American's new livery

"Eurowhite" refers to the bland, boring all white fuselages that many European airliners have. It is often used to refer to a boring, bland, monochromatic appearance. In other words, no individuality nor style. That isn't meant as putdown to Europe nor Europeans. Had US-airlines gone white first we'd probably be calling the look, "Ameriwhite," but since they didn't, at least not in any large way compared to the many smaller and start up airlines in Europe that have sprung up in recent years, it goes by its current moniker.

Well I agree with the fact that most European carriers have a livery based on a white fuselage..... but I won't call them all boring. I don't think Air France, Lufthansa or Swiss have more boring liveries than US Airways, Delta or Alaska Airlines. Also I don't really see why it should be especially applicable to Europe as white fuselages are the worldwide standard and European airlines did not particularly start that trend. :)

By the way, think of it in a positive way. When a military modeler brags about his capability to airbrush camouflage patterns, you respond with 'hey, at least I can paint white in a proper way' :monkeydance:

Years ago the the FAA did a study as to the best color for an aircraft for visibility. Their study found that white reflected the most light and thus was the safest color to paint an aircraft to increase its visibility. Perhaps that is why so many airlines choose white as the base color for the liveries.

The new American livery is quite possibly the single ugliest livery I've ever seen painted on an airliner. From a design standpoint, it completely lacks integration, imagination, style, or any other positive attribute I can think of. What the heck is the "thing" ahead of the American title supposed to be, a "thing"? If that's what they were going for they succeeded admirably, otherwise I have no clue what it's supposed to be or what it's supposed to represent.

The whole thing is just hideous, and looks like an 8th grade art class project. I predict it will last between 6 and 12 months.

The new American livery is quite possibly the single ugliest livery I've ever seen painted on an airliner. From a design standpoint, it completely lacks integration, imagination, style, or any other positive attribute I can think of. What the heck is the "thing" ahead of the American title supposed to be, a "thing"? If that's what they were going for they succeeded admirably, otherwise I have no clue what it's supposed to be or what it's supposed to represent.

The whole thing is just hideous, and looks like an 8th grade art class project. I predict it will last between 6 and 12 months.

Do you really think it will only survive for a year at most? That's an awfully expensive trial period - all the company letter headed paper, uniforms, check-in desk changes, aircraft repaints etc..Especially for a company that's struggling at the moment.

I don't like that "thing" either. But it must be very costly to maintain the polished metal finish AA currently have and with future aircraft becoming more and more plastic, it probably makes economic sense to repaint; that way you only have the scheduled aircraft wash to pay for and not a wash and a polish.

.... it completely lacks integration, imagination, style, or any other positive attribute I can think of. What the heck is the "thing" ahead of the American title supposed to be, a "thing"?

Kind of sums up 'merican's management.

That "thing" on the logo... it's been referred to as a, "perverted seagull peeking past a shower curtain."

American *has* to go away from polished aluminum, since their forthcoming 787s aren't made of aluminum. Some kind of a metallic silver paint has always been in the cards for them in some fashion. I just hope and pray their management gets the idea that this new scheme is hideous and will (I predict) be highly unpopular with the public, and that they'll change it ASAP.

I don't mind the pearlescent silver paint, but the design has to go.

American *has* to go away from polished aluminum, since their forthcoming 787s aren't made of aluminum. Some kind of a metallic silver paint has always been in the cards for them in some fashion. I just hope and pray their management gets the idea that this new scheme is hideous and will (I predict) be highly unpopular with the public, and that they'll change it ASAP.

I don't mind the pearlescent silver paint, but the design has to go.

Too true, the silver paint is nice but the rest? Surely there were nicer alternatives?

Most of the public dont even know what they are getting on.Walk down a tube into another tube,get off that one at the other end into the tube to the terminal.they havent a clue or any interest in who made the 'plane or what colour it is.They just want to get there safely for the least money.They are not interested in aircraft or airlines,let alone the paintwork.

Tell that to Delta. Their 1998 livery was changed in record time.

Most passengers still dont/wont care,or even know anything about the colours.They are not enthusiasts.What were the 1998 colours?I can only find 1962,1997, 2000 and 2007 changes on the Delta museum,livery history list.

Edited by bzn20

Most passengers still dont/wont care,or even know anything about the colours.They are not enthusiasts.What were the 1998 colours?I can only find 1962,1997, 2000 and 2007 changes on the Delta museum,livery history list.

These are the ones I'm aware of for Delta (just made this a few days ago to compare them)

537273_566283033399651_166558321_n.png

1997-2000 seems to be a short living livery. I think American now is trying to communicate that they are changing and they are not what they used to be. Seeing the communities reactions I'm not sure they made the best choice, however I tend to agree that we here are not necessarily sharing the public, non-enthusiast people' opinion. Time will tell and it might easily turn out that they'll change some aspect of the livery in a few years (I'd start with the tail as it just doesn't work for me this way....)

Greetings, neu

I didnt know what Deltaflot was 'till I saw that Delta museum site.Thats a brilliant description for it tho'!The 1997 scheme lasted 3 years.

On the latest American effort again.we'll have to agree to disagree on the scheme in general,the one thing I dont like is that beak shaped thing taking part of the letter out,it is stupid.If the graphic people have to explain what a particular part of the design is or where the inspiration for it comes from,they've failed.It should be obvious at 1st sight.So what is the American logo now?Thats the worst thing they could do,throw away the eagle icon.BA got rid of the Speedbird for Nelson's flag.We had to be told that,it wasnt obvious.

Edited by bzn20

Astrojet was the best of all time for American. Classic.

Half the time I think these companies change stuff for the sake of changing it, so they will get noticed and talked about. They sure got their wish with this one.

Edited by DutyCat

It has been a couple day since anyone has said anything about this subject and it just so happened that it spent the night here at LAX

SAM_1192_zpsfe6a9839.jpg

SAM_1190_zps29d7a104.jpg

SAM_1188_zpscd52710b.jpg

SAM_1189_zps22c1be87.jpg

I hope they didn't pay much money for this paint job, not because of the logos but because of the orange peel in the paint. Who painted it Earl Scheibs or Maaco???? (yes I know it was painted at Victorville). Give it another couple of weeks and there will be a 767-300 in this color N368AA is in Roswell getting painted as we speak.

David

The new livery looks good. But only IF YOU HAVE NEVER SEEN the prevoius livery.

It looks like a completely different airline. This is like taking away the yellow logo from Lufthansa tails.

Maybe they just told the designers to design a livery with an "american" theme, but didn't tell them for which airline it was supposed to be.

On the other hand, the 2007 Delta livery looks like ****, too.

Ick, Must have used DuPont. Funny story. I used to work in the paint department at a bus factory. We made the switch from PPG to DuPont on the department head's whim (a former employee of his went to work for PPG, which made him upset, so he went on a crusade to switch to DuPont). DuPont's own painters could not look the buses look good, and ours fared no better. Eventually, 'DuPont issues' became a defect category in and of itself.

Last I heard, they were still using PPG corrosion products. We tried the switch to DuPont, but their zinc coating flaked right off, resulting in the line being reversed, the old coating grit blasted off, and PPG applied. Lots of overtime.