Let me first say that while I like the H-34, I am no except so I may get things incorrect. I will be mostly be using Lundh's H-34 book and Squadron in action also by Lundh. I also plan to look over the Revell kit, while I don't think there is going to be much to compare since there is 30 years between molds, it will be interesting to see what Revell did right so long ago. I hope to not only note discrepancies but mention possible fixes.

For the non-rivet counters,

Overall it appears to be a good kit and most folks will see it has an H-34 if they know what it is.

For the markings, the box art is of HMM-162 around 66/67 before they transitioned into the H-46 and not of them in-country as the artwork seems to suggest. 162 was in-country from 62/63 and 65/66. The noseart was not present and only had YS+bird # on the nose. Also the yellow tail stripe was removed.

For the next scheme of HMM-363, it appears that it might be missing the unit logo of a white four leaf clover w/a red lion in the center. It is also missing the YZ66 across the nose. This is also state side markings when they deployed to Alaska, similar to the 162 markings it should have a green color applied to the transmission cooler vents where 162 had red.

5.SikorskyHUSorH-34USMC.jpg

http://dmn.wpengine.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/09/5.SikorskyHUSorH-34USMC.jpg

The final scheme is for the Reserve unit at Alameda,CA from 1968-72. The 's' is incorrect and should be a '5'. Missing star and bar on left side profile.

With all the heroic work the H-34 provided in Vietnam, it is a shame that none of the decal schemes represent that.

Lundh's H-34 book has photo of the last two schemes on pg 120 and 122.

For the rivet counters out there I have seen the following in no order:

PE screens, great addition but it is blocked off under the pe by moderately thick plastic so all the engine and rotor housing area work is covered up. It will take sometime but I think the plastic can be removed.

The transmission cooling vents behind the rotor are the incorrect design. The plastic is uniform and it should not be. No easy fix.

For the fold tail section, it is mostly correct. J3,4,8,9 should be 'V' shaped not straight.

J26 middle hole on left side is to large, fill and re-drill smaller hole

J21 add missing ledge and cover rectangle piece on bottom

Add wire attaching to both sides

08SikorskyUH34DSeahorse.jpg

http://www.williammaloney.com/Aviation/MidAtlanticAirMuseum/OtherOutdoorExhibits/images/08SikorskyUH34DSeahorse.jpg

Under nose add plumbing even if adding armor plate. None of the kit schemes suggest plate is needed and should be left off. Not sure about the rest of the underside, the kit appears to be missing some bits. Almost sure for the given schemes, more research is needed.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/66219982@N06 /7064958745/in/set-72157629786157789

remove space to see photo

Hope that helps for now. I plan to add more later.

More info, I talked to Scale Warships about the blade fold. It will work with the Gallery or Revell kit. They are making a set just for the Gallery kit since the Italeri fuselage is smaller than the Gallery kit but that only effects the blade holders I am told. Their products are only at their site currently.

http://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=263

Additional if you want to go with the Revell kit, Ross McArthur of Oz is making a PE set. Release date unknown.

Proto02_zps3df82b9b.jpg

Additionally I heard the decals are the wrong font and size. :(/>

Edited by Tank

More info, I talked to Scale Warships about the blade fold. It will work with the Gallery or Revell kit. They are making a set just for the Gallery kit since the Italeri fuselage is smaller than the Gallery kit but that only effects the blade holders I am told. Their products are only at their site currently.

http://www.scalewarship.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=263

Additional if you want to go with the Revell kit, Ross McArthur of Oz is making a PE set. Release date unknown.

Proto02_zps3df82b9b.jpg

Additionally I heard the decals are the wrong font and size. :(/>/>

Tank, did I understand that the Scale warships rotor head IS appropriate for the the Gallery H-34? I saw the statement speaking of Gallery and Italeri in the same sentence . Did I miss something in my rapidly advancing senility ?

Dave

Tank, did I understand that the Scale warships rotor head IS appropriate for the the Gallery H-34? I saw the statement speaking of Gallery and Italeri in the same sentence . Did I miss something in my rapidly advancing senility ?

Dave

:D Your good. From what I understand the blade fold pieces are correct for all H-34/Wessex kits. The issue is the support brackets. To get the correct the look the length of the support rods have to change since the Gallery, Italeri and Revell kits all have different widths.

VH-34C_57-1684_8542.jpg

HTH

:D/> Your good. From what I understand the blade fold pieces are correct for all H-34/Wessex kits. The issue is the support brackets. To get the correct the look the length of the support rods have to change since the Gallery, Italeri and Revell kits all have different widths.

VH-34C_57-1684_8542.jpg

HTH

Thanks Tank. Guess I can actually make the support rods though my capacity to make a mess of that is boundless. I don't think I'll go all AMS on this, just want to do a nice -34 . I have the Marine issue version, looking forward to the Navy/Coast Guard variants. I understand that Gallery will offer different parts and pieces for each type.

All good news ,thank you

Dave

Thanks Tank. Guess I can actually make the support rods though my capacity to make a mess of that is boundless. I don't think I'll go all AMS on this, just want to do a nice -34 . I have the Marine issue version, looking forward to the Navy/Coast Guard variants. I understand that Gallery will offer different parts and pieces for each type.

All good news ,thank you

Dave

I have heard about them possibly doing that but from what I have seen both the Marine and Navy kit are the same minus the decals. For the CG bird you need the bent legs. The aux tank is in the kit but they don't tell you how to attach it. My guess the parts are in the kit. Oh and find some decals.

Proto02_zps3df82b9b.jpg

Regarding the AM PE set mentioned above, I think you better tell the guy in Oz to do some research, just from a quick glance I can see 60% or what he had drawn above is incorrect. I'd hate him to produce a set and it get panned.

Just trying to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Had some time to mess around with the kit this past weekend.

Looking at the tail, there is a number of spots where you add pe that should be drilled out. There is some raised detail but I think it is too proud and should be filed down a little bit. The plastic is soft, so don't get carried away with sanding.

If you look at the rectangle on the tail, you need to drill out two additional rectangles as they are not added.

gallery_64101_parts2.jpg

H-34G_80+34_20856.jpg

Also missing is a looped wire just above the screen at the elbow of the tail on top and also on top of the stab.

H-34G_80+34_20823.jpg

While we are at the elbow on top. Gallery gives you two sections, the top section that they call out appears to be correct. The lower section seems to covered over with a plate. So either sand off the three raised sides completely or sand a little bit and add a some thin plastic as a cover.

Still have to do the small rectangles at the base of the tail.

249.jpg

Question, is this of any use to anyone? I am still going to be making notes along the way but just curious if anyone is finding value to this.

Edited by Tank

As someone who next to nothing about whirlybirds I'd say this is great info, Tank- thanks! Looking at those two grab-handles that straddle that vent, I'd just cut 'em out from the trailing edge and rebuild the handle parts with stock and sand smooth.

I've been curtailing my kit purchases lately, but this is one on my to-git list, particularly due to the blade fold option. Again, thanks for the info!

chuk

Question, is this of any use to anyone? I am still going to be making notes along the way but just curious if anyone is finding value to this.

Absolutely. I'll be building the kit at some-point, your info is invaluable. Thanks for taking the time to post this stuff.

John

Looking at those two grab-handles that straddle that vent, I'd just cut 'em out from the trailing edge and rebuild the handle parts with stock and sand smooth.

You da man Chuk, I have been thinking about how to do that. I was going with drill out each side, can I make that straight on both sides. I was still thinking on it. That sounds like the ticket. I have some photos coming on what might be behind the screens if one can see through them. I think the screens are too thick but I understand the scale limitations. I am going to paint the interior tail black to hide the inside. Assemble than cut out the handles. Brilliant!

Ryan

Thanks for putting this together, I hope to pick one up before too long, looks like a good kit.

Proto02_zps3df82b9b.jpg

I'd like to hear more about the pe. I have one of the Revel kits and it screams for pe to replace the mess, I mean mesh, they did.

Thanks again.

mason

Mason,

It is still under development and it appears the set will be around $20. I agree something is needed and this is the only set I know that address the pe needs. Cobra Company is needed for the rest. Hope to hear more on the bent rotor soon for the Gallery and Revell kit.

Just stumbled on this tread :)/> I've been working on the H34 for a few weeks now, great kit even with some flaws.....

200_0065_zpsb5e21ff7.jpg

Bladegrips are 3D printed

200_0062_zps1e4c26e3.jpg

The kit does need some extra detailing though

200_0066_zps47caf6d1.jpg

Hope to get some paint onto it this weekend :thumbsup:/>

Grtz Rudi

Just stumbled on this tread :)/>/>/>/> I've been working on the H34 for a few weeks now, great kit even with some flaws.....

200_0065_zpsb5e21ff7.jpg

Bladegrips are 3D printed

200_0062_zps1e4c26e3.jpg

The kit does need some extra detailing though

200_0066_zps47caf6d1.jpg

Hope to get some paint onto it this weekend :thumbsup:/>/>/>/>

Grtz Rudi

Looks great, I like all the little details you added. Can you explain more about them? I havn't got those parts yet. Still working with the tail.

Any issues with the build?

Are those the blade grips for the Wessex?

Look forward to seeing more.

Edited by Tank

Looks great, I like all the little details you added. Can you explain more about them? I havn't got those parts yet. Still working with the tail.

Any issues with the build?

Are those the blade grips for the Wessex?

Look forward to seeing more.

Hi Tank,

As far as I know there are no aftermarket set available yet, so it's all scratchbuild, except the bladegrips for the Wessex. I think they share the same rotorhead...Also did some extra rivets but used scale drawings for the Wessex, dont know if they also aply for the H34 though :-)Looks better and will make painting easyer.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/bk330063/200_0030_zps0534ae4f.jpg

Cockpit already painted, added a collectivestick. Don't know how they could have missed that!?? Made new cushions in Magic Sculp, looks much better than the plastic square MRC added.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/bk330063/200_0032_zps0fd00131.jpg

Cut away the plastic underneath the PE, this really improves the look on this bird, and added some detail in there from plastic strip.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v334/bk330063/200_0046_zpscb17d841.jpg

Little resin connectors were added to the winch and enginecompartment already drilled out to recieve wirring after painting. These connectors are for cars but the smallest ones can also be used on 1/48 kits. Try www.topstudiohobby.com look for TD23049 resin hose joints....

http://topstudiohobby.com/product/TD23049-4.jpg

How do I post pics here?? I only get the URL???

Grtz Rudi

Edited by kmk rudi

Hi Tank,

As far as I know there are no aftermarket set available yet, so it's all scratchbuild, except the bladegrips for the Wessex. I think they share the same rotorhead...Also did some extra rivets but used scale drawings for the Wessex, dont know if they also aply for the H34 though :-)Looks better and will make painting easyer.

200_0030_zps0534ae4f.jpg

Cockpit already painted, added a collectivestick. Don't know how they could have missed that!?? Made new cushions in Magic Sculp, looks much better than the plastic square MRC added.

200_0032_zps0fd00131.jpg

Cut away the plastic underneath the PE, this really improves the look on this bird, and added some detail in there from plastic strip.

200_0046_zpscb17d841.jpg

Little resin connectors were added to the winch and enginecompartment already drilled out to recieve wirring after painting. These connectors are for cars but the smallest ones can also be used on 1/48 kits. Try www.topstudiohobby.com look for TD23049 resin hose joints....

How do I post pics here?? I only get the URL???

Grtz Rudi

Great work Rudi.

For photobucket, click in box by the listing for IMG Code, wait till it says copied and just paste it in the thread.

There is company that is doing 3d grips and blade holders. Link. They are updating the length of the blade holders for Gallery and Revell kits.

I used the IMG code, maybe I didn't wait long enough?

That's excactly the set I used for the bladefold!

Had to redo the bladeholders several times until I got it right. As I folded the tail I needed to alter the angle of the upper left bladeholder so it wouldn't tough the tailhousing, also had to straighten the blades so they could pass the tailhousing.

As parts are to small to CA I soldered the whole thing! Even then it's still fragile!!

First paint today!! More pics later.

Grtz Rudi

Edited by kmk rudi

Just got some paint on it, working on the decals now

179_7908_zps111ed15b.jpg

Made some anti slipcoating on the tail, mostly to hide my sloppy sanding work :-)

Grtz Rudi

Your very close on the code, but you only need one http://

and I think you grab the wrong photo, I do like the F4U though.

179_7908_zps111ed15b.jpg