SEPECAT Jaguar GR3A

Can I ask you where the finished model will be displayed? I live in the UK and would love to see the finished model close up. I worked on the RAF Jaguars as a technician at RAF Coltishall and have fond memories of these iconic jets, I even wrote a book on them for modelers!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PWJAGUAR

What you are doing and the level of detail you incorporate into your model is way beyond my modest capabilities and probably those of a lot of others too, but it is a real pleasure to see it all coming together. Which scheme are you planning to finish it in? I built a 1/48 GR1 from the first Gulf War, the famous 'Mary Rose' which took nearly 3 years to build, but your model puts mine in the shade!

Edited by gloo

Timmy,

Very inspiring work! :thumbsup:/>/>

Two quick questions if you don't mind. I know your OV-10 took a few years to complete, what's the timeframe for this build? Second, I see you are building a computer model for pattern work. During this build, are you going to have any data from the computer model printed(or grown) via 3D printing or SLA?

May the Force be with You!

Steven L :wave:/>/>

Steven,

Not sure what the timeline will turn out to be. I have some commercial aspirations with this model - so there is some motivation to get it done sooner than later. Also the Jag is less complex than the OV-10 so that should help speed things up, I think this will be at least another year or so. 3d printing may happen, depends on the budget and inclination.

I did in my pants . Very impressive work :jaw-dropping:/>/>

Whoopsie! The author is not responsible for the use of this thread as a laxative.

Can I ask you where the finished model will be displayed? I live in the UK and would love to see the finished model close up. I worked on the RAF Jaguars as a technician at RAF Coltishall and have fond memories of these iconic jets, I even wrote a book on them for modelers!

http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/PWJAGUAR

Well one is staying with me in the States, others I don't know. The first one will be No. 54 Squadron GN XZ394. That jet is on the covered well in the Aeroguide 31 book. I have a copy of yours too - fantastic and great reference - thank you for your effort!

PS since you're doing all the research work, how about consulting for Trumpeter so that they can produce a nice 1/32 kit :rolleyes:/>/>

Not sure I the one, but it could use some help. From what I have seen they went down the same rabbit hole I did and used the Koku Fan drawings, which look really good but not right, so much so that I redrew my entire CAD model.

Quick update.

I have exhausted my on hand supply of aluminum sheet so on with other details. I constructed a vacuum form master from sheet, balsa and filler and pulled the instrument coaming.

The master, it did have "padding" of balsa on the ends and bottom to get a smooth pull and ensure even thickness at the trimmed edges. The padding was removed and used to trim the coaming.

img1280kx.jpg

img1279o.jpg

Here is the trimmed coaming with some bumps added at the sides.

img1281wr.jpg

img1282hj.jpg

img1283qu.jpg

The first layer of detail applied.

img1284w.jpg

img1285ji.jpg

Timmy!

Well this is it for the coaming for now. I'll be back to skinning the fuse for a while.

This work is really all the niggly details, to get the parts 100% complete.

Little bracket work on the Sky Guardian Display.

img1324wm.jpg

NVG lighting and ECM and Chaff push button. On the bottom the Navigation box.

img1314jd.jpg

img1328g.jpg

The Navigation box mounting bracket with Drouge Chute Release. Flood lights that mount under the coaming and Nav box.

img1315ys.jpg

A few more details on the coaming. The black patches are 320 grit sand paper to represent patches of velcro loop. Plus a few other surface details.

img1322ea.jpg

img1325gk.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Here's the latest progress. More sheeting and little work in the cockpit area. Notice the canopy is in place.

img1338r.jpg

img1337dp.jpg

img1336x.jpg

img1335wu.jpg

Just got a new camera so I put together a little moving picture. Hope you like it. I'll make more if the demand is there. Bear with the first effort - let just say there's lots of room for improvement. Oh well - enjoy!