Some progress on the Alpha Jet...

• 4 weeks later...

Is this 1/48 Kinetic Alpha Jet project dead ?

It is no longer on Michael Benolkin's list of future releases here :

http://www.cybermodeler.com/special/2012_acft_scale.shtml

Thanks for the info !

:tumble:/>

SharkOwl

What I have heard is, that Kinetic has rescheduled the release for July/ August due to some corrections and refinements on the moulds. The Belgian/ French and Canadian versions should be first, while the Luftwaffe Alpha Jet apparently will be released under a different new label.

What I have heard is, that Kinetic has rescheduled the release for July/ August due to some corrections and refinements on the moulds. The Belgian/ French and Canadian versions should be first, while the Luftwaffe Alpha Jet apparently will be released under a different new label.

Here are images of the kit in the paint for the Canadian version.

Photographs were taking in a Top Secret location (I know a few of you will recognize the locale). :)/>/>

photo2_zpscd29a612.jpg

photo_zpsff62cfad.jpg

photo1_zpsd7ad0c30.jpg

Well **** eh? It looks like the kink is there on the wing leading edge after all!

Just goes to show, ONCE AGAIN, that decrying the "pathetic efforts" made by kit manufacturers to make models that even vaguely represent the real thing, without actually seeing the plastic, does no-one any good!!!

Thank you Kinetic!! I will be adding this kit to my collection, GLADLY!!

M

Edited by Matt Walker

Well **** eh? It looks like the kink is there on the wing leading edge after all!

The wing leading edge kink has always been there all the time. The question is is it visible enough. The (very nice !) paint job of the test shot build gives the impression that it is but that's because the camo/black delimitation isn't parallel to the leading edge. I suppose it should be.

Just goes to show, ONCE AGAIN, that decrying the "pathetic efforts" made by kit manufacturers to make models that even vaguely represent the real thing, without actually seeing the plastic, does no-one any good!!!

It just doesn't show anything. As Scooby said the release has been slightly delayed. One of the reasons is that Kinetic has listened and taken in account some comments that have been made (unlike some other manufacturers...) and is doing some adjustments. It's a win-win situation:

- the guys who know the characteristic shapes of the aircraft contribute to help making a more accurate model; the accuracy guys spend less time fixing things and/or less money on correction sets

- the manufacturer increases the sales figures by making the accuracy guys happier; he makes the tooling less "disposable" (some people won't be waiting for someone else's tooling)

Accuracy of a model can be evaluated to a certain extent by examining CAD model photos. Fit of the parts can only be evaluated by "seeing the plastic".

Edited by Laurent

I've always thought that the success of a product is due to a thorough preliminary study. Manufacturers must go a step ahead and not behind the consumer. The klink is now visible because it has been added later.

A tip for Kinetic, it is better late and good than early and wrong.

I still wonder if I®ll have to purchase the v.02 Prowler...

I.Martin

I agree with Laurent and believe that the slight kink has always been there. The paint scheme just accentuates it and makes it more visible - just take a careful look. Not that I think it is a big deal anyway..

• 1 month later...

The boxart is really nice. The estimated release date is june (earlier mentioned in this thread) and i am wondering which company reboxes the german version since there is nothing anounced.

by the look of the (nose of the) second aircraft on the boxart, it might not be impossible to get both versions in the same box... it doesn't require that much extra parts to do so!

The boxart is really nice. The estimated release date is june (earlier mentioned in this thread) and i am wondering which company reboxes the german version since there is nothing anounced.

The background Alpha is a Discovery Air Defenses (yep for real the acronym is D.A.D.! - Whiskey Tango Foxtrot!)

aircraft formally know as the "Top Aces". DAD uses German Alphas so it look like both variants of the Alpha will

be included in the one box. It will be nice to see the "Top Aces" as an option.

IMG_8429MapleFlag42-Rotation_zpsa32afcbc.jpg

Edited by centuaryseries

it might not be impossible to get both versions in the same box... it doesn't require that much extra parts to do so!

Didn't german Alphas have STENCEL seats ?

• 3 weeks later...

Looking to the box the kit will bring three decal versions:

And if these don't look interesting, Caracal Models will release two 1/48 sheets in August that will cover markings for all former and current military users of the Alpha Jet.

Edited by KursadA

My bet is ITALERI will rebox it with luft decals...

My bet is on Patrouille de France decals. I don't know if Kinetic will provide STENCEL seats to make a Luftwaffe Alpha.

I just pre-ordered from Lucky Model. Looking forward to building one in Top Aces (DADS) colours. The "founding fathers" of Top Aces are good buddies of mine, and I see them flying around here all the time. Since they painted them up in the aggressor-type schemes, they are more interesting than the old pseudo-Luftwaffe colours they had before.

And I don't care about subtle kinks in the wings, or the box art - I am just super happy that it will be possible to do a close approximation of these airframes in this scheme!

ALF