VF-103, F-14B, 163217

Hello all,

I am in the final stages of building F-14B 163217 from VF-103's final Tomcat Cruise.

I used a twobobs sheet for the main markings but had a bit of a disaster and needed replacement fuselage bands with the 'star 'n bar.'

I bought a set of Jasmine Model 148008 for these, but i've noticed the sheet includes a decal that says 'Get 'er Done' and the placement guide shows that it should go on the upper right wing, just inside of the '103' digits.

The Twobobs sheet did not include this decal. Can anyone shed any light on it? Or have Jasmine Model made it up??

Thanks

Dave

Hello all,

I am in the final stages of building F-14B 163217 from VF-103's final Tomcat Cruise.

I used a twobobs sheet for the main markings but had a bit of a disaster and needed replacement fuselage bands with the 'star 'n bar.'

I bought a set of Jasmine Model 148008 for these, but i've noticed the sheet includes a decal that says 'Get 'er Done' and the placement guide shows that it should go on the upper right wing, just inside of the '103' digits.

The Twobobs sheet did not include this decal. Can anyone shed any light on it? Or have Jasmine Model made it up??

Thanks

Dave

Dave-

Go with the Jasmine sheet. I have put in countless hours of research on the VF-103 last cruise jets, (hell I even released a decal sheet of all of them a few years ago) and Jasmine's is a nice rendition. I was working very closely with VF-103 at the time, and I was fortunate to have gotten a lot of information on these jets before, during, and after the cruise.

Also, 163217 did not have a national insignia on the upper left wing. The Get Er' Done logo was put on the flap of the right wing,just to the left of the flap number.

If you need more info on this bird, shoot me a PM.

Edited by VFA-103guy

Brian, hello! Excellent photos and model, you have photo of the bottom view and with top....... please!!! I too am going to do this board in 1/32. When I will do I hope to see you in advisers as you very well you know this squadron.

Yours faithfully, Andrey.

can you post pictures of the sparrow hawk hud parts so i can see what they look like and where they go?

My friend, if you have not gotten a copy of the DACO Uncovering the F-14A/B/D book, you need to!! It has excellent covreage of the Sparrow/Hawk HUD in it.

As promissed, here's a few of the pics I have of 163217..almost in time line format.

March 2003 - One of the first 2 VF-103 F-14B's to get the Sparrow/Hawk HUD.

brianmarbreyoneweb.jpg

March 2004 - 60th Ann markings

1038.jpg

105_0511.jpg

Final Tomcat Cruise

103nightlaunch_zps23190d77.jpg

103cover_zps4e4d5c6b.jpg

Hi Brian, I know you're the last person I should try to correct on VF-103 subjects but I believe you will agree with my humble comment.

The first of the 5 pictures you posted actually belonged to BuNo.161435. As far as my research has taught me, 161435 carried AA103 markings till March/April 2003. The bird then became AA110 and kept this modex till its final flight to AMARG on 2005-01-25. 163217 replaced its predecessor becoming AA103 on april/may of the same year. Its first AA103 paint scheme was that of "60th Anniversary" with the missing "VF-5B" marking on the tail. The plane kept this modex number till its final days in AMARG where it must have been destroyed after 2007-01 which is the last record I have of this gorgeous and beautiful bird. Check out this awesome picture...even covered in snow and wishing he was still flying, this bird kept looking superb !!

http://www.airfighters.com/photo/61366/M/USA-Navy/Grumman-F-14B-Tomcat/163217/

Boy its sucks every time I remember they destroyed every Tomcat (except the ones on museums of course), how I wish the NAVY had left at least 1 or 2 operational birds for air shows !!!

The remaining 4 pictures belonged to 163217.

Danny

Danny..you are incorrect my friend. The first pic is of 163217. I was actually THERE and documented these jets pretty thoroughly. 161435 was Vic 103 until march of 2003 which is when I was there for CDR Williams change of command. I saw both jets and actually 161435 was marked up as 104..I saw it in the hangar the 3 days I was on the flight line..161435 did become Vic 110 later that year and remained 110 until the end. A good buddy of mine flew Vic 110 pretty regularly. But 163217 was painted up as 103..it was a new transfer from VF-101. Also, in April, I had asked one of the JO's to send me a list of BuNo's and the list he sent confirms the info and I would gladly provide you a copy.

Oh..and btw you should check the walk around section of ARC before you call me out..plenty of pics if 163217 there that i took In march of 2O03...actually a full walk around.

Here ya go:163217 Walk Arounds

Edited by VFA-103guy

Danny..you are incorrect my friend. The first pic is of 163217. I was actually THERE and documented these jets pretty thoroughly. 161435 was Vic 103 until march of 2003 which is when I was there for CDR Williams change of command. I saw both jets and actually 161435 was marked up as 104..I saw it in the hangar the 3 days I was on the flight line..161435 did become Vic 110 later that year and remained 110 until the end. A good buddy of mine flew Vic 110 pretty regularly. But 163217 was painted up as 103..it was a new transfer from VF-101. Also, in April, I had asked one of the JO's to send me a list of BuNo's and the list he sent confirms the info and I would gladly provide you a copy.

Oh..and btw you should check the walk around section of ARC before you call me out..plenty of pics if 163217 there that i took In march of 2O03...actually a full walk around.

Here ya go:163217 Walk Arounds

Hey buddy, as I stated on my opening line...you're the last person I want to correct regarding VF-103 stuff so I apologize. Why I posted my comment: I have a few pictures of 161435 flying over Croatia just a few months before you took this shot. At that time, Vic 103 paint scheme looked identical to the newly painted 163217. The black spots on the yellow area of the vertical tails made me believe they were a result from cruise corrosion. I never thought a freshly painted Vic 103 would have those spots on the tails but...I was wrong. Thanks for the explanation.

Hey buddy, as I stated on my opening line...you're the last person I want to correct regarding VF-103 stuff so I apologize. Why I posted my comment: I have a few pictures of 161435 flying over Croatia just a few months before you took this shot. At that time, Vic 103 paint scheme looked identical to the newly painted 163217. The black spots on the yellow area of the vertical tails made me believe they were a result from cruise corrosion. I never thought a freshly painted Vic 103 would have those spots on the tails but...I was wrong. Thanks for the explanation.

This is the thing..there are those of us who have ACTUALLY been there and witnessed a lot of very important history aspects of Naval Aviation throughout the years. I was fortunate to have been at the right place at the right time, and the week of March 11-16 2003 was one of the most memorable times I spent with VF-103, 3 days of which were on the flight line. I fully had hopes of capturing 161435 in full color markings, but to my surprise, it was not. She was marked up as Vic 104. VF-103 had already painted 163217 up 2 days before I got there.

The paint chipping off the tails is nothing new and happens more often than one would think.

Those pics of 161435 over Croatia are dated incorrectly if they're saying March 2003. I have the originals and they are actually dated either late Sept, early October, maybe Nov 2002. I'll double check.

It's all water undeer the bridge..no harm done.

Dave-

Go with the Jasmine sheet. I have put in countless hours of research on the VF-103 last cruise jets, (hell I even released a decal sheet of all of them a few years ago) and Jasmine's is a nice rendition. I was working very closely with VF-103 at the time, and I was fortunate to have gotten a lot of information on these jets before, during, and after the cruise.

Also, 163217 did not have a national insignia on the upper left wing. The Get Er' Done logo was put on the flap of the right wing,just to the left of the flap number.

If you need more info on this bird, shoot me a PM.

Don't forget, we should all be thankful to that fine gentleman at AMARG who was kind enough to give us clear, definitive shots of those "GET ER DONE" flap markings before they were lost to history :salute:/> :thumbsup:/>

Dave, if you get any of Brian's VF-Decals sheets or the subsequent Fightertown releases for the last cruise, you will be good to go as they worked from the same shared reference data (the best available). The TwoBobs sheet has some significant issues. Another thing you might want to make note of is the dissimilar yellow used on the vagabond stripes between port and starboard sides of the nose as well as the number of chevrons used on the port vs starboard tanks.

-Mike (who has a great affinity for 163217).

Don't forget, we should all be thankful to that fine gentleman at AMARG who was kind enough to give us clear, definitive shots of those "GET ER DONE" flap markings before they were lost to history :salute:/>/> :thumbsup:/>/>

Dave, if you get any of Brian's VF-Decals sheets or the subsequent Fightertown releases for the last cruise, you will be good to go as they worked from the same shared reference data (the best available). The TwoBobs sheet has some significant issues. Another thing you might want to make note of is the dissimilar yellow used on the vagabond stripes between port and starboard sides of the nose as well as the number of chevrons used on the port vs starboard tanks.

-Mike (who has a great affinity for 163217).

You are absolutely correct Mike! I could never thank you enough for all the pics and info you sent concerning that jet.

You and that fine gentleman at AMARG were a tremendous help!

You are absolutely correct Mike! I could never thank you enough for all the pics and info you sent concerning that jet.

You and that fine gentleman at AMARG were a tremendous help!

Brian, did you publish your "GET ER DONE" shots on one of your Posts?

If so can you send me the link to it please !!!

• 4 years later...

Just found this threat...searching for AA 103... Great info, thanks a lot. I also have the VF-Decals sheet on the VF-103 birds, had it for years. Great to have the researcher/creator here in this forum. I have just managed to correct the bloddy intake mistake on a HB 1/48 bird I got for cheap and if the build goes along fine, the nose issue has to be solved, then it will become 103 "Final Cruise". The winter picture of 103, as sad a it is, is absolutely magnificent! I will use it to create my "season greeting" cards this year ;-)

Now I have to research the "final cruise" since I want to know what weapons were loaded and what missions flown...no idea yet!

thanks a lot

Uwe