Getting dirty.

Will wipe down the brown when it dries and the underside will be done. It's pretty dirty but all pics I see show it to be thy way down there. Probably more so than the CAG bird would ever be but artistic license and blah blah blah.

You scared me with the first dirty pic, but the second looks nice. You could even make the APU exhaust a bit blacker, and trail a bit of smoke backward from the exhaust, not too far. Aft of the wheel wells, there is a lot of oil that drips, and it gets dirty fast.

ALF

You scared me with the first dirty pic, but the second looks nice. You could even make the APU exhaust a bit blacker, and trail a bit of smoke backward from the exhaust, not too far. Aft of the wheel wells, there is a lot of oil that drips, and it gets dirty fast.

ALF

Scared because of all the dirt or scared because I left the wings clean in the first pic. I made the entirety of the undersides look like that. Allowed it to dry for a few hours. Then went back with many many q-tips dipped in water to remove. Everything was done in direction of airflow and it turned out good. The brown actually isn't very noticeable once removed may hit that again.

Also this is only step 1. Once the entire plane is "washed" this way then I will seal with flat cote and then can add some more with pastels here and there. I went with various pics found online from walkarounds and such.

Changed my mind and shot the flat cote on the bottom first. Then added the legs. Only one o which is glued because it was twisted slightly so I had to modify the mount. The other too are tight as could be.

null_zps500e0199.jpg

null_zpsdd0cafd1.jpg

null_zps6bb2ef84.jpg

Happily she sits level and square.

Words only no pictures today. I painted the dreaded red borders of the landing gear doors today. Turned out well. Also painted the white antennae on the fuselage. Will go back over with a wash as I don't like how they stick out but they are supposed to be white so alas.

I'm getting the end of the build fever so I'm trying to push this to completion. I even found a place to put it where it won't be all dusty all the time.

• 2 weeks later...

Getting closer.

Elevators are on. A beautiful snug fit without glue leaving them posable.

null_zps4c3a3ea3.jpg

Top side has ha it's wash and flat coat. I'm not going to out all the do not paint stencils on the antenna. They seem too dark to me and would show up too much I believe.

null_zps010086f4.jpg

Put the front windscreen on. Needed a little stretching. Hopefully the glue holds. I have also successfully knocked off and lost the second HUD screen again so I said screw it.

null_zps3d9322ad.jpg

Getting closer.

Elevators are on. A beautiful snug fit without glue leaving them posable.

null_zps4c3a3ea3.jpg

Top side has ha it's wash and flat coat. I'm not going to out all the do not paint stencils on the antenna. They seem too dark to me and would show up too much I believe.

null_zps010086f4.jpg

Put the front windscreen on. Needed a little stretching. Hopefully the glue holds. I have also successfully knocked off and lost the second HUD screen again so I said screw it.

null_zps3d9322ad.jpg

The horizontal stabs rest in a "nose down" (front edge up, back edge down) position with power off, but you are right that these parts tend to sit in place nicely without glue.

I feel your pain on that HUD glass. This one is a bit easier to get right than the 1/48 Hasegawa one (which has me cursing and swearing every build), but it is still rather finicky. It looks OK without it!

ALF

Well I spoke too soon as I got 0 time to work on it over the weekend. Spontaneous deck building for a friend and then my union golf outing Sunday.

Anyway as seen here she's real close. Only things left to do are finish up the boarding ladder and add it. Put a few tiny decals on the nose cone then wash and flat coat it and mount it. Then finally mount the wingtips and canopy. The canopy will be done last to avoid as much breakage as possible.

null_zpsb4bdf148.jpg

null_zps590495c5.jpg

• 2 weeks later...