plane that could make any silly color scheme look great!

I'm a serious AstroJet fanboy. coolio.gif

Tracy

Well, that meaning SOMEONE at AA has a great taste yet!

Best regards to you all... AND CHILL THE F*CK OUT! rofl.gif

Eduardo

As a longtime AA flyer, I'm not a fan. The current livery is classy and, if the airframe is kept well maintained and shiny, downright stunning.

The new livery is blah in my mind. I might feel somewhat different if the fuselage was silver. The red and blue would really pop. However, as it is it looks too much like a rehashed Ameriflot crossed with a Eurowhite anyplane.

Jelle, I guess folks refer to that as a white (or "white-ish", such as light gray on the new AA) fuse, with no other colors on it, meaning "nothing but white" (Lufthansa, Air France, such and such).

Or I may be wrong, in this case please, someone correct me.

Regards

Eduardo