F-14 Bombcat question

Arabian Gulf (Nov. 8, 2004) - Aviation Ordnancemen assigned to the Jolly Rogers of Fighter Squadron One Zero Three (VF-103), load Mk-83 1,000 pound general purpose bombs fitted with proximity-fuzes on an F-14B Tomcat aboard the aircraft carrier USS John F. Kennedy (CV 67). Carrier Air Wing Seventeen (CVW-17) aircraft aboard Kennedy are supporting ground troops in Fallujah, Iraq. Proximity-fuzed bombs are used against targets such as troops in trenches, radars, trucks, and other vehicles. Kennedy and embarked CVW-17 are currently on deployment in the 5th Fleet area of responsibility in support of Operation Iraqi Freedom (OIF). U.S. Navy photo by Photographer's Mate 3rd Class Joshua Karsten (RELEASED)

041108-N-8704K-006.jpg

wolfik, I am glad you asked the question as I was wondering the same thing. I love the pic provided above as I am in the middle of doing a VF-103 bird but since I have no LANTIRN pod to put on it I was going to load it out as a purely Air-to-Air platform. If I don't need the LANTIRN pod for dumb bombs I might change that plan.

Does anyone know if Bombcats flew without the LANTIRN pod when carrying dumb bombs?

Denis

wolfik, I am glad you asked the question as I was wondering the same thing. I love the pic provided above as I am in the middle of doing a VF-103 bird but since I have no LANTIRN pod to put on it I was going to load it out as a purely Air-to-Air platform. If I don't need the LANTIRN pod for dumb bombs I might change that plan.

Does anyone know if Bombcats flew without the LANTIRN pod when carrying dumb bombs?

Denis

This all depends on what time frame you're building your VF-103 tomcat from. Early VF-103 cats from about 96 to about 98 were rarely loaded with LTS because it was still new to the fleet.

If you're doing any of the jets from 2002 through to the last cruise, LTS (aka LANTIRN) was attached to the jets. They did drop MK-20 Rockeyes and MK-83's during their COMP2EX, but typical loadouts during the combat cruise were 2 GBU-12's but I think on rare occasion MK-83's were loaded.

Here's a pic of Vic 100 from the 2004 COMP2EX with the MK-20's being loaded.

Comp2Ex002_zps9ba3ce14.jpg

Here's one of Vic 105 on the deck loaded with MK-83's.

Comp2Ex001-1_zps290a253b.jpg

Edited by VFA-103guy

"As the needs for CAS grew in OIF, it became standard to load Mk 82 500-lb 'dumb' bombs on all the TARPS jets."

Photos show a pair of low drag Mk 82s on the forward pallets with the TARPS pod in back.

On March 17, 2003, a pair of TARPS equipped VF-2 F-14Ds each dropped two Mk 82s on Saddam Hussein's presidential yacht.

- US Navy F-14 Tomcat units of Operation Iraqi Freedom, by Tony Holmes.