The build looks really good, this isn't the easist kit to get the fit on the fuselage parts right. Doing great on a complex build.

Don

I've heard that a couple times but I must have gotten a lucky kit. So far everything has fit together nearly perfectly and I've barely even had to sand. Just enough here and there to knock off the glue marks and that's about it. I like kits that use panel lines as points where pieces glue together. Makes a lot more sense that way then putting another line in the middle of two panel lines that you have to sand away.

The most time consuming part so far has been when I cut the wing parts to raise the tips. Otherwise no drama anywhere.

Latest pics.

Got the front wing sections on lowered slightly. Idk if this is accurate and don't care lol. Also got the fuselage finger extensions on. Fit was good again.

8C07E75C-B2E1-4E01-9304-1D9DC612C7B8-8337-000002649B086B6D_zps425b2961.jpg

39D060AD-9F1E-40FD-90CC-915D36A2ADA1-8337-0000026495CDF7BE_zpsc7741a09.jpg

Added the top and bottom of the nose section. The front fuselage was a little narrower here so I cut a sprue shim to widen it and then fit was perfect.

3068C6BB-47D6-49CD-9AC7-813BEE5424B1-8337-000002649173726A_zpsc57c3ba2.jpg

I haven't dry fit the nose cone but it doesn't matter because it will be open with the radar out.

Haven't shown anything in a bit but I have been working. She's almost ready for paint. Pylons are on, flaps, tails n rudders, Most of the little antennae. Still have to add the mount for the targeting pod and a few other things and then clean her up and paint. After that I have just as much work in all the other minor assemblies. Weapons, radar, gas bags, etc.

57EE1A41-C42F-4F8E-BFFD-685BB672E6FB-8014-0000026071777B49_zpsa8d6daa6.jpg

E33AAF69-C043-4EB1-A503-D5643B7A88CF-8014-000002606D3F8D46_zps9ecf86a9.jpg

84927531-4A05-4169-9385-8E880DAF654B-8014-00000260685B06A2_zpscd6ed8e6.jpg

99959228-AB97-46FF-8AF2-04FCFFAD6A93-8014-0000026063CA8023_zpsaf8429bc.jpg

Well I went and tried to paint her yesterday. Then realized I didn't have much paint so I did what I can before I ran out. Most of the underside of the aircraft is lgg now with one wing left to go. I also painted the nose cone and the radar so I can detail paint the radar now and apply all the decals which is a surprising amount.

Rough spot of the month so I may or may not get to the lhs to get some more paint this weekend. May go on hiatus and work on some other things like the weapons and landing gear. I was looking at the instructions the other day and trying to figure out what I'm going to arm it with. So far I know for sure

- center line tank

- Flir pod

- Aim-9s on wingtips

- Harpoon missile (because I think these are some of the coolest looking missiles ever)

- Aim-7 on other belly rail

What I can't decide is what bombs to use. I'm thinking of using the Mk83s on the VER on one station and either of the GBUs or the JDAM on the other remaining stations

This is probably not a realistic loadout but in my living room air force it's a standard load!

Question for the experts

The FLIR pod is used for what weapon? So at least I'll make sure that's on there since I am putting the FLIR on.

Radar painting is done. The kit does a nice job of representing the radar but there's about 50 wires missing. Oh well.

BB110FA7-0473-4A73-83E3-F63FDB86926D-18105-00000549562C6E88_zps12cc01d2.jpg

5AE420B0-5D58-40D3-A5DA-D310ACD5934A-18105-0000054950AC8A6E_zps926fc0f8.jpg

I will be Futuring it once it's good and dry. Then adding decals. Then add a wash. Then a final dull cote.

Should look much better once that whole process is complete.

I added the ring that it slides/installs into upside down and glued it so that was a booboo. The only main problem with it is that now the locating holes for the nose mount are on the wrong side. I'll have to drill two new ones on the proper side.

- center line tank

- Flir pod

- Aim-9s on wingtips

- Harpoon missile (because I think these are some of the coolest looking missiles ever)

- Aim-7 on other belly rail

What I can't decide is what bombs to use. I'm thinking of using the Mk83s on the VER on one station and either of the GBUs or the JDAM on the other remaining stations

This is probably not a realistic loadout but in my living room air force it's a standard load!

Question for the experts

The FLIR pod is used for what weapon? So at least I'll make sure that's on there since I am putting the FLIR on.

Who cares about realism in the living room air force? :rolleyes:

Cool is what wins...

To answer your question about the FLIR pod, here's the condensed and generic version.

FLIR can be used for targeting air to ground,or even for air to air functions. Depending on the version of the pod, its air to air capabilities can be very rudimentary, or quite advanced. The kit pod would be one of the lower capability versions. Air to air, it would only help in tracking, searching, and maybe identifying, in concert with the radar (great job on it, BTW). So the FLIR would really only be used for air to ground attacks. Careful, though - some USN FLIR pods did not have laser designators.

The pod normally is used to locate and track a ground target, and contains a laser designator that shines a spot on the target that the laser-guided bomb will track toward. The most likely weapon to work with the FLIR will be some kind of LGB.

Another kind of weapon used on Hornets with FLIR pods is the Maverick. The FLIR pod would find the target, the pilot refines the tracking, then switches to the tiny field of view from the Maverick to launch the weapon.

Any air to ground weapon, though, can be dropped or fired with the help of the FLIR to enhance the positioning of the target designation.

My suggestion: hang an LGB on it somewhere. And don't forget to mount the FLIR on the left-hand fuselage mount. It is the only place it can go on a Hornet, because the cooling air is piped to Station 4 only.

Here's a complete story on the USN targeting pod AAS-38 series, which is the kit part AFAIK. Got this from Wikipedia, so don't anyone go ballistic about the depth of info - it's all open-source unclass here.

************************************************************************************

The Lockheed Martin AN/AAS-38 "Nitehawk" is a FLIR & laser designation & tracker pod system for use with laser-guided munitions.

The "Nighthawk" has been used with the F/A-18 Hornet, and has presumably been tested with the A-7E Corsair II. The Lockheed Martin [ex Loral ex Ford Aerospace] AAS-38A/B Nite Hawk forward-looking infrared (FLIR) is the Night Attack Hornet [F/A-18C and F/A-18D] Laser Target Designation (LTD) system for laser-guided munitions delivery. Mounted on the port fuselage (Station 4), the AAS-38 enhances the Hornet's night attack capability by providing real-time Forward Looking Infrared [FLIR] thermal imagery displayed on one of the cockpit CRTs and HUD. The AAS-38 FLIR can be fully integrated with other Hornet avionics, and data from the unit is used for the calculation of weapons release solutions. Only four of these were available during the Gulf War, seeing service with VMFA(AW)-121. The improved AAS-38A Laser Target Designator/Rangefinder (LTD/R) was cleared for Fleet service on Hornet-C/Ds in January 1993. The Martin-Marietta ASQ-173 Laser Detector Tracker/CAMera (LDT/CAM), a derivative of the Air Force PAVE PENNY pod, does not have the ability to laser designate targets. It is a passive tracking device that detects laser light reflected from targets illuminated by ground troops, other aircraft or the Hornet's own AAS-38 targeting FLIR on the other side of the fuselage. The ASQ-173 relays target location information to the cockpit displays and mission computers.

The Martin-Marietta AAS-38A mounted on an F/A-18C

The AAS-38 pod came in 2 varieties: The AAS-38 (non LASER Designator/TV FLIR only) AAS-38A LASER Target Designator/Ranger (LTD/R). The LASER Spot Tracker (LST) capability came from the use of the ASQ-173 pod. The AAS-38A and ASQ-173 pods are meant to be used together to be able to Designate for Laser Guided Weapons (Example: GBU-12) and "see" another source's LASER designator (LST capability of the ASQ-173 pod. The AN/AAS-38A is commonly referred to by the US Navy as TFLIR or Targeting FLIR. The AAS-38 pod system, as of May 2008, is being phased out and replaced by the ASQ-228 ATFLIR pod. This will be a sequential replacement as the ATFLIR pods become available. The introduction of the ATFLIR is seen as a significant capability increase in all Hornet US Navy fleet aircraft

*************************************************************************************************************

ALF

Progressing very Nice. If you want solid main gear but don't want to spend big bucks on the Legs I have the SAC Mains still untouched. I think I will get the G-Factor for my other Bug as well. Now if you do want to spend the coin you won't be disappointed with the G-Factor legs. You still need to use the kit parts for the small stuff which is ok in my books.

:cheers:

Emil

I think I'll try the kit gear with epoxying the metal struts to the inside. If it starts to sag years down the road then ill just build another one. Really don't want to pay 35$+ for gear and I've never been a fan of the SAC gear. Thanks though

Excellent progress!! Something i remember on the kit, if you have the flaps at 45 degrees, the Sparrows on the fuselage shoulder pylons will not fit.... least i think it was the Hornet....been a rough month, you should check them anywho.

Don

I only planned on one so ill have to take a look. I've been building and sanding sanding sanding the weapons just haven't test fit anything yet. Will check that out thanks!

Ill get my paint Wednesday so I can get back to tackling it. Although I may try a preshade I've never done one.

Alright weapons load by stations.

1 - aim-9

2 - 2 aim-120

3 - 2 mk82 (not sure long or short fuse what u think?)

4 - flir pod

5 - centerline tank

6 - empty

7 - 2 mk82 (again vote short or long fuse)

8 - agm 84 harpoon

9 - aim-9

So let me know short fuse bombs or long.

Again disclaimer I dot care if this is realistic. It's going to look cool!

Got paint the other day finally got a chance to spray it today.

Painted the entirety of the main body in MM light ghost gray. I'll let that sit for a couple days then decide how I'm going to do the dark ghost gray. I'm of the mind that USN's camo scheme is not a nice tight line and more of a blend so I probably won't mask anything and will just shoot it freehand. But if after looking at pictures I determine it is then I'll mask everything off. Either way I can touch up with the LGG since I still have to do the gear doors and some weapons and such with it. I also noticed I still need to sand some small spots where I repaired seams by the slime lights in front of the tails.

Anyway she's gray.

A2579EE9-FB54-4F97-A01C-5F123DE5AEF3-5499-0000017BC3CB2E47_zpsc36cd793.jpg

1C145E63-D69C-4AB3-A7EF-428F4BB603AE-5499-0000017BBF054BD4_zps11ac5dfc.jpg

Well it's been a while but there is progress. I managed to fix some seams discovered after the first paint cote. Re-sprayed the lgg. Then today I finished off with the dgg on top. I must say that MM must have changed their paint because the old bottle I have is very dark but the new bottle I just bought looked very similar to lgg. It's still sitting on the table getting good and dey so pictures to follow.

I did manage to finish the AGM-84 harpoon missile. It's currently drying from its flat cote.

Also been painting some side parts of the weapons and pylon mounts.

Pics to follow later once everything can be handled.

On a sad note my air compressor bought the farm while painting the hornet. This will seriously derail my modeling until i can get a new one. But I won't have any money to put towards one till after my trip to Pittsburgh in early April. Ugh.

Pics of where I'm at...

Underside

7E29636D-380A-42B0-BA87-AB5092437391-24699-000006DA92B4078D_zpsbadbc105.jpg

Topside.

60C058E9-4123-4F1F-BCDB-1567311EF74F-24699-000006DA8E5E1AB3_zps63867d9c.jpg

Not sure if you can see the color difference. It's subtle so I'm happy. ALso not the best sanding job around the windscreen but I can fix that later when I attach the windscreen.

5461668A-C60C-4F46-A244-C8539C4014D1-24699-000006DA89B6B508_zps54e87396.jpg

Finished Harpoon on very dusty shelf.

E8C27D8A-12D0-462C-885D-8D66B752F775-24699-000006DC2FD5E081_zpse6fa8ef5.jpg

0B172A56-8677-4722-8BAF-B5D314B45D3A-24699-000006DC2B638510_zps3f553124.jpg

I can do some things without my airbrush like paint the main gear wells and such but otherwise this build can't be completed till I replace the compressor. So it may be a bit.

• 3 weeks later...

Lil bit more done. Haven't done much to the actual aircraft as I'm compressorless but I did manage to finish another weapons station.

0379A612-76D2-4A5B-B1C4-87B03B241873-13134-000003AE173728E6_zpsfd2841b3.jpg

DFA8E5B6-A644-4E8A-920B-2FEA62F400A2-13134-000003AE1322BEC2_zps711d1e00.jpg

And the two completed weapons so far.

46266A53-098E-422B-83ED-2AD2C6BEB163-13134-000003AE0FAF86BB_zpsdc62e5ec.jpg

Next ill do the center line tank since its painted. Next week I'm on vacation and I plan on tackling the gear.

• 2 weeks later...

Back at it!

No picture yet as I haven't taken them but I am back of the world of the air brush and thus able to continue this project. Since we last met I have sprayed all the gear doors. Tamiya white primer on the white areas and LGG on the outer surface. They're all still on the sprues and I'll have to tackle the red outline.

** They do still have the red outline on the doors during OIF yes? I'm sure that's pretty standard carrier OPs but just making sure before I do it.

I also touched up the fuselage and sprayed the elevators finally. Will be detail painting the main gear bays soon and also need to spray the exhaust nozzles then the fuse will be Futured and ready for decals.

Just put some Future on the 2 AIM-9s and the centerline tank so they will be decaled probably tomorrow.

I've begun work on the gear legs as well. The nose gear is complete and painted with TFWP. It needs Future then decals then detail paint then wash then flat cote. Sounds like a lot but is quick.

Main gear legs are in progress. A lot to clean up on them.

Pics later today hopefully.

Looking good so far. I have been following along since the beginning and I like what you have done.

The only suggestion I would give is about the AIM-120s. I don't believe the edges of the fins should be silver like that. I think they should be all one colour. A quick Google search should get you some references. I use metallic grey myself.

Can't wait to see more progress.

Denis