F-102 Questions

Hello,

I am doing some research on a F-102 that was deployed to Homestead AFB during the Cuban Missle crisis in 1962. I believe it is from the 482nd Fighter Intercept Squadron. Is that correct? Any idea about the badge on the tail? What color is the lightning bolt? The color on the fromt of the splitter? What is that right in front of the splitter on the fuselage? I have Googled everyway I know how. The most I have come up with is this photo.

800px-482d_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_Convair_F-102A-90-CO_Delta_Dagger_57-823_zps57dbdd65.jpg

I am looking for any information someone might have. Unit history and maybe the details of the deployment during the crisis. I want to build a Monogram 1/48th kit of this aircraft and was doing some prilimanary research to see what I could find. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time.

Jim Root

Jim,

From Century Jets by Airtime Publishing p. 122:

The 482nd FS was stationed at Seymour Johnson AFB, North Carolina. The squadron flew the F/TF-102A beginning 24 April 1957.

In November 1961, reacting to tensions in the aftermath of the failed Bay of Pigs invasion of Cuba, the 482nd FIS established a permanent alert detachment at Homestead AFB, Florida. For a brief period prior to that date, the 482nd FIS operated at Miami International Airport while repairs to the Homestead runway were completed.

On 15 June 1963, the 482nd FIS moved its alert contingent from Homestead to Key West, Florida, the US city closest to Cuba. By then, the Bay of Pigs had been followed by the Cuban missile crises, and tensions had peaked and begun to decline. On 1 July 1965, the 482nd ceased alert operations. The last F-102A apparently departed on 17 August 1965.

The squadron was inactivated at Seymour Johnson on 8 October 1965.

There's a small photo of 57-0850 (if I am not mistaken). The badge on the tail appears to be the squadron insignia (http://www.ericsusafpatches.nl/interceptor/squadrons-flights/squadrons-flights%20461_9999.html), lightning bolt is red and the white rectangle on the fuselage in front of the splitter appears to carry the name of the pilot and/or CC as far as I cal tell.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/482nd_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:482d_Fighter-Interceptor_Squadron_F-102s_57-0856_57-0832_SJ.jpg

http://stoneystonestreet.com/notes_1.php

HTH

Bjarne

Ok another question. Does anyone know of these markings being done in a decal sheet in 1/48th scale? I will at least need the Squadron emblem on the tail. The others I should be able to come up with. It would be nice to find the lighting bolt on a sheet if possible. Thanks for the time.

Jim Root

• 1 year later...

Well I have gotten back on this F-102 kick again. I think I have everthing I need except the squadron badge on the tail. I am looking for ideas on how I can come up with one in 1/48th scale. Does someone do custom decals? I just need the 2 badges for the tail. I am not sure who I might get in contact with. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks again for your time.

Jim Root

A few years ago I was confronted with the same problem.

Due to the lack of appropriate aftermarket sheets, I had to vectorise the squadron badge myself based on pictures of embroidered patches.

48th scale print size of the triangle is 0.21".

482ndFIS_triangle_zps2efffa98.jpg

If you'd like to just drop me a note and I will be glad to send you the templates via e-mail.

(PNG/EPS/AI, etc.)

Cheers,

Erik

I'm interested in all things SJAFB, and the 482nd used to have an alumni web site with a lot of good photos. Unfortunately, it's gone, now. A few years ago, I contacted the site owner, but he wasn't very helpful. In 1962, 27 or 28 jets had "City of..." & the name of a North Carolina city and a large map of NC painted on the nose gear door. Until you posted the above photo, I've never been able to correlate any of the names with serial numbers, though. So, 57-0823 was "City of Wilmington." Great! :yahoo:/> "City of Goldsboro" would have been a great subject, because it also had a couple of drone kill markings and what look like missile firing markings on the nose. I think the map might have been red, since it looks to be the same shade of gray as the red part of the national insignia. The letters look like they could have been black or blue, since they were noticeably darker than the map. I've never seen a color shot of the names. If you'll PM your email address to me, I can put together a little more info for you.

Ben

EDIT: Also, they had the ADC badge on the starboard side of the tail, squadron badge on the port side.

BB

Edited by Ben Brown

A few years ago I was confronted with the same problem.

Due to the lack of appropriate aftermarket sheets, I had to vectorise the squadron badge myself based on pictures of embroidered patches.

48th scale print size of the triangle is 0.21".

482ndFIS_triangle_zps2efffa98.jpg

If you'd like to just drop me a note and I will be glad to send you the templates via e-mail.

(PNG/EPS/AI, etc.)

Cheers,

Erik

Hello Erik.

P.M. sent to you

Thank you,

Jim Root

I'm interested in all things SJAFB, and the 482nd used to have an alumni web site with a lot of good photos. Unfortunately, it's gone, now. A few years ago, I contacted the site owner, but he wasn't very helpful. In 1962, 27 or 28 jets had "City of..." & the name of a North Carolina city and a large map of NC painted on the nose gear door. Until you posted the above photo, I've never been able to correlate any of the names with serial numbers, though. So, 57-0823 was "City of Wilmington." Great! :yahoo:/>/> "City of Goldsboro" would have been a great subject, because it also had a couple of drone kill markings and what look like missile firing markings on the nose. I think the map might have been red, since it looks to be the same shade of gray as the red part of the national insignia. The letters look like they could have been black or blue, since they were noticeably darker than the map. I've never seen a color shot of the names. If you'll PM your email address to me, I can put together a little more info for you.

Ben

EDIT: Also, they had the ADC badge on the starboard side of the tail, squadron badge on the port side.

BB

Ben,

Thank you so much for the heads up on the map on the gear door. I never noticed it. Nice catch! Anything you can come up with would be a great help. I really appreciate the help. I sent you a PM. Thanks again,

Jim Root

I'm interested in all things SJAFB, and the 482nd used to have an alumni web site with a lot of good photos. Unfortunately, it's gone, now.

If you still recall the URL, you could try the Internet Archive.

HTH,

Andre

Edited by Andre
  • 2 weeks later...

As far as the squadron emblem goes, you could try contacting Fighting Pirannha. They have done custom work for me and a few others in the past. the decals are good but will be printed on a sheet so you will have to trim them from the excess.

http://www.fightingpirannhagraphics.com/

I will give them a shout and see if they can help me. Thank you for the tip.

Jim Root

• 2 weeks later...

The only missiles the 102 used were Falcons. If the airplane was on alert with no missiles, the best the pilot could have done was open the canopy and shot a spit wad at the bad guy.

The only missiles the 102 used were Falcons. If the airplane was on alert with no missiles, the best the pilot could have done was open the canopy and shot a spit wad at the bad guy.

Thanks Jennings. I was almost sure that was the case but I had to ask. Told you it was a dumb question :)

Jim Root

In addition to Falcons, early Deuces carried unguided Folding Fin Air Rockets (FFAR) inside the thick central missile doors and could use them in sort of a short-range "shotgun" attack. I think I've read that this option eventually fell out of favor and Falcons ended up being the only weapons.

I read in a couple of articles that in a true WW3 scenario, if the pilot was out of missiles and had a target, he was expect to ram the Rooski bomber. Not a bad idea, since if WW3 ever happened, there probably would not be much left to fly home to.