1/48 CF-18 188790 - Brand new

I like the camo lines of the Canadian birds better than the US.

Looks good!

Thanks!

The camo lines are more distinct, because the upper colour is darker than the USN. Over time, the USN paint lines tend to fade quite a bit, and it's hard to see the demarcations. I like this scheme too, but I might be biased...

:thumbsup:

ALF

By opening a window, and refraining from releasing intestinal gas?

I will display it next to a leg garter strap that I kept from the real jets - soaked in sunlight, it gives off some of that new cockpit smell.

That gets me thinking - what does the back of a police patrol car smell like? Ewwwww! I can only imagine.

ALF

I knew you'd have an answer. Now take that strap to Airwick or Glade or Johnson & Johnson to see if they can replicate that smell into an air freshener or mist from a spray can and you might have something. Or see if the could replicate the combined smells of sweat, barf, jet fuel, hydraulic oil, intestinal gas and whatever other odours one might smell in a cockpit and see if they can replicate that. I can see it now. For those modelers who weather their models to the Nth degree could spritz the 'office' with Glade's new aerosol product called 'Stinky Cockpit'. The ultimate tool for ultimate weathering.

As for the smell in the back of a cruiser...I don't know. I've never been in the back. :whistle: Actually, when someone has an accident, we can take the cruiser to Fleet Services and they hose it out PDQ. Vinyl seats and vinyl floor mat. High pressure wash and quick dry and we're back in business. Rear windows will roll down but that's not an option when there's a prisoner in the back seat. Now, if there's a potential biohazard such as Hep A, B or C, HIV, other blood or fluid borne ick, the cruisers are taken to the Paramedic Fleet Service for decontamination. Surprisingly, they don't smell too bad. Having said that, I wouldn't want to sit back there very long or eat off the floor...

Long time no update. Here's a quick teaser before the Leafs/Habs game tonight. Hopefully it won't be as one-sided as their last meeting... with Ryder back in the lineup, who knows?

I've been slowing plugging away bit by bit on this one. Real life has gotten in the way, with some extra work thrown my way and short deadlines. Luckily after tomorrow it's mid-term break, and I can catch my breath, plus do some modeling.

First off, did some touching up painting on top and bottom, followed by some black around the cockpit area.

P1160750_zps27357ea0.jpg

P1160751_zps3287e3b3.jpg

I have made good progress on the resin seat. The funny-looking wire is going to be the ejection handle, with its fabric back cover (unique to CF-18s, not on USN Hornets). The kit part broke into pieces, and it needed the backing anyway.

P1160753_zpsb38b7731.jpg

I started with my normal pencil-lead weathering technique. What I like about this is the way you can make mistakes and use an eraser to start afresh. I applied some streaking to the upper wing surfaces, where hydraulic actuators from the LEF tend to leak and cause grime streaks.

P1160754_zps9d4467d5.jpg

Here you can see I've scribbled pencil onto the tops of the LEX, where the walkways are. I then wet a finger and rubbed, leaving it with a more natural-looking walkway surface.

P1160755_zps0eb3e4b7.jpg

P1160756_zps9916009a.jpg

Note I've done some dry-brushing on the black areas in the cockpit.

P1160757_zpsa96ab44d.jpg

After all this, I decided that the weathering was too heavy. When we took delivery of these aircraft they were perfectly clean. Even after a couple months flying in Cold Lake, they were still hardly weathered at all. So I took an eraser to the weathering job, and cleaned it up considerably.

Pics soon - but the game is starting!

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Decalling is started. I was a little curious how the Wintervalley (now Canuck Models) decals would work out; I was quite pleased that Dave came out with symmetrical decals! The instructions note that it is best to mask and paint the false canopy, as the decals could use some trimming. Not being one to mask and paint if I don't have to, I decided to try the decals out. Here is the area around the nose wheel before I applied Microsol to get them to sit down more. You can see there are gaps here and there.

P1160766_zpsdcdcff83.jpg

P1160767_zps41cb7267.jpg

Here are the nose gear doors, showing some gaps. I finally broke down and did some painting. The good news is that the FS 36118 from Modelmaster Acryl was actually a pretty close match for these decals, which is not the case with Leading Edge false canopy colours.

P1160768_zps8fb87ef5.jpg

Decals coming along.

P1160770_zps5afef57a.jpg

P1160769_zpsfc1b075a.jpg

Soon it will be time for the clear coat (dull). Then the tough part - the fiddly little HUD PE parts.

ALF

If anyone ever wondered how customer service is with Canuck Models, I can tell you that within minutes of me posting the pics above, Dave Winter PM'd me and asked if I had received (with my decals) the 1/48 FS 36118 correction sheet for the false canopy. To my surprise, I had overlooked them. He also went out and got a Hasegawa 1/48 kit to measure the false canopy, and I know he's working at it, doing comparisons and measurements. Turns out that gear door dimensions are different from kit to kit (no surprise), and also from AM landing gear bay sets.

Here are those teeny HUD PE parts I was talking about. It takes a magnifying glass, tweezers, exacto knife, and a steady hand to bend those tiny pieces the right way.

P1160776_zps523f2e2a.jpg

Here is one side glued in place with CA glue. I then painted it black, and let the whole thing set properly. After that, the other PE part went on and got painted. I then practised my patience again, letting it dry, before gluing the transparencies in place.

P1160777_zps8c84fb84.jpg

One thing I was careful of was not to let the HUD sit up too high. That can spell trouble when the windscreen will not sit in place.

After the dull coat, things are looking better. I now have to glue the nav lights and anti-collision lights in place. Those nav lights under the wings (on the fairings for the aileron actuators) are super tiny!

P1160778_zpsdde22749.jpg

I am also gluing the canopy actuator rod in place, letting it set before the canopy goes in place.

Here is the canopy before painting the black on the inside forward portions, and before installing those tiny PE rear view mirrors.

P1160779_zps94113714.jpg

ALF

Here is one of those tiny nav lights under the wing. Painted green with a Lumocolor permanent marker.

P1160796_zps831062aa.jpg

This is the canopy with the actuator and other bits in place, setting. Posed next to a mug I realize I have had for almost 30 years - an anniversary cup for the RCAF, 1984 (60 years). No, that's not iced tea - it's hot water with lemon.

P1160794_zpsa5b863e9.jpg

HUD, forward canopy, and seat all in place.

P1160797_zps4174688d.jpg

The finish line is in sight.

P1160793_zps9f9cf5ad.jpg

ALF

Edited by ALF18

This one is finished. Here is the end result. Very much like 790 was one day in December 1987, when I flew it from Cold Lake to Bagotville, where it was taken on strength as one of 12 aircraft to form 433 Squadron.

P1160798_zps3d7276b2.jpg

That's why there are no squadron logos, and the weathering is very light. These jets were quite pristine when first delivered.

P1160799_zpsb3219488.jpg

P1160800_zpscd92b242.jpg

I fixed the little splotch after taking this shot.

P1160801_zps42c6c1bc.jpg

P1160803_zpsa9dc764b.jpg

Thanks for following along!

ALF

Thanks guys! I find myself gazing at my two 1/32 scale Hornets, and wondering when I will tackle them. The plan is to do one that I used to fly, and another one after all the upgrades with some kind of mixed A/A and A/G load. Until then, I will sit this one beside the dual I built a few years back (924, our squadron's first dual in 1988).

ALF

Thanks guys! I find myself gazing at my two 1/32 scale Hornets, and wondering when I will tackle them. The plan is to do one that I used to fly, and another one after all the upgrades with some kind of mixed A/A and A/G load. Until then, I will sit this one beside the dual I built a few years back (924, our squadron's first dual in 1988).

ALF

Awesome job dude.

I look forward to follow you on the Larger Hornets. I want to do at least one in the near future, 769 as she was for Op Mobile.

Denis

Excellent..... and to be the first to christen it with fragrances that a long line of peers have had to experience since must have been so satisfying. So Traditional....

ALF nice build!

Emil

Excellent..... and to be the first to christen it with fragrances that a long line of peers have had to experience since must have been so satisfying. So Traditional....

ALF nice build!

Emil

Thanks Emil!

Are you implying that I stink? :woot.gif:

If so, in which way?

Is there an analogy, like being the one who stinks out a public toilet, and grins at the poor dudes who have to use if afterward?

:yahoo:

There is definitely something to be said about being in there first...

Thanks for following along.

ALF

I don't know how I missed this thread but it's fantastic. Great build and all the background info on this particular aircraft (and what it was like to fly one) makes it even better.

Thanks for taking the time to pull all this together!

Looks sweet

LOve the paint hob these walkways are sweet

Thanks Neo! I have a copyright on that technique :rolleyes:

but others may use it as long as they come visit and have a beer sometime!

ALF

I don't know how I missed this thread but it's fantastic. Great build and all the background info on this particular aircraft (and what it was like to fly one) makes it even better.

Thanks for taking the time to pull all this together!

Thanks 11bee!

Glad you appreciated it.

ALF

Thanks Neo! I have a copyright on that technique :rolleyes:/>

but others may use it as long as they come visit and have a beer sometime!

ALF

Nicely done, mister and I'm coming to view your technique in person. I view. I buy beer. What a deal. As for your other rule...if I wear a low cut top, can I look at the underside? Having said that, will you be out of therapy by the time I show up on your doorstep?

Nicely done, mister and I'm coming to view your technique in person. I view. I buy beer. What a deal. As for your other rule...if I wear a low cut top, can I look at the underside? Having said that, will you be out of therapy by the time I show up on your doorstep?

EWWWW! Get that image out of my mind!

No, you may not look underneath. Man-boobs are NOT on the approved list!

Invitation is open, airshow weekend. Maybe we'll have a 6-pack of beer BEFORE viewing this one, just to make sure we're both mellow enough... Looking forward to it.

ALF

Thanks Emil!

Are you implying that I stink? :woot.gif:/>

If so, in which way?

Is there an analogy, like being the one who stinks out a public toilet, and grins at the poor dudes who have to use if afterward?

:yahoo:/>

There is definitely something to be said about being in there first...

Thanks for following along.

ALF

Not saying that you stink.... Just saying that you do have a sense of humour, you know like flying in a commercial jet liner with a parachute pack on. Now that is very funny!!!! Not that you would ever do or ever did that....... :thumbsup:

Ah and I am not implying that whatever happened in there first was accidental or intentional ... But I'm sure that when you exited just knowing was so satisfying! And because we are being politically correct this would definitely not be considered Hazing even though vision I'm sure could be blurred to where all someone would see was a haze.

:cheers:

Emil

Not saying that you stink.... Just saying that you do have a sense of humour, you know like flying in a commercial jet liner with a parachute pack on. Now that is very funny!!!! Not that you would ever do or ever did that....... :thumbsup:/>

Ah and I am not implying that whatever happened in there first was accidental or intentional ... But I'm sure that when you exited just knowing was so satisfying! And because we are being politically correct this would definitely not be considered Hazing even though vision I'm sure could be blurred to where all someone would see was a haze.

:cheers:/>

Emil

What? Me nervous about flying? The worst part was there being nowhere to hook up the G Suit in my Economy Class seat... I can imagine that in the post 9/11 world, that little incident would never have happened! Not that it did, however... :rolleyes:

Pressing the LIKE button on your comments, buddy!

ALF

Did i miss something ??!??!! Airshow weekend is this year? OMG WHEN

The June long weekend (Sat/Sun 22 and 23 June). Look up "SAIB 2013" and you should find it. The jury's still out on how big a show it will be, with the cancellation of many USAF and USN airshow activities, but no official word on what might be the impact here.

I can't go on the Saturday, because it's my in-laws' 50th wedding anniversary... (should that really matter?) :rolleyes:

but I'm definitely going on the Sunday, and there might be another ARCer coming as well - his first time visiting here (AX 365).

Admission is free, as part of the 175th anniversary celebrations for Ville de Saguenay. Might be worth your while to come!

ALF