You know I used a picture I found to paint them that way and now for the life of me I can't find anything that looks like it. I've found some that you can definitely see a sharp edge on the silver outline but like you said they're about the same color so I think I'll go back and dry brush the center triangles and it should look a little better.

seen here

AIM120.JPG

I'm quite proud of the seeker heads on my AIM-9s which I'll show when they're decaled. I painted them semi-gloss black then did the fins in steel with a brush. Then I went back over the black with Helo Drab Green dry brushed which really gave it an anodized look and I brush painted tamiya smoke on the fins which made them look great too. Hopefully they turn out good after decals and wash.

Thanks for staying in touch!

Edited by Bigasshammm

Couple pics. Not sure how much will be able to be seen.

Gear legs.

Aim-9s. Not sure if you'll be able to tell the coloring but in person it looks good.

W flash

Good paint job. I think the colours are correct. I believe the AIM 9 should have some silver rings around them (the small bands near the front).

ALF

Good paint job. I think the colours are correct. I believe the AIM 9 should have some silver rings around them (the small bands near the front).

ALF

That was all done with decals. I put about 9 of them on each missile. No idea how accurate they are just going straight by academy's instructions.

Tomorrow ill give them a wash, wipe, and a dull cote and they'll be done. Pics after. I totally forgot to build their rails and attach them to the wings so ill probably have to repaint the wing ends. Good thing they're folded and separate.

So is it better to use the rubber tires or plastic ones since the kit comes with both? I'm inclined to use the rubber since obviously no painting but if they're a problem then ill go plastic.

Edited by Bigasshammm

As I said in the jet modelling thread, rubber. Absolutely no problem with deterioration of other effects of time. I also disagree with using plastic to be able to flatten the bottoms - these tires have 250 psi, and hold their shape on the real thing. There is almost no perceptible flattening (and especially sidewall bulging) on the real aircraft, and even in 1/32 it would be almost impossible to get it perfectly right.

ALF

• 2 weeks later...

Every now n then I do a little more on her. Just finished the main gear legs. All the wheels are almost done as well just need flat coated.

null_zpsc2592e5a.jpg

null_zpsbe186a6f.jpg

I just finished a project so all ill have is the Rf-4 I started for that GB and this so I should be able to put more effor into it. Getting to the dreaded weathering stage so I always put that off.

The gear looks quite realistic - but I will overlook the fact that according to the oleo extension chart, they are over-extended about 0.2 mm... :woot.gif:

I can almost see myself comparing the extension on the chart to those struts. Nice.

ALF

• 3 weeks later...

Took some masking off and did the HUD display. Butchered it then lost the smallest clear piece so I made a new one with plastic toy protector. Wasnt a fun task at all.

null_zpsbd5612a1.jpg

Dipped the canopies in future. Question: how long does te future need to cure till you can mask the canopies and not have all the tape residue left over? This is typically what kills my builds and I can't stand it. I use tamiya tape and really don't leave it on longer than normal so what's the deal. I'd like to get the windscreen on so I can do any paint touch up if needed after the fitting and then I can decal this thing.

Also in working today I dry brushed the rings around the exhaust with a shinier silver. In doing so I noticed I put two different cans on. One closed and twisted an the other straight. So out ame the knife and saw and I hacked off the twisted one and will replace with an identical straight can. (I know my technical terms can be too much for the layman sometimes lol). Already sprayed the new can will attach it tomorrow.

null_zps41d02c6a.jpg

The underside is ready for decals but I'm waiting to do everything at once.

I also sprayed the bombs od green today so I can finish them. Long fuses they will be.

Bombs almost ready for dirtying up. Sprayed the fuses black yesterday so they'll get the silver treatment today. Probably aluminum as that's about the only alclad I have.

null_zpse062180c.jpg

I ha to re-dip the canopies. They were covered in a film or something the first time. Cleaned them, polished them again, and re-dipped in future. I also ordered a mask set from sprue yesterday so that should've here Saturday. Hopefully it won't leave any residue.

Good to see you back on the Hornet!! I think the bombs in the time frame you're doing had the ablative coating on them. Not absolutley certain, but IIRC NavAir on carriers had the bombs covered in the coating.

Don

I'm sure they probably did. But idk how to do something like that. So I'm going with old school bombs. Oh well. Everything is out of box except the seat. And I actually might make the kit seat and use it instead so it can be a strict oob build.

Canopy painted. I didn't bother with the three step painting process so it may not have the rubber seal line but I can live with that. The thought of masking it twice was too much to bear. I'm happy with it and the clear looks nice and shiny.

Just dry fit here.

null_zpsd43c6fbf.jpg

null_zps1a3b6b76.jpg

I also finally painted the tops of the stabs and also the sidewinder rails. I painted them overall dgg so they may be a bit darker than they should but again Idc.

Getting closer!

Thanks NEO.

Started decals today. Bottom has all the stencils on. Not much to show. The walkways are all I did on top. I cut them into three pieces to get them to sit right and after the microsol they look nice.

Pic is when they were jus laid down.

null_zpsd44a3f93.jpg

More tomorrow kids willing.

Decals are on the main body. Still have to do the wingtips and elevators plus a couple on the canopies.

null_zps28145d6a.jpg

null_zps30a03bf6.jpg

null_zps708068f6.jpg

null_zps3551bc89.jpg

null_zpsd16347b7.jpg

Kit decals which are awesome. I still have to microsol the last ones I put on today but otherwise they're done. I also used the Steel Beech slime lights.

Getting dirty.

null_zpsa28d5dac.jpg

And after the black wash with the brown applied.

null_zpsb3d084cc.jpg

Will wipe down the brown when it dries and the underside will be done. It's pretty dirty but all pics I see show it to be thy way down there. Probably more so than the CAG bird would ever be but artistic license and blah blah blah.

Edited by Bigasshammm